What's so wonderful about Solstice?

Wonderful photos Terry, thank you for going to the trouble of posting all of that!

I appreciate advice about the washing line too, I do have a travel line somewhere.

Great to see a few CCers coming along on my cruise, maybe you should join us Mic :) Anyone know if there's a roll call going?

Wonderful photos Terry, thank you for going to the trouble of posting all of that!

I appreciate advice about the washing line too, I do have a travel line somewhere.

Great to see a few CCers coming along on my cruise, maybe you should join us Mic :) Anyone know if there's a roll call going?

I would have loved to as I also have quite a few friends aboard but I need to be In NZ a week after this cruise departs so Couldn't mange it.

Check it's a suction cap. From memory there wasn't a lot of good places to hook it on to if it just has the hooks. GO Travel make one - David Jones sell them. The suction caps are removable so you can use hooks or the suction caps. The Korjo one only has hooks.

Those piccys look bloomin marvellous.:)Esp the lawned area.:)

clairebearinaus: Wonderful photos Terry' date=' thank you for going to the trouble of posting all of that! [/quote']

MicCanberra: Love your work terry.

Appreciate reading these nice comments' date=' especially from the very wise and smart MicCanberra!! Right??

The [b']credit goes to the creative designers[/b] who were being more creative in "thinking outside of the box" when putting together the ideas for these Solstice-class ships.

For those who like the lawns with Celebrity, below is another "eye-candy" sample. Many more pictures on the live/blog for the Solstice in the Med. Enjoy??!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,891 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In the top, back area near the Sunset Bar with live grass, some enjoy this area by reading, playing on the lawn or sun-bathing there. Usually, it’s not too crowded!:

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

We traveled Solstice last June, food was very good in the MDR. Our staff was outstanding. One of our family members could no make dinner...he got a surprise knock on the door, our wait staff delivered to him...life time memory. Drink package was very nice, not sure if the Molecular bar is still they, All Cabins seemed larger w/ the round end of the bed. Don't recall if the pool was adult only that was inside...best part for me on a cruise is being outside, wind, rain, stormy or sunny...it all good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would have loved to as I also have quite a few friends aboard but I need to be In NZ a week after this cruise departs so Couldn't mange it.

This cruise only goes for a week.:D fly to no after the cruise.

I tried to find one but couldn't see it.

I've just booked a family cruise on the Solstice after hearing (mostly on this board) what a great ship it is, one of if not the best sailing in this part of the world.

I've had trouble navigating the Celebrity website to find out what we can expect on this cruise, but the snippets I've read so far left me feeling like we're going to miss some of the things we've enjoyed on Princess;

- movies on the upper deck in the evenings

- free movies on demand in the cabins

- cheap soft drink/mocktail package

- indoor pool in cooler weather (for kids)

There must be lots of other wonderful things on offer which make Solstice as good as or better than, say, Golden Princess, so please... tell me what they are!

We prefer being outside on the decks when weather permits, and not keen to spend a bunch on optional extras.

Many thanks

having cruised on many cruise ships in different parts of the world I think your question is basically difficult to answer.yes we have cruised on the solstice and yes she is a gorgeous ship,but there are things on every cruise ship that stand out,and with to many to mention here,here are just a few.disregarding any freebies thrown in as part of your cruise,we are talking mainly about the ship itself.

msc poesia / the best entertainment of any cruise we have been on (to Iceland)

ncl Norwegian jade / best teppanyaki I have ever been to

diamond princess / best crème brulee I have ever had

the carnival spirit / the most fun ship of all

hal volendam / the most comphy and homely cruise ship of them all/ with the best pastries of any cruise ship on the ocean.

so cruising is subjective,and yes the solstice is a great ship,we are booked on her early next year, so she musn't be to bad.

all I can say is go on the solstice, she has some great features, and for us the best was the overhang on our balcony in aqua class and the ''must do'' murano restaurant.

cheers

yes, although they will come around with the next one again in the future.

Probably. But this time around had extra $300 OBC on top of the standard $150 per person. Plus reduce deposits of $200 pp. I booked direct with cruiseline. Must admit. It looks nice. I might not want to go back.

Edited by icat2000

Probably. But this time around had extra $300 OBC on top of the standard $150 per person. Plus reduce deposits of $200 pp. Must admit. It looks nice. I might not want to go back.

That is always an issue when you spoil yourself.

Edited by MicCanberra

Probably. But this time around had extra $300 OBC on top of the standard $150 per person. Plus reduce deposits of $200 pp. I booked direct with cruiseline. Must admit. It looks nice. I might not want to go back.

You'll probably find there are some things you think are better than Princess, and some you don't. ;)

Been on Celebrity Solstice once, about 3 years ago, Sydney to NZ. I thought the hype about her coming here was over the tip, IMO the ship and its services were overated. Food was ordinary, no real promenade deck. Did not like that glass blowing - corning ware stuff up top nor the grass lawn with signage..'Keep off the grass. Food was often cold, due I was told to ceramic hot plates in kitchens not efficient. The ship's library was the worst I have seen, very small.

On the plus side, good cabins and en suites. Plus for me a good point was the evening menus marked GF where appropriate.

Edited by NSWP

You'll probably find there are some things you think are better than Princess, and some you don't. ;)

I like Princess product but no where can you get a drinks package on Princess in a promotion. Plus I wanted to do something over Easter than didn't take too many leave days and it fitted in nicely. I just splashed out a bit more.

Edited by icat2000

I like Princess product but no where can you get a drinks package on Princess in a promotion.

True, but at least the Princess drinks packages are affordable, and you can save money by booking an inside cabin. To get a drinks package on Celebrity you have to book an oceanview at least.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Solstice. We liked her, especially for cool weather cruising like NZ. She's very stable too. But for warm weather cruising I like Princess because of the Sanctuary.

Plus I wanted to do something over Easter than didn't take too many leave days and it fitted in nicely. I just splashed out a bit more.

Sounds perfect then. Enjoy! :)

Been on Celebrity Solstice once, about 3 years ago, Sydney to NZ. I thought the hype about her coming here was over the tip,

True. The marketers there know it works though.

Same thing with Explorer of the Seas. All that marketing bunk about being the largest ship ever here last year - when it wasn't! Why let facts get in the way though... look at all the media attention they got, and then people believe it as something special because that's what they heard.

The Solstice does have a huge draw for me, I so want to get back on her again.

I heard from Celebrity that you bring your lawn mower to cut the grass up top on Solstice Mic, LOL.

I heard from Celebrity that you bring your lawn mower to cut the grass up top on Solstice Mic, LOL.

We were disappointed with the famous grass area on Solstice. One side is a smoking area and, on the day we went up there on our last NZ cruise, there were fumes from the funnels swirling over the back of the ship. It was most unpleasant.

We did spend some time up there at sailaway in Auckland and that seemed to be OK, but very cool. They have lovely tartan rugs to snuggle into though.