NCL's Frustrating New Drink policy

AK Dreaming

Why? Just like all the other changes, things have settled down and no one has reported anyone making a huge fuss at embarkation, so it looks like the policy change was an issue for a few.

Many things happen on the ship and at embarkation that most people don't see or hear about, so the true picture is the number of people who post that they are seeking other cruise lines, not buying future cruise credits, and/or cancelling cruises.

I was prepared to cancel my booked cruises if NCL had refused my request for a variance of this policy, but they wisely approved it.

No I do not recommend that. You definitely do not want to get questioned about a baggie with a few tablespoons of white powder in your luggage. There is a good chance they would not believe it was baking soda.

Just an FYI, we often rent holiday flats when traveling, and usually have about half of our meals in the flat. I never assume that they will have spices and herbs (and if they do, who knows how old they are!) so I typically bring a dozen or so of those little snack sized Baggies with things like Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, chili powder, poultry seasoning, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, etc. (I usually have a rough idea of what is in season at the market that I will be making before I leave, and prepare accordingly.)

I have never had an eye blinked or batted at this. No one has ever questioned it. I had more raised eyebrows caused by carrying five dozen donuts back to the US from Canada 20 years ago (long story) than from carrying some oregano into the UK.

Of course I wouldn't do so to countries where carrying anything edible, even breath mints, is not allowed without all sorts of paperwork and bother, like Australia for example.

The authorities have tests that they can quickly do on-site that will confirm that a substance isn't a narcotic.

For people who are that concerned, bring a packet of commercially available coffee pot cleaner with you. Problem solved as far as the teoffee issue. Can't help with paranoia.

No I do not recommend that. You definitely do not want to get questioned about a baggie with a few tablespoons of white powder in your luggage. There is a good chance they would not believe it was baking soda.
I carry a medication with me that is in power form. I don't like to take the container it comes in, because it is a large tin which holds a 45 day supply. I put the needed amount in a baggie and carry it in my carry on luggage and have never been questioned about it.

But if one feels like they would be questioned about baking powder, Amazon sells small .05 ounce packets.

I carry a medication with me that is in power form. I don't like to take the container it comes in, because it is a large tin which holds a 45 day supply. I put the needed amount in a baggie and carry it in my carry on luggage and have never been questioned about it.

But if one feels like they would be questioned about baking powder, Amazon sells small .05 ounce packets.

I like hazelnut creamer and I have in the past just carried a little ziplock bag of it as opposed to taking the whole canister. I've never previously been questioned although if they have concerns in security they are welcome to take a sniff. They now make little canisters of the hazelnut creamer so I bring the whole container.

Edited by Jana60

If NCL management could bury their egos and disdain for their guests, they could follow Carnival's example and make a deal with a bottled water supplier. If the local grocers can sell bottled water for $1.99 a case of 24 bottles, NCL could sell the same for $3.99 and make a ton of money plus turn a negative into a positive moneymaker.

They need to pick a cheaper brand and size of water. This was the regular price in my local supermarket for the 1 liter Aquafina - $1.99 each. It was on sale, but even at the sale price it was four times what an equivalent amount of a lesser brand water.

aquafina-1l.jpg

They need to pick a cheaper brand and size of water. This was the regular price in my local supermarket for the 1 liter Aquafina - $1.99 each. It was on sale, but even at the sale price it was four times what an equivalent amount of a lesser brand water.

Kind of like soda. I can buy diet Pepsi for $.20 each on sale at my grocery store and NCL, as well as other cruise lines, sell it for $2.95 each. I could go on with other products sold on the ship; their ships, their prices. We can either buy the products on their ships or do without. Edited by NLH Arizona

I could go on with other products sold on the ship; their ships, their prices. We can either buy the products on their ships or do without.

Not always... don't get me started on the $13+ box of tampons. I will never forget my cosmetic bag at home on my dressing table again! Highway robbery, man :eek:

Edited by ExpatBride

Not always... don't get me started on the $13+ box of tampons. I will never forget my cosmetic bag at home on my dressing table again! Highway robbery, man :eek:
My point was that everything is priced much, much higher than we can purchase it on land (you post is just another example of that), thus I don't understand why people are always comparing land prices and think they should pay that price on a ship for some things. Edited by NLH Arizona

Don't know if it is age or not but we haven't consumed diet sodas for at least 15 years. We just don't like them anymore. Also, my doctor says they are not good for our health, especially drinking several in a day.

