Gratuities

JohnHall1965

Does NCL not charge you for gratuities like other lines ? I'm reading conflicting stories . Someone please set me straight

They will bill you for a Service Charge. It's how the crew gets paid.

It is different from the old days when passengers were expected to pay the crew in envelopes at the end of the trip.

Edited by luddite

Does NCL not charge you for gratuities like other lines ? I'm reading conflicting stories . Someone please set me straight

No tipping is 100% up to the passenger (except for the UBP etc). They do have a DSF which is not a tip though that is$13.50 per day per passenger. Tipping and the DSF are discusses in the FAQ on the NCL web site.

• 1 month later...

I believe I read someplace that you could request a waiver of the $13.50 per person per day and opt instead to pay for the service you receive. Is this true, and how do you go about doing that?

I would much prefer to do that - this information was in a discussion about how NCL crew was making less under the service charge system, particularly the bartenders, since they implemented that system and that service was suffering because of it.

We are more than happy to pay for good service, be it rooms stewards, bartenders or restaurant staff and regardless of the service fee reward good service - I cannot help wondering if the staff actually gets the $13.50 or another example of NCL nickel and dime'ing us to death.

I believe I read someplace that you could request a waiver of the $13.50 per person per day and opt instead to pay for the service you receive. Is this true, and how do you go about doing that?

I would much prefer to do that - this information was in a discussion about how NCL crew was making less under the service charge system, particularly the bartenders, since they implemented that system and that service was suffering because of it.

We are more than happy to pay for good service, be it rooms stewards, bartenders or restaurant staff and regardless of the service fee reward good service - I cannot help wondering if the staff actually gets the $13.50 or another example of NCL nickel and dime'ing us to death.

Do a forum search on this subject. It's been discussed ad nauseum.

What an interesting thought! I'd reply, but it's much easier to do a search, where you will find pages and pages of replies.

As others have already mentioned, the DSC takes care of EVERYONE who provides you with service. The person who buses and cleans your table, the servers at the buffet, etc. Doubtful you would tip them directly. Also as I understand it, you will be charged the $13.50 per person per day and may request a refund, but the refund will be after your sailing.

All other lines charge similar gratuities, so this "nickel-and-diming" is not exclusive to NCL.

I'm sure if you look through the threads, you will find one that answers your questions.

Just as an FYI, the majority of cruise lines have the same system. NCL, calls their a Daily Service Charge and others call them automatic gratuities, daily gratuities, etc., so I guess in your thinking, they would all nickel and dime you to death.

Nope. Not in the way you suggest, anyway. Your info shows you are an American so the following rules that you agreed to while booking apply:

1. Your on-board account will have $13.50 per person added to it per day. You are compelled to pay this amount without exception (different rules apply to the British due to their consumer protection laws, but you live in NY from your info on here).

2. You can hand out cash during your cruise to anyone you feel like giving money to, and they get to keep the money.

3. You can request a form to apply for a refund from the services desk in the atrium to refund all or a portion of the $13.50 per person per day. You must fill out the form, scan it, and email it to NCL corporate after your cruise has ended. You may be asked "why" by the desk, because usually people are concerned about a service issue. They want to make you happy.

4. You will wait at least 10 days and, in some cases reported here, 6 - 8 weeks for your refund.

Most of the threads here are about whether you should do it, what your motivation is for doing it, who gets the money, if you should care who gets the money, if your fellow passengers are having to pick up the tab for you, if bartenders from the Philippines should earn more than nurses, accountants and engineers in their home country, what kind of childhood Del Rio had, if Africa is a country or a continent, or if the daily charge is a tip, fee or kangaroo.

I have given you the four "truths" about removing the daily amount posted to your account if you are an American.

Nope. Not in the way you suggest, anyway. Your info shows you are an American so the following rules that you agreed to while booking apply:

1. Your on-board account will have $13.50 per person added to it per day. You are compelled to pay this amount without exception (different rules apply to the British due to their consumer protection laws, but you live in NY from your info on here).

