Recent Reflections on Tuscan's Ribeye?

Tommy3putts

I am the daughter of a butcher. First of all the best steaks on the Reflection and Silhouette are at the Lawn Grill. Having said that, you will not get a one inch or more bone in Rib steak on any ship. I have sailed on many celebrity ships and always dine in each specialty restaurant at least once per cruise and can tell you, you will never get a steak as good or thick as the steaks from a good butcher cut to order or at a fine steak house.

I ate in Tuscan Grill on Reflection in Nov. I agree with the OP that the Ribeye was very disappointing. Thin, grisly not much taste. In May on Infinity I ordered the dry-aged NY strip in the TG. It was an upcharge but well worth it. I highly recommend it for steak lovers.

Many thanks to all the previous replies. This kind of thread is helpful. I'm still a relative cruise newbie compared to most of you so I appreciate your experiences and perspectives. During our Feb cruise on RCI Allure we had a marvelous meal in Chops. The steaks were thick cuts and excellent. Granted there was not a ribeye on the menu, but it was a great experience.

It's a shame X can't beef up the ribeye's in the TG. If not they'd be better off not serving that cut at all.

They should as you say "beef it up"....the extra charge should support top quality..esp now that Muranos, Ocean Liners are being phased out..

We like Mortons on land based trips..they never disappoint!

They should as you say "beef it up"....the extra charge should support top quality..esp now that Muranos, Ocean Liners are being phased out..

We like Mortons on land based trips..they never disappoint!

I don't mind paying extra for a top quality streak. I frequent Del Frisco's, Morton's and Ruth's Chris. My favorite is a local no frills place here in the DC metro (NoVA) called "Rays the Steaks".

I don't understand why something like that is so hard to translate to a cruise. I'd gladly pay more.

We also enjoy Morton's, Del Frisco's (and their less expensive grill) and Peter Luger's. In Manhattan, also Smith and Wolinsky and the Palm. With the exception of specials at Morton's and Del Frisco's grill- all very expensive and good for special occasions!

I'm with you Tommy, just cant understand how you can screw up a ribeye??? Usually the best, most fat content of any of the steak cuts. We cook 'em thin here no problem, if they're pink they're golden:D

I plan on the filet on our Tuscany evening. Not taking any chances. Hope it will be the highlight of our trip out of Skagway. Any other recommendations?

Nope neither the Club nor the Porch both we loved on Reflection...alas none on Solstice. Much rather eat ala fresco than watch glass blowing...but when in Rome...

I will try the sushi on 5 for lunch though.

I

I plan on the filet on our Tuscany evening. Not taking any chances. Hope it will be the highlight of our trip out of Skagway. Any other recommendations?

Here are my favorites at the Tuscan Grill. I order the French Onion Soup or the Seafood Stew. The braised beef ravioli is outstanding. Then comes the filet mignon followed by the chocolate fondue with fruit. Then I roll out of there to the theater for the show. Other foods are brought over by the waiter which we just nibble at. I am now hungry!

Many thanks to all the previous replies. This kind of thread is helpful. I'm still a relative cruise newbie compared to most of you so I appreciate your experiences and perspectives. During our Feb cruise on RCI Allure we had a marvelous meal in Chops. The steaks were thick cuts and excellent. Granted there was not a ribeye on the menu, but it was a great experience.

It's a shame X can't beef up the ribeye's in the TG. If not they'd be better off not serving that cut at all.

Tommy3putts -

I have dined in Tuscan Grille at least 1-3 times per cruise whenever the venue is on my cruise ship (see list below). My most recent experience was on Constellation (November 2015). I was quite happy with Tuscan Grille steaks. I never order the Filet (my partner does and enjoys it). I usually order the NY strip or ribeye. Sometimes I go with the bone-in veal chop. All have been good and cooked perfectly when I order them. I know some folks just have bad luck and quality can vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. I think you should remain hopeful/faithful for your next cruise. It works for me.

Enjoy your next cruise!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't mind paying extra for a top quality streak. I frequent Del Frisco's, Morton's and Ruth's Chris. My favorite is a local no frills place here in the DC metro (NoVA) called "Rays the Steaks".

I don't understand why something like that is so hard to translate to a cruise. I'd gladly pay more.

At the price for dinner in the Tuscan Crill and the Lawn Club, Celebrity could serve dry-aged prime beef rather than choice, which is the grade of beef most commonly sold in U.S. super markets.

Tommy3putts -

I have dined in Tuscan Grille at least 1-3 times per cruise whenever the venue is on my cruise ship (see list below). My most recent experience was on Constellation (November 2015). I was quite happy with Tuscan Grille steaks. I never order the Filet (my partner does and enjoys it). I usually order the NY strip or ribeye. Sometimes I go with the bone-in veal chop. All have been good and cooked perfectly when I order them. I know some folks just have bad luck and quality can vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. I think you should remain hopeful/faithful for your next cruise. It works for me.

Enjoy your next cruise!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We really enjoyed Tuscan on Connie...it is unique, has a great location, excellent service and enjoyable food...hope they don't ruin it.

