Medications and Vitamins

hpojda

This is our first cruise, and my mil told me that if you bring any medications or vitamins on board they need to be in the original bottles. Is this true? It seems a bit excessive.

Not true. We bring pills in organizers and smaller bottles all the time.

It's probably a good idea to carry an Rx for important meds...just in case. Even though I say this, I don't do it. :)

It is strongly recommended if you are carrying any serious narcotics or other pain meds. It is required in many countries, like Australia, for example.

No problem with vitamins...although if someone questions them, it can be clumsy to explain what you have.

So, no, not excessive at all.

Edited by CruiserBruce

A lot depends on where you are traveling...

For example, you cannot bring any HRT type meds into the UAE. Some countries have strict rules about narcotics.

If you are traveling from the US on a Caribbean cruise, you will be fine with pill boxes.

In Australia it is always suggested that if you are travelling overseas and carrying medications to also carry a letter from your doctor listing the medications and the condition they are for. For all the overseas trips I have done I have always done this, but I must say that when I have offered to show the letter at customs/immigration etc no-one has ever asked to see it. Better to be safe than sorry though.:)

In Australia it is always suggested that if you are travelling overseas and carrying medications to also carry a letter from your doctor listing the medications and the condition they are for. For all the overseas trips I have done I have always done this, but I must say that when I have offered to show the letter at customs/immigration etc no-one has ever asked to see it. Better to be safe than sorry though.:)

Cheers was wondering about this.:):)

This is our first cruise, and my mil told me that if you bring any medications or vitamins on board they need to be in the original bottles. Is this true? It seems a bit excessive.

We take some common high blood pressure meds. For a cruise of 14 days or less we pack a week's worth in one of those 7 day Mon., Tues, Wed ... containers and the balance plus extras we place in a bottle. For longer cruises, we take along the 7 day container, and take separate labeled bottles for each Rx. We also ask the Dr. for the script just in case.

Vitamins we repackage in zip lock bags and label each bag.

We also take a supply over the counter meds for colds, things like decongestants, cough drops, ibuprofen, motion sickness pills. Most of these we repack into little zip lock bags and label them. The zip locks reduce weight and bulk.

Remember to place Rx meds in your carry on and not in your checked luggage.

Just further to my post reply earlier, I always declare, if asked, that I am carrying drugs and the explanation that they are medication for personal use always seems to be accepted without further question. But as I said previously, I always have the letter from my doctor as back-up just in case. In addition it is probably important only to be carrying sufficient to cover the period of time you are away from your home.:)

I take what I need plus a few extra days just in case of delays. If tabs are in boxes I fold boxes to save space. I have to take syringes of clexane for blood clots they are bulky not heavy so unpack and fold flat.

We have and always will take the containers.

I also take my prescription medications in the original container which according to the US CBP is a requirement or to have a copy of your prescription or a letter from your doctor. How often that's enforced I have no idea but I'm going to be prepared by legally carrying my prescriptions.

"Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S".

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/~/traveling-with-or-mailing-medications-and-medical-devices%2C-such-as-needles-or

Not true. We bring pills in organizers and smaller bottles all the time.

It's probably a good idea to carry an Rx for important meds...just in case. Even though I say this, I don't do it. :)

If you read my post with the CBP statement, it is true and prescription medications must be in the original container with the doctor's prescription, have a copy of the prescription or a letter from your doctor.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We never have put them daily pill containers. Husband is also

Insulin dependent. We do bring list of meds and a letter from his Dr about his medical condition. This will be our 7th cruise with Princess

I always bring my Rx in a pill organizer or baggies, but I bring photos of the prescription labels on the bottles on my iPhone. With mail order delivery of 90 days of Rx it is ridiculous how large some of those bottles are and how much space they would take up in a suitcase.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Vitamins & supplements go in my pill minder. Rx meds come in their prescription bottle. I used to put them in the pill minder, but then when there were some cruises that went longer than scheduled in the news, I decided that I would always carry a double supply just in case. So, I have kept the previous Rx bottle with just a 2 week supply in it for week long trip. Then, if anything were to happen on the way home, I still have the rest of my 90 day supply at home. The vitamins & supplements I don't worry about running out of - they are not necessary for survival.

Vitamins & supplements go in my pill minder. Rx meds come in their prescription bottle. I used to put them in the pill minder, but then when there were some cruises that went longer than scheduled in the news, I decided that I would always carry a double supply just in case. So, I have kept the previous Rx bottle with just a 2 week supply in it for week long trip. Then, if anything were to happen on the way home, I still have the rest of my 90 day supply at home. The vitamins & supplements I don't worry about running out of - they are not necessary for survival.
Depending upon the itinerary it is good to bring extra. On our South American cruise DW only brought enough of one medication for the length of the cruise. The Chilean earthquake struck and we decided to stay on the Star for the cruise back to Argentina. The Medical Center was arranging to get medications for people but they didn't have or couldn't get that Rx. We went to a large Pharmacia near the cruise port with a Spanish speaking friend and were able to purchase the drug. Lesson learned!

No... we no longer bring medications in origjnal bottles, I put meds in one bottle and bring a pill organizer...I do bring a list of medications, my pharmacy usually includes a list of presciptions when filled.

In 30+ years of travel by ship and air domestic and international have never ever had anyone question our medications...

I would not be concern, unless I had some sort of narcotic medication, then I would carry in original bottle.

I have never cruised or taken a vacation with the original Rx bottles or the script. I always use a pill box and put them in a baggie in case they pop open.

I would need a separate suitcase, if i had to bring all the RX bottles.:D

Julie