Our first Oceania cruise - tips please?

English Tim

No not another tipping debate!

We have booked a PH1 on Riviera and would welcome any tips on how best to enjoy an Oceania cruise.

We have previously sailed extensively with Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, Azamara, Regent and Seabourn, with most recent cruises including tipping and all drinks.

We have $800 obc, free wifi and basic drinks packages.

We have booked a PH1 on Riviera and would welcome any tips on how best to enjoy an Oceania cruise.

We have previously sailed extensively with Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, Azamara, Regent and Seabourn, with most recent cruises including tipping and all drinks.

Hi Tim. I've read your many posts on Seabourn, Regent and Azamara and have always enjoyed your photos and day by day posts. Welcome to Oceania! You have picked my favorite ship and room category....you will absolutely love it! I am just off Riviera 2 weeks ago and I'm still longing to be back on board. What cruise did you book?

1) If you're any kind of a social drinker, you may want to upgrade that basic drinks package to the Prestige package. House Select only provides alcohol during the times that you are eating lunch or dinner.

Upgrading the Package costs $20 per person per day, and the Prestige Package brings open bar (sans those stupidly expensive cognacs and single malts) anywhere on the ship 24/7.

2) Utilize your Butler to the fullest. We like to think of the Butler as our private Oceania Ambassador on the ship. They know just how to accomplish anything and everything that you could imagine.

3) baby lamb chops at breakfast!!! :D They melt in your mouth!

Hi Tim. I've read your many posts on Seabourn, Regent and Azamara and have always enjoyed your photos and day by day posts. Welcome to Oceania! You have picked my favorite ship and room category....you will absolutely love it! I am just off Riviera 2 weeks ago and I'm still longing to be back on board. What cruise did you book?

Thank for your kind comments. I am behind with my reviews, with Regent Navigator and Scenic Sapphire offerings to come.

Our Riviera cruise is to and from Barcelona, on October 16.

Well, these may be too elementary for someone like you who has cruised quite a bit. However, I usually recommend:

1. That women bring something small/purselike, preferably to wear around the neck, that can hold the ship card. You'll be grabbing it a lot, and showing it at the gangplank a lot. I don't like having to dig it out of a purse/backpack, and often I don't have pockets to put it in. Carrying it around in my hand is a pain, and carrying a purse is not optimal.

2. Reserve your specialty restaurant visits early. Don't wait until you board unless you like eating late.

3. Don't ignore the Terrace for dinner. It's really a nice experience, especially if you have good weather and like eating outside. It's not just a buffet...we love getting main dish, veggies and starch at the grill, and then trolling around on our own for a dessert. On the Terrace, a waiter will come to ask what you want to drink. You don't need to get it yourself.

4. When you go ashore, take the info in the daily paper about the ship's agent. He/she should be contacted if you have a problem - might be late getting back, etc. You can always get an extra copy of the daily paper.

5. Notice the art work near your closest elevator (fore and aft) and where the wall phone is located on your deck (assuming there is one; there's one on the lower decks). These things give you a clue as to which way to turn once you get off the elevator.

Enjoy!

I would read through the FAQ's it will give you an idea of Oceania works

it may or may not be that different than the other lines you have been on

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Read though the forum here maybe use the search feature for specific questions, they probably have been asked before

if not ask most of us here are very helpful :D

Enjoy Oceania for what it is & try not to compare with other lines ...difficult to do I know ;)

just go & enjoy

I would read through the FAQ's it will give you an idea of Oceania works

it may or may not be that different than the other lines you have been on

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Read though the forum here maybe use the search feature for specific questions, they probably have been asked before

if not ask most of us here are very helpful :D

Enjoy Oceania for what it is & try not to compare with other lines ...difficult to do I know ;)

just go & enjoy

Thank you

Come join our Roll Call to meet some of your fellow passengers:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2265495

Great idea, on way

1) If you're any kind of a social drinker, you may want to upgrade that basic drinks package to the Prestige package. House Select only provides alcohol during the times that you are eating lunch or dinner.

Upgrading the Package costs $20 per person per day, and the Prestige Package brings open bar (sans those stupidly expensive cognacs and single malts) anywhere on the ship 24/7.

We have decided to do that

2) Utilize your Butler to the fullest. We like to think of the Butler as our private Oceania Ambassador on the ship. They know just how to accomplish anything and everything that you could imagine.

We are very unsure of how to this, not being used to having a butler. What are the best things to ask?

Well, these may be too elementary for someone like you who has cruised quite a bit. However, I usually recommend:

1. That women bring something small/purselike, preferably to wear around the neck, that can hold the ship card. You'll be grabbing it a lot, and showing it at the gangplank a lot. I don't like having to dig it out of a purse/backpack, and often I don't have pockets to put it in. Carrying it around in my hand is a pain, and carrying a purse is not optimal.

