Coral Princess Cabin HELP !!!

magnumcruiser

We are planning a Coral Princess Cruise, sailing on April 10,2018. This is our first time on this ship & first time to the Panama Canal. We NEED HELP with our Cabin selection. I understand this trip is very popular & will fill fast, so ANY & ALL input will be Greatly Appreciated !!! Thanks in advance.

Edited by magnumcruiser

We booked a mini suite for this trip. It was our first one as we had more sea days than we had before. We were in C222 and loved it. We were close to the front of the ship with the open area to walk out and have an unobstructed view in the morning going into the Canal (this is an area normally closed that they open up on Canal day). Also on this ship the buffet is in the front not the back like other ships so we liked being near the front.

Many will tell you a balcony (or mini suite with balcony) is essential for PC but we didn't find that to be the case at all. We did the 17 day SF-FLL full transit last fall on Coral. We booked B731 which is an aft-facing Ocean View. It was maybe 10 steps from our cabin door to an aft viewing deck with maybe 8 or so loungers on it. It was like having a huge balcony. No, it wasn't private but most of the time there was either nobody there or just a few people. During the actual transit the area was heavily used as were the other viewing areas forward and aft. Canal viewing, in my opinion, is best from an outside deck where you can see ahead (or behind) and to both sides. I would have missed quite a bit if I was just sitting on my balcony facing one side.

A note regarding the cabin we had: The window faced out onto that public viewing deck so we wondered about privacy. I went onto the viewing deck during the day and tried my hardest to see into our cabin but was unable to see anything at all inside the with the "sheers" pulled. At night we did tend to close the blackout curtains as we were now in a lighted cabin and were probably "on TV" as far as the aft viewing balcony was concerned. It was no hardship at all.

There was a fantastic lightning storm at sea one night and we could see it wonderfully from our window. We did go out on the viewing deck briefly but, even though the lightning was pretty much "over there" a bit, it seemed kind of weird to stand out on the deck during such a fantastic display of electricity flashing all over the sky. :)

I wouldn't hesitate to book this cabin again. Very quiet location other than the occasional person who didn't realize the outer door would slam shut if not closed carefully. Most people either shut the door properly or learned quickly when the door slammed and freaked them out. Also very near to a laundry facility which was nice on a 17 day cruise.

We would recommend D631 as plenty of room inside and a nice large balcony in case you want to have the UBD. In addition to that, it has a nice sized shower and jetted tub. We liked the location in the back as a quiet area and the elevators were just outside the door.

You probably want to be topside for the canal transit for the best view or on one of the secret balconies that you may hear about. Overall, the Coral is our favorite ship in the fleet :)

We are planning a Coral Princess Cruise, sailing on April 10,2018. This is our first time on this ship & first time to the Panama Canal. We NEED HELP with our Cabin selection. I understand this trip is very popular & will fill fast, so ANY & ALL input will be Greatly Appreciated !!! Thanks in advance.
Your cruise is a 10 day partial transit with four full sea days and an afternoon at sea after you depart Aruba. Being at sea for half of you cruise, a balcony might be nice to have. You will pass through the Gatun locks twice, but if you are on an excursion you will probably miss the return trip and meet up with the Coral in Colon. After passing through the locks you will sail a short distance into Lake Gatun where the Coral will anchor and people on excursions will be tendered ashore. For the transit through the canal you should be on deck to see everything and IMHO there is no preferred cabin type or location for a partial transit of the canal. We did a partial transit in a balcony and a full transit in an oceanview cabin and both worked for us. With so many sea days we used the savings by booking the oceanview and booked the Sanctuary for the entire cruise. Now that they raised the full cruise price for the Sanctuary from $15/day to $30/day, a balcony is cheaper than an oceanview and the sanctuary. If you decide that you want to spend the money on a balcony or mini-suite then I can provide some specific recommendations.

Here are my thoughts.

The best views of the Panama Canal are from the open upper decks. So, don't select a cabin that you hope will give you the best views while going through the canal, because the best views will not be from your cabin.

Select the nicest cabin that is within your budget. If that is an inside then don't switch to a balcony just to view the canal. If it happens to be a mini suite, select that cabin because it is within your budget and you will enjoy the extra room, again, not because it will give you a better view of the canal. You can use this reasoning for all cabins.

If you select an inside cabin stay away from the cabins forward of the elevators on deck 11. The buffet kitchen is on deck 12 above them and you can hear all the noise.

Here are my thoughts.

The best views of the Panama Canal are from the open upper decks. So, don't select a cabin that you hope will give you the best views while going through the canal, because the best views will not be from your cabin.

I totally agree. Same with Alaska.

We had D416 mini suite on the Coral partial Panama Canal and loved it. For the entry through the locks you mostly want to be on the forward balconies and/or the Promenade Deck, but the balcony allowed a downward photo of the 18" clearance [:eek:] and it was wonderful to have on the rest of the cruise. The extra space of a mini is also very nice. D416 was an MA at that time but is now an M1 -- so you would also get to dine in the new Club Class dining area. Nobody knows how that will turn out, but it must be better than the regular MDR or they wouldn't be doing it, right? :)

How much time should we anticipate to check in our luggage when we arrive in Whittier?

We are arriving by train at 12:05 on September 10th and leaving again at 12:45 to continue our train ride to Spenser and Grandview before returning to Whittier at 06:05.

Will we have time to check in our luggage between 12:05 and 12:45? We can complete the embarkation procedures when we arrive at 06:05. The personnel at Princess was unable to answer this question.

Dean and Diane

Edited by Dean
Move to new post

Been on the Coral 3 times and LOVE that ship Twice to Alaska (D502, C501) and once to Panama Canal (C502). The midship bumpout is fabulous, affording more privacy and partially covered which is my choice! Take a look on Tom's website. Happy sailing, a long time to wait!

Been on the Coral 3 times and LOVE that ship Twice to Alaska (D502, C501) and once to Panama Canal (C502). The midship bumpout is fabulous, affording more privacy and partially covered which is my choice! Take a look on Tom's website. Happy sailing, a long time to wait!

If you book a cabin on the Caribe Deck go to the back of the ship there is a door go outside on this deck you will love it you have the back of the ship most of the time all to your self.

Tony

If you book a cabin on the Caribe Deck go to the back of the ship there is a door go outside on this deck you will love it you have the back of the ship most of the time all to your self.

Tony

That's a great recommendation and it's also on Baja deck. A friend described our Baja deck inside cabin as having a "great balcony"...the uncrowded partially covered aft viewing deck with loungers. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's a great recommendation and it's also on Baja deck. A friend described our Baja deck inside cabin as having a "great balcony"...the uncrowded partially covered aft viewing deck with loungers. :)

I forgot to tell you don't tell anyone it will be our secret door on the Coral Princess :eek: LOL

Tony

Question. deck 10 Caribe, C727 & C728 balconies, I would imagine that you not only have starboard/port side view, you also have an aft view?

princess%20cabin_zpssoywvfku.jpg

Yes somewhat. Its the same on both sides of the ship.

Caribe is the third blue glass rail up.

You always have the ability to head out the door right next to your cabin and go outside to the viewing area as well.

photo-e.jpg

Yes somewhat. Its the same on both sides of the ship.

Caribe is the third blue glass rail up.

You always have the ability to head out the door right next to your cabin and go outside to the viewing area as well.

photo-e.jpg

Nice shot! Thanx so much. That says it all.:)