Why so much negativity?

babs135

i'll swap your sensetive laptop with my old one so that i could type a capital letter again. :D

yes, i do feel it's a bit unfair as well but i also know that it's ncl, with another of their piss poor policies that allows me to do what i will do. personally, i have always advocated for making the dcs mandatory, but until it changes, i have the right to do what i plan to do. i do feel a bit sorry for the workers who will suffer slightly, but again, that is ncl's doing, not mine. but to be fair, i will do this on the first day of the cruise and not the last so i'm sure that my steward will be notified......then again, maybe not considering ncl's poor communications....and he can adjust accordingly if he wishes. i don't make the bed often at home so not having it made on a cruise when i spend little time in the room to begin with would not be an issue.

the biggest problem is that many people don't have realistic options to do something else if they are within final payment when ncl changes their policies. most people that i know can't just blow off a multi-thousand dollar cruise and spend another multi-thousand dollars to cruise with someone else.

You're absolutely right. You have the right to do what you plan to do. But, at least let's be honest about it and recognize that it is 100% your decision and not "NCL's doing."

so one is expected to spend money for a cruise expecting things to be certain ways and then told after final payment that things are not as they were presented. :confused: and you think that is okay. :confused: to me, that is bait and switch which is illegal in most places. yes, i have to go to the package because i don't want to have headaches on a cruise due to lack of caffeine. i guess it's also my choice that i can't stand the taste of coffee so soda is the only way i can get my caffeine intake.

btw, yes, you can bring dasani water on board a carnival ship if you can find it in a can. same for soda on a carnival ship. if ncl changed to that to attempt to end smuggling or shorten the waiting time in security lines, i'd have no problem with their stance.

to me, it is immaterial that the service personnel are not the ones making the decision. they simply bear the brunt of what i can do to ncl. as a previous poster stated, ncl does not care how their change in policies affect their customers so i really do not care how my change in my normal polciy.....paying the dsc.....affects ncl, or their employees. i guess luckily those emplyees will only have to put up with me for just one more cruise as i have no plans to ever sail ncl again. ccl, rccl, princess, and hal do very well for me.

I am sorry to hear about your headaches. Having suffered from migraines for years I can so understand the help caffeine can give. I do not think it is right to misrepresent any product nor do I support this. I just said we are never forced to purchase any add-ons. You kindly explained why you need to have soda. Possible suggestion: I know you have only one more cruise with NCl but perhaps a work around bringing a prescription note from your doctor detailing the certain soda brand name along with your soda. I realize you will no longer sail on NCl but perhaps this may be something you can do to make your cruise nicer.

truthfully, i have no idea how to file a lawsuit nor do i have the extra cash lying around to retain a lawyer to do so. that being said, when the website states you are allowed to take water and soda on board when you book a cruise and then when after you've paid final payment and can't get a full refund when they change that written policy, what would you call it. :confused:
I would call it a change of policy. Unfortunately with all cruise lines (and they all do it), according to the guest ticket contract, they can do it and they don't have to notify their passengers. It would be nice if they notified the passengers in advance, so that they can cancel if they don't like the change, but out of the three lines I cruise, this has not always been the case. We as cruisers either have to accept the changes or we don't and the only way we can make an impression is to not cruise with a line where we don't feel that their business practices meet our expectations, but the unfortunate thing is all cruise lines can change things at will.

Just as a total aside.

I haven't been following this thread closely since this morning, but one of the things I did say then was that I didn't really understand why people who no longer cruise with NCL stick around here.

It is absolutely your right to do so, I just don't know why you bother. I have a feeling you may have told us why earlier, but can't be bothered to go back and check as I'm using my phone at the moment.

Your name is one that I have seen on here for many years. The changes that NCL have made have obviously affected you more than me, and you have moved on. For whatever reason, you stick around, but your contributions are still constructive and logical. We aren't just presented with lists, and you make extremely valid points in a reasoned way. Your contribution to these boards is a positive one even though the points you make may be negative.