Tom, you're on the TA with my friends and I. Best ribeyes, filets, lamb chops, MEAT??? Lawn Club Grill!!:) I liked Tuscan on my recent Silhouette cruises, but for beef, it's always LCG if the ship has one.

Look forward to meeting you in a couple of months!

I am a steak eater. My preferred steak is a nice thick ribeye. My wife and I sailed on the Reflection in June of 2014. With one or two exceptions overall it was an amazing cruise experience. Rarely would I be so critical of an issue. However there was one thing on the cruise that didn't cut it and meat my expectations. That was the Ribeye steak served in the Tuscan Grill as well as Blu. It was an experience that was not well done by Celebrity. I ordered the ribeye twice--once in each restaurant. Both times it was embarrassing how bad it was--paper thin, tough and not cooked properly. I felt like a chump. I had been warned here on CC but didn't believe it could be that bad. I was wrong. The other cuts of steaks as well as the other menu items were fine. With the exception of the ribeye, we enjoyed Tuscan.

Fast forward to October 2016. We are set to sail on Reflection again and looking forward to at least two evenings in Tuscan. Are there any recent Reflection passengers who have been brave enough to order the ribeye? If so any improvements or observations?

Cheers.

Tom

Tom, you're on the TA with my friends and I. Best ribeyes, filets, lamb chops, MEAT??? Lawn Club Grill!!:) I liked Tuscan on my recent Silhouette cruises, but for beef, it's always LCG if the ship has one.

Look forward to meeting you in a couple of months!

Very excited to be doing our first TA this October. Planning on eating at LCG several times. See you in October I'll be sitting at the sunset bar.

At the price for dinner in the Tuscan Crill and the Lawn Club, Celebrity could serve dry-aged prime beef rather than choice, which is the grade of beef most commonly sold in U.S. super markets.

Or perhaps even when in Europe grass fed Premium Irish beef.

I am a steak eater. My preferred steak is a nice thick ribeye. My wife and I sailed on the Reflection in June of 2014. With one or two exceptions overall it was an amazing cruise experience. Rarely would I be so critical of an issue. However there was one thing on the cruise that didn't cut it and meat my expectations. That was the Ribeye steak served in the Tuscan Grill as well as Blu. It was an experience that was not well done by Celebrity. I ordered the ribeye twice--once in each restaurant. Both times it was embarrassing how bad it was--paper thin, tough and not cooked properly. I felt like a chump. I had been warned here on CC but didn't believe it could be that bad. I was wrong. The other cuts of steaks as well as the other menu items were fine. With the exception of the ribeye, we enjoyed Tuscan.

Fast forward to October 2016. We are set to sail on Reflection again and looking forward to at least two evenings in Tuscan. Are there any recent Reflection passengers who have been brave enough to order the ribeye? If so any improvements or observations?

Cheers.

Tom

In Tuscan the filet trumps, but I think they now have a better ribeye for an other UPCHARGE! Skip it, have the filet, then go to the Lawn Club Grill on the Reflection. The ribeye there was, IMHO and grilling experience at home, outstanding.

And weather or not you actually flip your steak, go talk with and watch up close, they really like the interaction with us.

EW

image.jpg.b32048a8175f5d43c9a1392ee2184215.jpg

The purveyor can be a big factor as well, our market here in Texas offers Prime and Choice and sometimes we have been greatly disappointed in the Prime and other times had fantastic quality cuts in the Choice category...you just never know. So I think the purveyor can vastly affect the quality. One man's Prime is another man's Choice and vice versa;)

I am a ribeye girl too.

Our go to place here in San Antonio is Budro's on the River. THeir blackened ribeye is the best I ever ate, including Ruth's Chris or Smith & Wallensky.

They serve it with a pat of garlic butter melting on top. There is never a scrap of meat left when we finish. No gristle or much fat, they trim it perfectly.

IMHO a steak should melt in your mouth, tender and flavorful, no gristle, little fat and never cooked past pink with just the edges cindered to a light crunch! O Boy, its getting to be lunch time here...gotta run;)

The purveyor can be a big factor as well, our market here in Texas offers Prime and Choice and sometimes we have been greatly disappointed in the Prime and other times had fantastic quality cuts in the Choice category...you just never know. So I think the purveyor can vastly affect the quality. One man's Prime is another man's Choice and vice versa;)

Now you have gone and done it!

After work it is straight to our local HEB/Central Market butcher counter!:D

• 2 months later...
We are on the Reflection TA. Had dinner in TG last night. Happy to report they have a new menu!!!!!Great steak!!!!

Mr. Tommy,

Please bring Reflection to the USA safely. We will be on her at Thanksgiving, and will definitely try the new menu. :)

We have been to Tuscan many times on many ships over many years. While we still think ist is OK, we don´t have an higher expectation of it any more. It´s just nothing special any more - just OK. We will probably not go again unless friends would go and we would join them.

If there is a Lawn Club Grille on board we much prefer the steaks there.

A little off topic, but is the Lawn Club Grille first come first serve, or do you have to make reservations?

Bob