Does your doctor have any other advice that has no evidence to back it up? Perhaps it's time to find a new doctor.

Does your doctor have any other advice that has no evidence to back it up? Perhaps it's time to find a new doctor.

Do you have any other bits of wisdom to contribute ??

Maybe the link below can help you come up with some...

Diet Coke Exposed: What Happens One Hour After Drinking Diet ...

therenegadepharmacist.com/diet-coke-exposed-happens-one-hour-drinking- diet-coke-coke-zero-similar-diet-soda/‎Cached

SimilarAug 6, 2015 ... Data from a number of studies, including the Nurses' Health Study and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study also reported greater risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and metabolic syndrome, which is related to diabetes and cardiovascular problems, for consumers of artificially sweetened ...

Considering the reaction to NCL announcing that their new "security measures" would start in two weeks, it would have been interesting to read the comments had it been two years. :)

Lucky for all of us, all of the active terror groups worldwide have agreed to not attack our cruise ports via Poland spring bottles during the 2 week transition period.

My doctor says that drinking multiple diet sodas a day can lead to acid reflux.

Other issues were discussed. Here is something I just read.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

My doctor says that drinking multiple diet sodas a day can lead to acid reflux.

Other issues were discussed. Here is something I just read.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I believe the previous poster was referring to scientific studies, not blog articles. Most of the science mentioned it that link falls under the "correlation is not causation" rule. People like to hate on diet soda because we get spooked when we think we're "getting away" with something. Same with the people who will unilaterally state "all artificial sweeteners are poison", but when you point out that some zero calorie sweeteners are herbal or based on naturally-occurring compounds, they slap their hands over their ears and go "la la la la la" rather than put any more thought into it.

Do you have any other bits of wisdom to contribute ??

Maybe the link below can help you come up with some...

Diet Coke Exposed: What Happens One Hour After Drinking Diet ...

therenegadepharmacist.com/diet-coke-exposed-happens-one-hour-drinking- diet-coke-coke-zero-similar-diet-soda/‎Cached

SimilarAug 6, 2015 ... Data from a number of studies, including the Nurses' Health Study and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study also reported greater risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and metabolic syndrome, which is related to diabetes and cardiovascular problems, for consumers of artificially sweetened ...

Correlation does not equal causation. Fire trucks are associated with fires. That doesn't mean fire trucks cause fires. That's what you (and your doctor's) data implies when you use observational studies as evidence of causation.

Here's a better doctor with better analysis:

Edited by Sizzlechest

Maybe the question becomes, why ingest anything into your body with absolutely no known health benefits and at minimum a raised eyebrow towards potentially serious risks to health?

They'll have several different bagged teas in the dining rooms & buffet -- black tea, green tea, decaf, a few different herbal teas. But if you want a particular type, you can certainly bring it, and use your cabin coffeemaker to heat water if you don't want to go up to the buffet just for hot water.

On the Epic in April they have several types of tea, but it is all a house brand and not very good. I had brought my own, but the cruise was the second week of our vacation and I was already running out. I tried several types of what they had and settled on just one that was acceptable. On our second last day I discovered that La Cucina had a flavor of black tea that was actually very good but wasn't available upstairs at the buffet. At our last breakfast I picked up a few extra bags to use on our last few days of our trip.

The problem I had was that the water at the buffet and restaurants was never hot enough to get a good brew. The coffee maker in the room did get the water hot enough, barely.

What I did miss was hot chocolate. I was surprised that they didn't have any at the buffett. The coffee was usually pretty bad and wanted to temper it with some cocoa mix or hot chocolate. The only place I could get hot chocolate was for breakfast at the main dining room and it was very good. Next trip I'm bringing cocoa mix.

Edited by cc_rider

Many things happen on the ship and at embarkation that most people don't see or hear about, so the true picture is the number of people who post that they are seeking other cruise lines, not buying future cruise credits, and/or cancelling cruises.

I was prepared to cancel my booked cruises if NCL had refused my request for a variance of this policy, but they wisely approved it.

Why don't you you enlighten us on this variance of the policy you somehow got approved?