I'm sure that we agree on the majority of things when it comes to cruising and when we don't I know we see it as a difference of opinion, rather than something to fall out about.

I've picked up on you as you happened to post now and I've drink lots of wine, but there are many others like you. Those people with more negative opinions of NCL really do have something to add to this forum, as long as they present it in the right way. Similarly, some who have positive opinions really are a negative influence here.

As you can probably tell, I've had lots of wine. :)

Keith

Thank you for a reasoned response. I too am 'one over the eight' having just returned from a wedding party and now having a couple of scotches before bedtime!

I continue to post my opinions in the (probably) vain hope that NCL might just take the points on board and to counter some of the 'sheeple' postings that NCL can do no wrong and 'it's in the contract so suck it up buttercup'.

If I ever book NCL again, I wish to go into that deal from a position of knowledge. My main concern is that there are just too many changes happening too quickly which gives me an impression of panic and 'off the cuff' management decisions.

If I had booked NCL with 'free' UBP and have now seen today that single malt scotches are no longer included, I would be a seriously unhappy bunny (rather like the Coke/bottled water drinkers were recently).

The other point that many seem to miss (or do not want to consider), is that there are many other cruise lines out there. I have branched out and, frankly, they are doing a better job than NCL and not gouging their customers (IMHO).

NCL's current business model has lost them a bundle from our household (I know it is buttons to them) but this seems to be becoming a bigger trend.

Well... We booked on the HAL Eurodam in a Neptune Suite with beverage package (includes coffee and bottle water too) for what we were going to pay to sail in a mini suite on Pearl. The Neptune Suite has a host of conveniences and amenities with it too, like included laundry. NCL is pricing the 2017-2018 sailings through the roof, and if you compare, you get more for less.

Edited by UPNYGuy

Constant petty carping is as annoying as constant unthinking cheerleading. However, if someone feels things are not right, why not point it out? If a service provider is not made aware of perceived flaws in the service offered, there will be no incentive to improve.

A number of posters would like to sail NCL for a number of reasons: ports of embarkation not well served by other lines, particular itineraries, on board experience, etc. are all factors. But if they see certain negatives as limiting the desirability -- why not point them out?

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Wow, I really have stirred the hornets' nest. Lots of interesting (!) comments. Do we know if NCL 'reads' this forum? Would love to be a fly on the wall when they hold their regular meetings :D

All I will add to my original post is that I hope that all the people with negative feelings are not on board when I am. Nothing worse than being stuck in a place with a load of miserable people :eek:

As I have said I will board the Breakaway with an open mind and intend to enjoy every minute of it. Might be tempted to do a review when we've returned home (but do I have to look for the negatives first :D:D)

You're absolutely right. You have the right to do what you plan to do. But, at least let's be honest about it and recognize that it is 100% your decision and not "NCL's doing."

yes, let's be honest. in 19 cruise i have not once removed my dsc or gratuities on any line. so it's a reaction to feeling screwed over by ncl. if you don't consider that 'ncl's doing', so be it. my opinion is different.

I am sorry to hear about your headaches. Having suffered from migraines for years I can so understand the help caffeine can give. I do not think it is right to misrepresent any product nor do I support this. I just said we are never forced to purchase any add-ons. You kindly explained why you need to have soda. Possible suggestion: I know you have only one more cruise with NCl but perhaps a work around bringing a prescription note from your doctor detailing the certain soda brand name along with your soda. I realize you will no longer sail on NCl but perhaps this may be something you can do to make your cruise nicer.

oh, it's not the brand of soda that i need, just the caffeine intake. i don't care whether it's coke, pepsi, or walmart brand soda. it's the fact that i normally spend about 5 dollars to cover the soda i need to take with me on a cruise when i carry it on and that 5 dollar deficit to my wallet has now bloomed to 53 dollars for the same week due to ncl's ridiculous, money grabbing decision. and it's not that i can't afford the extra 48 dollars.....it's the principle and almost sadistic nature by ncl that ticks me off to no end.

