LIVE from Maasdam 14 day Alaskan Explorer 8/1 - 8/15

scluvsrain

So happy to hear of another Home 'convert.' It is a beautiful town, isn't it? As you said, the people are fantastic, the food is wonderful and the scenery just can't be beat. I've done this 14 day itinerary that you are on three times, and it is what introduced me to this lovely hamlet by the sea. Since our first stop there in 2010, my DH and I have spent two separate 14 day land only vacations in Homer, the most recent this past May into early June. We fly into Anchorage, rent a car and make the 5 1/2 hour drive down the beautiful Kenai Peninsula, with views getting better and better as you travel south. We always rent houses to stay in thru Homeaway.com, with the one caveat being great views of either Cook Inlet or Kachemak Bay. We are even thinking of retiring there one day - hopefully in the not too distant future - we love it THAT much. Hope the rest of your sailing as is good as today was and just keeps getting better and better as your journey to the Great Land starts winding down.

Thanks so much for this wonderful "live from" - I've enjoyed every minute of it, and its made me relive my three previous sailings thru your eyes.

Here's some pics from Kodiak. The day is overcast but no wind and no rain. Took a tour with Memory Makers where we went out to find some wildlife and also visit Fort. Abercrombie. Afterwards, I got dropped in town and got to walk along the marina and pick up some postcards and some more postcard stamps.

a5830b97c0cd2dad17dedb2baac3e634.jpg6cf3dbde69aee85df41427881f9f11c3.jpg1557e45ac6550cf366a51f82d218ebf3.jpg

Above and below is the Russian Orthodox Church.

99b00916482d750124490d291ee7dcde.jpg

a5be1b06b72dc96e3c6ee6813ae76272.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know you, but I've read other people call you Sherita....

So, Sherita, you did it. I was trying to keep myself from booking this cruise this year, but you pushed me over the edge. I just booked it for September. I loved it so much last year and really wanted to go again. I'm happy. :) I usually go in July, so I'm sure it's going to be cooler and wetter...but I don't care.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us.

Added: By the way, I LOVE Homer, too.

Edited by KruzPrincess

We arrived in Sitka early this morning. Foggy and more fog. In fact, it is now mid afternoon and the sun has deemed it quite unnecessary to show its face. It's a far different day than when I was here a little over a year ago.

That day, it was gorgeously sunny yet very crispy cold. It was like being to stick to an ice cube while waiting for the sun to melt it and set you loose.

That day in Sitka also was the same day I got the call from my daughter that my Daddy had died. The sun went away for me, then. He had been going downhill, health wise, and I had feared he might die while I was away, but I went anyway. I knew he wanted me to, so l did. I second guess that decision often. But he lived a good good and long life and we all should be so fortunate.

Today I took a ship tour to see the raptor center and the fortress of the Bears. Both were very interesting and quite fun. Our last stop was at the hatchery center for salmon.

Snort and I walked around town after the tour was over. I found a nice soap store with locally made soaps. Full of essential oils and they smell so good! Wintersong Soap Company, if anyone's interested.

I also ventured into the Episcopal church to take a picture of the Star of David in their stained glass. Apparently they had ordered stained glass from far away to fit their special window at the top of the church and when the pieces arrived their was the Star of David right in the middle! And so it remains.

Following are some snaps of my day here.

But first - Snort makes a new friend every evening.

7698196148628595d8299aaeae74eaf6.jpg

09b37b5e62b7cf61971b5dcd62273e91.jpgd6556bdf149de4ea6d70c29e2685d69c.jpg1de95cda5fe7377b666b84a6816d5879.jpg5f92b79045396e7d9a437f76ce26d5a0.jpg7a75a5c624bc774417bca2339998aeef.jpg

Sherita, thanks so much for your review. I booked this trip the last minute with my Dad. I have done this itinerary before and love your respective. I will be on the August 29th trip.

Since I booked late couldn't get a tour with Memory Makers but I am curious about how you liked the memory Maker tour?.

I am also so sorry for the loss of your Dad. I know it can be hard to be away with a loved one passes. I was at a conference when my grandmother passed away. My dad told me not to come home because there was nothing I could do at that point.

Just hope happy memories of your Dad help you through this hard time.

Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family!

Thank you for your kind words and prayers regarding my Dad. He's been gone a year now and we are all moving forward.

I loved MemoryMakers. You can't go wrong with them. Husband and wife team - only 2 vans of 6 each so they do sell out fast. They've lived here a long time and know the area well.

KruzPrincess. I am called Sherita! And I'm so happy to hear you booked this cruise again!!! I've got to figure out how I can fit it in again next year myself. I've got a lot of trips planned next year - the world cruise in January is next on my cruising schedule. I'm thinking about posting a live thread but Pete and Judy and Bill and MaryAnn always do a nice job. Maybe 3's a crowd.....

Oopsie. I forgot to upload pics of our afternoon at Hubbard Glacier yesterday. That's one big-ass glacier! 3 miles wide at our viewing area. We had lots of calving activity too!

We are at sea tomorrow. Victoria on Sunday.

367e7ad67a29d9282119a454e2f39190.jpgbc2ac15639ff12f86e6003682bdca0f4.jpg574dfa3e23d0d0e2ff68b2f47ce4cf60.jpgbfa2983cece0d1baa751a37f5b102b53.jpgb7b4e0e0a989e7d77cefeffda4303c8f.jpg

KruzPrincess. I am called Sherita! And I'm so happy to hear you booked this cruise again!!! I've got to figure out how I can fit it in again next year myself. I've got a lot of trips planned next year - the world cruise in January is next on my cruising schedule. I'm thinking about posting a live thread but Pete and Judy and Bill and MaryAnn always do a nice job. Maybe 3's a crowd.....

Well, you're doing a good job with your live report. I can't believe I only have a month to go before I get to go to Alaska. You're very lucky to get to go on a world cruise. Thanks, again, for taking the time to share.