Medical Emergency Anthem of the Seas 8/10/16

No one said it was easy on anyone. I've been practicing medicine now for more years than I like to admit. It never gets easy. I have also had first hand experience with a cardiac arrest on board a ship when someone went down no more than 30 feet away from me in the solarium. It is very difficult.

I've also been told my ship physicians that it is not uncommon to have at least one person pass on during a cruise. A lot of people with chronic medical issues decompensate with the changes in routine, food, sleep, stress, etc., etc....

I used to work in Cardiology. I am now an academic. I just wonder how many readers will appreciate the full gravity of that the word 'decompensate/ing'. It's like uh-oh to carnage in a few fateful minutes. (I don't know why I'm thinking mostly CCF...). Still gives me the chills. '

We just returned from this cruise as well. The second alpha call was for an elderly gentleman who fell getting off the elevator. He was in a lot of pain and complained that his hip was not right. Praying for him and his family.

That man was in our group. His hip replacement came out of it s socket, hence the fall.

The medical staff was amazing and extremely efficient. They quickly transported him to the medical center, started an I.v., took an X-ray , sedated him and manipulated the femur back into place. He was back in his cabin in 1.5 hrs. Went to orthopedic surgeon at home and now needs a new replace ten since he wore the old one out! Can t say enough good things about the care he received on board.

This ship has a giant black cloud hanging over it ... seems like every other week, we are hearing something bad happening on or to Anthem.

She's cursed.

Edited by F27TW

When I first started cruising 30 years ago, whenever I went on an Alaska Cruise we lost someone every cruise. I remember when i was on board the Pacific Princess (Love Boat) the first evening in the MDR, a very old lady (75+) was eating her soup and her face hit the bowl and she was gone! She went below decks to the cooler for the rest of the cruise but, if you have to go that's the way to go! She completed her cruise with a smile! No refunds!

When I first started cruising 30 years ago, whenever I went on an Alaska Cruise we lost someone every cruise. I remember when i was on board the Pacific Princess (Love Boat) the first evening in the MDR, a very old lady (75+) was eating her soup and her face hit the bowl and she was gone! She went below decks to the cooler for the rest of the cruise but, if you have to go that's the way to go! She completed her cruise with a smile! No refunds!

... I hate when that happens.

30 Minutes of compressions by the pool with a medical center just a few decks down?:confused:

The new standards are to treat in place and bring the equipment to the patient. Even brief interruptions of COR decrease survival potential.

This ship has a giant black cloud hanging over it ... seems like every other week, we are hearing something bad happening on or to Anthem.

She's cursed.

Congratulations, dumbest post ever.... You are awesome!!!!! You deserve the gold medal!

JC

Congratulations, dumbest post ever.... You are awesome!!!!! You deserve the gold medal!

JC

I agree, stupid post. Tragic and accidents happen every day on the high seas. If the cruisers on Holland could post more, you would hear more on their board.

Prayers to all involved on any ship

It is not a violation of HIPPA (which by the way was originally intended to ease health insurance availability) what would be a violation would be to announce the name of someone.

You are indeed correct in saying that there was no HIPAA violation in that there was no patient identification involved in an announcement, but the fact that others witnessed the resuscitation and COULD identify the party, that is a violation. You are also right in saying that it's original intentions are so far from what we are held accountable for.

The HIPAA (NOT HIPPA) laws are meant to protect us, but have failed miserably. They have served to impede medical care in so many ways... This is not the forum for this. Reading this thread, I commend the Doctor, nurses, and everyone else that cared for this person in distress.

I send good thoughts and prayers for all involved, esp the pt, their family, any crew involved, and all cruisers that were involved in any way.

No one said it was easy on anyone. I've been practicing medicine now for more years than I like to admit. It never gets easy. I have also had first hand experience with a cardiac arrest on board a ship when someone went down no more than 30 feet away from me in the solarium. It is very difficult.

I've also been told my ship physicians that it is not uncommon to have at least one person pass on during a cruise. A lot of people with chronic medical issues decompensate with the changes in routine, food, sleep, stress, etc., etc....

I was not insinuating anyone said it was easy. Just made the statement that it could not be easy on anyone. More empathy than anything.

I've said the same thing. People die all the time- everywhere. Ships are not immune. That's why they have a morgue.

Cursed,....the curse is Social Media where everyone knows everything immediately. Things like this have gone on all the time but people didn't get to know.

My thoughts are with everyone involved, thankfully there's a lot of good caring people out there.

cursed,....the curse is social media where everyone knows everything immediately. Things like this have gone on all the time but people didn't get to know.

My thoughts are with everyone involved, thankfully there's a lot of good caring people out there.

+1.

+2.