i appreciate your concern and i will still have a good cruise, if for no other reason than to make my wife and friends happy. :)

Edited by Computer Nerd

I would call it a change of policy. Unfortunately with all cruise lines (and they all do it), according to the guest ticket contract, they can do it and they don't have to notify their passengers. It would be nice if they notified the passengers in advance, so that they can cancel if they don't like the change, but out of the three lines I cruise, this has not always been the case. We as cruisers either have to accept the changes or we don't and the only way we can make an impression is to not cruise with a line where we don't feel that their business practices meet our expectations, but the unfortunate thing is all cruise lines can change things at will.

a change of policy where one has the option to say no thanks, give me my money back and i will go somewhere else would be a simple change of policy. a change of policy where one cannot receive a refund is bait and switch.

how would you feel if as soon as you boarded you were told, 'sorry, due to a change in policy, food is no longer included in your cruise fare but for only an extra thousand dollars a person you can continue to eat on board as you have in the past.'. it's just a change of policy after all.

Wow, I really have stirred the hornets' nest. Lots of interesting (!) comments. Do we know if NCL 'reads' this forum? Would love to be a fly on the wall when they hold their regular meetings :D

All I will add to my original post is that I hope that all the people with negative feelings are not on board when I am. Nothing worse than being stuck in a place with a load of miserable people :eek:

As I have said I will board the Breakaway with an open mind and intend to enjoy every minute of it. Might be tempted to do a review when we've returned home (but do I have to look for the negatives first :D:D)

NCL use to come on here an post quite a bit in the past, but I only remember once or twice that they have done it in the last year. I think they skim over it, but I doubt they take a lot of this into meetings and if they do I'd bet they get some good laughs. I know some think that bringing up issues on here will get NCL to change them, but that really doesn't happen. NCL did reverse the food back to the cabin policy they inacted, but I think that had more to do with the media and the fact that there was no way for them to enforce the policy.

You will see some negative Nellies onboard, that is just the way life is, but for the most part, I've never seen anyone go around complaining about everything. Even one really bad one can be a pain in the butt. Friends went on a Celebrity cruise right after they changed their loyalty program and there was this one man who kept going around to everyone telling them they were getting screwed and to call Celebrity about the changes. Everyone was ready to throw this man overboard because he was such a disruption, because he wouldn't stop annoying people.

I hope you will do a review and I would be interested in what negatives you have on your cruise or if you have no negatives. BTW, I've never been on a cruise that is 100% perfect, but have never let the little things bother me, while others get totally upset if there is a little dust on top of a picture....thankfully, we are all not the same.

a change of policy where one has the option to say no thanks, give me my money back and i will go somewhere else would be a simple change of policy. a change of policy where one cannot receive a refund is bait and switch.

how would you feel if as soon as you boarded you were told, 'sorry, due to a change in policy, food is no longer included in your cruise fare but for only an extra thousand dollars a person you can continue to eat on board as you have in the past.'. it's just a change of policy after all.

No disrespect intended, but you keep accusing NCL of bait and switch. Think about it, NCL and other cruise lines have been making these kind of changes for many, many years, if it were bait and switch, don't you think it would have been stopped by now if what they were doing was truly bait and switch or illegal in any means?

How would I feel if I got on the ship and they said food was not included. Well, I would simply take the Hotel Director to a computer and print out the Guest Ticket Contract that I saved on my computer that I agreed to when I purchase my cruise which clearly states food is included in the fare, because I actually read contracts:

3. Terms of Fare:

(a) Items Included in Fare: The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food...

Now, Celebrity (I used Celebrity because I do eat in their MDR, where on NCL I only eat dinner in specialty restaurants) could tell me that I can only eat in the buffet, which wouldn't make me happy, but I understand they are able under the contract to do so, and I would never cruise that line again, because I would find no value only eating in the buffet.