2. You can hand out cash during your cruise to anyone you feel like giving money to, and they get to keep the money.

3. You can request a form to apply for a refund from the services desk in the atrium to refund all or a portion of the $13.50 per person per day. You must fill out the form, scan it, and email it to NCL corporate after your cruise has ended. You may be asked "why" by the desk, because usually people are concerned about a service issue. They want to make you happy.

4. You will wait at least 10 days and, in some cases reported here, 6 - 8 weeks for your refund.

Most of the threads here are about whether you should do it, what your motivation is for doing it, who gets the money, if you should care who gets the money, if your fellow passengers are having to pick up the tab for you, if bartenders from the Philippines should earn more than nurses, accountants and engineers in their home country, what kind of childhood Del Rio had, if Africa is a country or a continent, or if the daily charge is a tip, fee or kangaroo.

I have given you the four "truths" about removing the daily amount posted to your account if you are an American.

I'm in the camp that believes it's a kangaroo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love the paragraph after #4 - really funny!!! Wish I had the answers.

As a US passenger, you can not opt out. You will be charged the daily service charge. You can request, after your cruise, request a refund which will take several months to process.

In doing so, you will cheat the hard working crew who serve you.

As a US passenger, you can not opt out. You will be charged the daily service charge. You can request, after your cruise, request a refund which will take several months to process.

To my knowl.edge, NCL has NEVER clearly stated how the money in this fund is distributed, so there is no definite proof that you are cheating the crew by requesting a refund.

Also, NCL is now offering this as a booking bonus, so if it is not their money, how is this possible?? Perhaps it is NCL who is cheating the hard working crew.

To my knowl.edge, NCL has NEVER clearly stated how the money in this fund is distributed, so there is no definite proof that you are cheating the crew by requesting a refund.

Also, NCL is now offering this as a booking bonus, so if it is not their money, how is this possible?? Perhaps it is NCL who is cheating the hard working crew.

And conversely, there is no definitive proof that you are not cheating the crew. I love it when an argument works both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Your on-board account will have $13.50 per person added to it per day. You are compelled to pay this amount without exception (different rules apply to the British due to their consumer protection laws, but you live in NY from your info on here

QUOTE]

UK pays the same DSC as USA - its exactly the same for us.

The difference we have with USA is on the UBP - we don't pay the 18% on our free perk - but our prices are generally higher to start with - so it balances out.

But the daily service charge - we pay, we can either pay it with our booking or have it added to our account.

We (like most!) would never dream of removing DSC - and on top of that we tip as we go to individuals.

Blessed to be on a cruise - share the love and all that :)

Edited by Blondie008

Absolutely false.

I have befriended several NCL crewmembers via social media, and they all (independently) told me that the DSC does not impact their pay.

If someone removes it, their pay does NOT go down.

They are given a FIXED amount each paycheck, as agreed upon when they signed on to work there.

It's not just NCL. All other major lines utilizing a DSC-type service charge work the same way.

They call it "gratuities" in order to discourage people from asking for its removal. By making it "optional", they can disguise the true cost of the cruise (important in the era of the internet).

The DSC also accomplishes narrowing the gap between the "haves" and "have nots" of the crew, whereas in the old model, it was FAR more lucrative to have a traditionally tipped position. Now that factor is much reduced, making for a healthier work environment and less turnover.

Edited by pokerpro5

They call it "gratuities" in order to discourage people from asking for its removal. By making it "optional", they can disguise the true cost of the cruise (important in the era of the internet).

There is another reason to keep the DSC "optional". If it were included in the fare, it would be commissionable. Travel agents would get the same percentage as they do on the fares they sell. If it is an after-charge that is not part of the fare no commission is paid on that $13.50 per person per day.

Last year I did all the math. I posted it somewhere here and as it turns out, more than 10% of cruisers would have to remove the DSC before it makes financial sense to include it in the fare. I don't know, but would guesstimate that presently the percentage of people removing the DSC is <1.

The question still remains about NCL offering the gratuities as a booking bonus. It is possible that they are doing this to prevent guests from removing it and tipping in cash. I have seen that NCL raises the rates on many cruises to offset the "free" booking bonuses.

That alone adds a lot of credibility to the previous statements that removing the DSC does not affect the pay of the crew.