Getaway going?

I realize I am probably late to the discussion, but I've only started planning another cruise.

I thought the whole point of Getaway & Escape was to have both in the Caribbean with one doing dedicated Western runs & one doing dedicated Eastern runs.

Now I see Getaway is going to Europe next summer.

Did I misunderstand, or did this surprise others?

In order to do a May cruise on Escape for the week we are available we'll have to repeat ports. I'm rather disappointed (although I'd love to go back to Little French Key.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Getaway is going to Europe for the summer season. No different than, The Star, The Jade, The Spirit or The Epic.

I suppose not. I just thought the originally promoted intention was to have them both there running dedicated routes.

I'm bummed out. But I'll recover.

Kids are suggesting RCI...

I'll figure something out.

Actually, I thought that the plan was to move the GA to Europe permanently. Was surprised to see her coming back to the US.

Interesting. I missed that prediction. I remember her being dubbed "Miami's ship."

We had a blast. I don't blame other parts of the world wanting to share her.

I wonder if NCL just didn't see enough demand for two Miami-based ships year round.

[quote=Vacationdreamer

No, we won't be on the Getaway. We're doing the Baltics this year and it's quite an expensive cruise to do just for the ship. Its size seems to be causing some problems in ports like Stockholm as well.

I think the Getaway is very much a good weather ship and not ideal for the Baltics in that way too.

I think they would have been better putting the Getaway in the Med and sending the Epic to the Baltics. I'd probably have done a Med cruise specifically to be back on the Getaway and I think the Epic would have been just as good in the Baltics.

But im sure they have better market research than i do. I'm not really their target audience after all.

My mistake. It was the spirit moving permanently.

January 26, 2916

"Norwegian will bring Norwegian Getaway, currently the second newest ship in the fleet, back to Europe for the first time since its delivery in 2014, giving guests the opportunity to experience the ultimate in freedom and flexibility on eight- or nine-night Baltic Capitals cruises from Copenhagen. This spectacular itinerary will allow guests to explore UNESCO World Heritage sites, take in the picturesque Baltic countryside and experience the unique history, cultures and architecture of these famed European cities. The itinerary includes calls in Tallinn, Estonia; Helsinki, Finland; Stockholm, Sweden; along with an overnight in St. Petersburg, Russia."

I wonder if the change from Flamingo Grill to Margaritaville is to make the ship less Miami-specific?

Okay. Now it is me who is late to the discussion. I did not know they were changing the Flamingo Grill to Margaritaville! Just booked on the Getaway for November and was looking forward to the Cuban food at the Flamingo:( Does anyone know when that change is to happen. Hopefully not before November!!

Okay. Now it is me who is late to the discussion. I did not know they were changing the Flamingo Grill to Margaritaville! Just booked on the Getaway for November and was looking forward to the Cuban food at the Flamingo:( Does anyone know when that change is to happen. Hopefully not before November!!

Closing Sept 4 or 5 and re-opening on September 18 as Margaritaville. It's on the NCL website:mad:

The change will take place on Sept 18th. We are on the October 2nd sailing and will have just missed it!

The change will take place on Sept 18th. We are on the October 2nd sailing and will have just missed it!

Oh:(:(:( Can't believe it. This really messes up the Miami/Cuban theme. I actually was toying between the Getaway and RCL Serenade of The Seas. and it was the Miami/Cuban thing that tipped the scales. If I had not already booked my airfare I would change it to The Serenade of The Seas.

Oh:(:(:( Can't believe it. This really messes up the Miami/Cuban theme. I actually was toying between the Getaway and RCL Serenade of The Seas. and it was the Miami/Cuban thing that tipped the scales. If I had not already booked my airfare I would change it to The Serenade of The Seas.

Looking at your signature, doesn't appear you have been on the GA or BA. The flamingo grill is an under utilized outdoor extension of the buffet. On the GA they added a selection of Cuban-ish items to the normal selections of hot dogs and hamburgers. Still a wide variety of international foods on the main buffet line. The switch to an branded restaurant will better utilize the space and draw more people to this outside dining.

Looking at your signature, doesn't appear you have been on the GA or BA. The flamingo grill is an under utilized outdoor extension of the buffet. On the GA they added a selection of Cuban-ish items to the normal selections of hot dogs and hamburgers. Still a wide variety of international foods on the main buffet line. The switch to an branded restaurant will better utilize the space and draw more people to this outside dining.

I think you are missing the important part of the post. If a person is looking forward to Cuban food and that is taken away, they are rightfully disappointed and whether or not they have sailed on a particular ship is not meaningful.

Disagree in every particular, and was onboard in June.

I wonder myself why they would put GA in the Baltics next summer...it has three water slides and that region could be cool/even rainy weather. Maybe to lessen the water slide lines to only the diehards...

Yeah. I wonder the same thing.

I was surprised to see the announcement that the Getaway was being moved to Europe for the Med season. I seem to remember that it was supposed to be in Miami full-time - hence the Miami/S FL theme.

I also thought I read that the Epic was going to be ported in Europe full-time, in large part because Europeans had less of an issue with the bathrooms. Now I'm booked on a Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral...so who knows?? I'm sure someone at NCL is making use of big data to make these decisions.

A side note - we sailed the GA this past February - I had wanted to sail it ever since its Miami theme was announced. I was not disappointed - I loved the ship and the decor. I also loved the Flamingo Grill - I ate breakfast there every morning, and lunch there several times. It was one of the features that made me want to sail the ship in the first place. I am really disappointed that NCL has decided to change it to a Margaritaville. While I haven't sailed the Escape, the reviews of the restaurant have done nothing to make me get excited about the prospect of eating there. Just my two cents.