Good idea, DW brings a lanyard and gets a hole punched in her card

2. Reserve your specialty restaurant visits early. Don't wait until you board unless you like eating late.

Thanks, good tip

3. Don't ignore the Terrace for dinner. It's really a nice experience, especially if you have good weather and like eating outside. It's not just a buffet...we love getting main dish, veggies and starch at the grill, and then trolling around on our own for a dessert. On the Terrace, a waiter will come to ask what you want to drink. You don't need to get it yourself.

4. When you go ashore, take the info in the daily paper about the ship's agent. He/she should be contacted if you have a problem - might be late getting back, etc. You can always get an extra copy of the daily paper.

5. Notice the art work near your closest elevator (fore and aft) and where the wall phone is located on your deck (assuming there is one; there's one on the lower decks). These things give you a clue as to which way to turn once you get off the elevator.

Enjoy!

In summary, whilst I am grateful for any help, I meant specific to Oceania, so I'll read the faq.

Oceania is great cruise line.

1. The Terrace is a great quiet place to dine at night if you just want something light .

2. TOSCANA is a bit of a dissapointment . It is not truly an Italian specialty restaurant, rather Oceania's view of what they think a specilaty Italian restaurant would be like . Silly gimmicks like a trolley with 30 different types of vinegars and olive oils. Also genuine Italian dishes such as rack of Colorado lamb and New York Cheesecake . Sabatinis on Princess baots does Italian much better .

3. POLO GRILL - Excellent but the portion sizes are humungus !!!!

Dont upgrade to a Prestige drink package until you get on board and you can use your shipboard credit and not lay out any cash....

Jancruz1

I'll second the rec' for Terrace for dinner.

Several of us on ATW16 dined there every night....imagine seeing the sun setting and casting that golden light on the Sydney Opera House, or watching the evening fog envelop Table Mountain in Cape Town....I won't bore you with other examples!

We all agreed that one can often dine in restaurants like the MDR, but dining al fresco in Terrace at some of the most beautiful cities in the world is why we like to cruise!

If you want to go to the cooking class I would reserve the one you want ahead of time as it can fill up. If you plan to go to the art classes get their early as it also can fill up. It is free and no reservation is required or excepted. There is just one show each night around 9:45. The show lounge is not large and does have sight line problems so I would suggest getting their early. Have a great trip😂

I hope you don't mind me jumping into your post but we are also new to Oceania and was wondering how long before you sail do the speciality reservations become bookable? I looked at my online reservation and there appears to be no capability of booking at the moment, we are on Marina on 8 Feb 2017.

2nd question, do they have Pellegrino sparkling water on board?

We are really looking forward to our first O cruise and hope it lives up to our expectations as we are refugees from Celebrity.

When to make Specialty Restaurant reservations:

The booking must be paid in full.

• Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites may make reservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

• Penthouse Suites may make reservations at 75 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

• Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms may make reservations at 60 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

• Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms may make reservations at 45 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

*The online dining reservation system closes 7 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.

Dont stress out too much re the pecking order and advance reservations.

Once on board any spare space in the Specialty Restaurants can be booked by anyone on a no holds barred basis at a dais inside the Terrace Cafe at breakfast or lunch, on a day to day basis. So you can book space on the day you want to dine specialty subject to space being available .

You will probably have to share, but that happens in MDR too, there is a limit to how many tables for two cruise lines can provide in the floor space .

Edited by kuldalai

I hope you don't mind me jumping into your post but we are also new to Oceania and was wondering how long before you sail do the speciality reservations become bookable? I looked at my online reservation and there appears to be no capability of booking at the moment, we are on Marina on 8 Feb 2017.

2nd question, do they have Pellegrino sparkling water on board? YES just ask the wait staff

There should be a date on your invoice when your reservation booking date is

2nd question, do they have Pellegrino sparkling water on board?

We are really looking forward to our first O cruise and hope it lives up to our expectations as we are refugees from Celebrity.

If you are particular about the dates and table size for your specialty restaurants, make your reservations at the earliest possible time as your choices will be more limited later.

They have Pellegrino everywhere on the ship. That said, I prefer Perrier, which is also available.

I'll second the rec' for Terrace for dinner.

Several of us on ATW16 dined there every night....imagine seeing the sun setting and casting that golden light on the Sydney Opera House, or watching the evening fog envelop Table Mountain in Cape Town....I won't bore you with other examples!

We all agreed that one can often dine in restaurants like the MDR, but dining al fresco in Terrace at some of the most beautiful cities in the world is why we like to cruise!

I agree and even when we join 'O' in Miami for a simple mid winter we love to start our cruise sitting outside in the Terrace looking at Miami. It puts us fully in the mood for the following 10 or so days in the Caribbean.

Ok... you have dozens of suggestions...and trying to digest them all... Everyone giving you their discoveries. But wait... they are not your discoveries but that of another..