I've been cruising a long, long time and things have been discontinued or changed on many of my cruises, but since I've read the guest ticket contract that I agreed to when paying my money, I understand the rules I signed up for. If I don't agree to the rules of a contract, I don't sign up to do business with that company.

You may feel differently, which is fine, but this is how I feel.

No disrespect intended, but you keep accusing NCL of bait and switch. Think about it, NCL and other cruise lines have been making these kind of changes for many, many years, if it were bait and switch, don't you think it would have been stopped by now if what they were doing was truly bait and switch or illegal in any means?

How would I feel if I got on the ship and they said food was not included. Well, I would simply take the Hotel Director to a computer and print out the Guest Ticket Contract that I saved on my computer that I agreed to when I purchase my cruise which clearly states food is included in the fare, because I actually read contracts:

3. Terms of Fare:

(a) Items Included in Fare: The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food...

Now, Celebrity (I used Celebrity because I do eat in their MDR, where on NCL I only eat dinner in specialty restaurants) could tell me that I can only eat in the buffet, which wouldn't make me happy, but I understand they are able under the contract to do so, and I would never cruise that line again, because I would find no value only eating in the buffet.

I've been cruising a long, long time and things have been discontinued or changed on many of my cruises, but since I've read the guest ticket contract that I agreed to when paying my money, I understand the rules I signed up for. If I don't agree to the rules of a contract, I don't sign up to do business with that company.

You may feel differently, which is fine, but this is how I feel.

Yes, companies make changes all of the time but the way that they make those changes can speak volumes about how the company perceives its customers and how it cares for its customers. I think we can all agree that NCL can improve in this area. It could be something as easy as giving passengers the option of cancelling their cruise without penalty if they want to.

Yes, companies make changes all of the time but the way that they make those changes can speak volumes about how the company perceives its customers and how it cares for its customers. I think we can all agree that NCL can improve in this area. It could be something as easy as giving passengers the option of cancelling their cruise without penalty if they want to.
I've said for years that NCL needs help with their communication. I think if there is a major change, then they should give customers the opportunity to cancel without penalty, since it doesn't look like they will ever announce things out far enough.

I've said for years that NCL needs help with their communication. I think if there is a major change, then they should give customers the opportunity to cancel without penalty, since it doesn't look like they will ever announce things out far enough.

This is deeper than just communication, many of the changes give the impression that NCL is being run by a bunch of neophytes with no cruise line experience (even though we all know that isn't the case). And of course the devil is in the details- what is major to someone else may not be major to you or I (I never expected to see people cancelling their cruises because of the water/soda issue but they did and I wouldn't call that a major change, maybe a moderate one).

There is also a perception problem with the amount by which they are increasing some charges. Whilst inflation is running in low single figures, how can they justify increases of near 50% for some things? (e.g. UBP from $55 to $79; super premium spirits from around $10 to $16.95 (figures approximate from memory but you get the picture).

We all expect prices to increase over the time between booking and sailing - however - we do not expect exorbitant rises such as we are seeing at the moment.

Edited by SteveH2508

There is also a perception problem with the amount by which they are increasing some charges. Whilst inflation is running in low single figures, how can they justify increases of near 50% for some things? (e.g. UBP from $55 to $79; super premium spirits from around $10 to $16.95 (figures approximate from memory but you get the picture).

We all expect prices to increase over the time between booking and sailing - however - we do not expect exorbitant rises such as we are seeing at the moment.

Increasing the cost of the UBP increases it's marketability and increases the amount collected from the customer for the gratuity. Raising the price of the premium liquors means that those having the UBP would have to pay for those instead of receiving them under the program, thereby increasing the profit from the packages are purchased and reducing the loss from the packages that are promotional.

Oh, you'll see them! But, it certainly won't be "a load" of them (well, unless something happens on board like missing a port :p). Every once in while I see someone with a sour face who's grumbling and I feel a little sorry for them that they're having such a miserable time on vacation. But, the vast majority of people will be having a great time and enjoying their vacations. :D

Enjoy your cruise!

yes, let's be honest. in 19 cruise i have not once removed my dsc or gratuities on any line. so it's a reaction to feeling screwed over by ncl. if you don't consider that 'ncl's doing', so be it. my opinion is different.