While its nice to plan, and in this computer age there is this , almost driven desire to organize and plan and reasearch in extreme detail. Is that really a good idea...

Consider that growing up, you didnt have these plans and that every day was something new and exciting..... You discovered all sorts of things many without a plan. These discoveries were all new and exciting because each unfolded as a totally new experience. You had no preconceived opinions or expectations.

So I suggest That the less you try to control your experience and the more you leave yourself open to the discoveries you make daily. As a child who excitedly opens his christmas presents would. The more opinions and expectations you develop the more your going to stress and worry .

Instead of, enjoying the pleasure of discoveries without pre evaluating them to the point that you will have nothing left when you board the ship..So what if your dont discover everythng So what if you dont do this or that...Because all these people are telling you what discoveries they made and depriving you of yours...

Do you want that a trip without adventure or mystery or suprises? Or do you want to be totally in control planning, performing according to others experiences....not yours

Just to add a couple of other things on the ship

check out afternoon tea it is served daily at 4Pm in Horizons

Spa deck is a nice location private area & usually quiet

if you like Wine Paring dinners book La Reserve early there is a fee

They have 3 different menus to choose from (sample menus on website)

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/la-reserve/

Ok... you have dozens of suggestions...and trying to digest them all... Everyone giving you their discoveries. But wait... they are not your discoveries but that of another..

While its nice to plan, and in this computer age there is this , almost driven desire to organize and plan and reasearch in extreme detail. Is that really a good idea...

Consider that growing up, you didnt have these plans and that every day was something new and exciting..... You discovered all sorts of things many without a plan. These discoveries were all new and exciting because each unfolded as a totally new experience. You had no preconceived opinions or expectations.

So I suggest That the less you try to control your experience and the more you leave yourself open to the discoveries you make daily. As a child who excitedly opens his christmas presents would. The more opinions and expectations you develop the more your going to stress and worry .

Instead of, enjoying the pleasure of discoveries without pre evaluating them to the point that you will have nothing left when you board the ship..So what if your dont discover everythng So what if you dont do this or that...Because all these people are telling you what discoveries they made and depriving you of yours...

Do you want that a trip without adventure or mystery or suprises? Or do you want to be totally in control planning, performing according to others experiences....not yours

OTOH, you don't want to leave the ship saying "I wish I had known about this or that before I sailed on Oceania. Sorry that I missed that" :D

OTOH, you don't want to leave the ship saying "I wish I had known about this or that before I sailed on Oceania. Sorry that I missed that" :D

The cruise is not a contest and your under a compulsion to to do everything and discover everything. I just have seen too many people become obsessed with planning and worse,trying to perform to others suggestions. that they feel they must do This is far worse than missing something... which you will always have next time.. One phraise that i heard with the NPS from visitors was "tell me..what are the must do " things here. People who wanted the appoval of others when they visited a place. "Oh yes I saw all the things others told me to" ( see I am cool like you)

The intrinsic value of personal and meaningful discoveries that you make by far outweighs merely following others. As well meaning and good as they may be, ALL the suggestions here, yours, mine everybody's are things they like of value, discovered. etc... You are not them , your you...life complete with an hourly road map and no discovery is no life at all

Dont cheat your self out of the opportunity.

Unlike Kuldalai, my husband and I both loved our food at Toscana. We had some really excellent dishes on both nights we dined there and nothing we ate there was less than good. We really liked our choices of the 3 olive oils and the 3 balsamic vinegars (only 3, not 30!) with our delicious breads, something many upmarket restaurants offer in Italy too.

Food is so subjective, Kuldalai and I only make a sample of 2 - too small to make a meaningful judgment. I'd say that unless Toscana gets the thumb's down from a considerable portion of Riviera's passengers (which it doesn't) then you should give it a try. I am sure you can make up your own mind about it.

Like others here we loved the PH. So comfortable - and nice to have your butler bring you drinks and food whenever you feel like it. Hope you have a splendid cruise.

The cruise is not a contest and your under a compulsion to to do everything and discover everything. I just have seen too many people become obsessed with planning and worse,trying to perform to others suggestions. that they feel they must do This is far worse than missing something... which you will always have next time.. One phraise that i heard with the NPS from visitors was "tell me..what are the must do " things here. People who wanted the appoval of others when they visited a place. "Oh yes I saw all the things others told me to" ( see I am cool like you)

The intrinsic value of personal and meaningful discoveries that you make by far outweighs merely following others. As well meaning and good as they may be, ALL the suggestions here, yours, mine everybody's are things they like of value, discovered. etc... You are not them , your you...life complete with an hourly road map and no discovery is no life at all

Dont cheat your self out of the opportunity.

Dan I absolutely agree with you..I love the surprises when I go on a new ship..I am sailing on Regent Mariner next week for the first time and cant wait to see what she has to offer as I explore..

Jancruz1