No, I don't. I understand you're feeling screwed by NCL. I actually sympathize with your situation and I do think the implementation of this policy change should have been far enough in advance that anyone who was booked could have canceled without penalty. Obviously, it's so important to some people that they would cancel their cruises for want of reasonably priced soda and water. I understand that people feel they've been treated unfairly. BUT, the staff didn't do this. NCL didn't make the decision you should become dependent upon caffeine. You allowed that. You said you're planning to remove the DSC. That's your decision. As I said before, you have the right to do it. But, it's your decision.

so, in what i assume to be a long life for you so far, you have never seen a company do anything illegal. or some companies got away with doing something illegal for a very long time before they were stopped. :confused:

for a company to be stopped from doing something illegal someone has to hire a lawyer and go after them. that's why many times companies do illegal things because they feel they can get away with the illegal practice, or at least long enough to make a great profit before someone forces them to stop.

No, I don't. I understand you're feeling screwed by NCL. I actually sympathize with your situation and I do think the implementation of this policy change should have been far enough in advance that anyone who was booked could have canceled without penalty. Obviously, it's so important to some people that they would cancel their cruises for want of reasonably priced soda and water. I understand that people feel they've been treated unfairly. BUT, the staff didn't do this. NCL didn't make the decision you should become dependent upon caffeine. You allowed that. You said you're planning to remove the DSC. That's your decision. As I said before, you have the right to do it. But, it's your decision.

it's my decision based on my reaction to ncl's decision. let's be real. if ncl didn't make this knee jerk decision i would not have made my decision to pull the dsc. as for my supposed dependence on caffeine, remember that the next time you see someone drink a cup of coffee. everyone 'enjoys' certain things in life, that doesn't make that person an addict as you are trying to portrait.

but as we both agree to, i have the right to do this and i will. i just hope my cabin steward doesn't get as upset about my decision as some of the people here do. ;)

so, in what i assume to be a long life for you so far, you have never seen a company do anything illegal. or some companies got away with doing something illegal for a very long time before they were stopped. :confused:

for a company to be stopped from doing something illegal someone has to hire a lawyer and go after them. that's why many times companies do illegal things because they feel they can get away with the illegal practice, or at least long enough to make a great profit before someone forces them to stop.

Yes, I've lived a long life, thanks for noticing.

I've seen companies do illegal things but not over many, many years when it comes to bait and switch.

I just believe if someone is going to talk the talk, then they should be willing to walk the walk and file a suit against NCL for bait and switching. It wouldn't cost much to go to small claims court!!!

Yes, I've lived a long life, thanks for noticing.

I've seen companies do illegal things but not over many, many years when it comes to bait and switch.

I just believe if someone is going to talk the talk, then they should be willing to walk the walk and file a suit against NCL for bait and switching. It wouldn't cost much to go to small claims court!!!

Heck, I would pitch in on that lawsuit just to put all this nonsense to bed!

I can understand folks getting upset at the plethora of changes NCL has been implementing in such a short period of time. I think, as others have stated on this thread, that NCL really needs a better business plan (the huge price increase on premium drinks was a bit shocking). Guess they don't subscribe to Mary Poppins "A spoonful of sugar...."

That being said, I've seen negative changes in all the cruise lines I've sailed (albeit a bit slower than NCL changes recently). Everyone has to make their cruise choices on what matters most to them. What keeps me coming back to NCL is their embrace of the solo cruiser. When they start pricing me out of their solo cabins, I guess I'll look elsewhere.

Heck, I would pitch in on that lawsuit just to put all this nonsense to bed!
If a lawyer thought it was a case, they would take it on a contingency. I just wish folks would read their guest ticket contract with NCL fully, so they would know what NCL can and can't do before accusing them of illegal acts.