Food after a late ship excursion

Bowie MeMe

I am wondering what food options would be available if we took a shore excursion in Rangoon (or anywhere!) that went from 4:30 Pm to 9 PM. Hubby might parish if he lost his supper meal:p I would appreciate knowing what would be available after this late excursion.

Generally speaking it would be room service only.

However, if this is an Oceania sponsored excursion with a "significant" number of people involved, they may very well extend the hours in the Terrace Café - much like they do for lunches when people arrive after 1:30 - 2 PM from tours.

The Terrace Cafe wasn't too accommodating on our last cruise on the Marina from Lisbon to London for those who returned in the early afternoon from excursions. By 2pm everything was cleared away. Waves was open until 4pm and totally packed. We ordered in Waves and waited for our burgers in the Terrace. Another option are the small sandwiches in Batista, so we could always find something. Late evening tours have only room service as an option. I doubt that they would keep the Terrace open until later. The staff have to come back to work really early the next day.

We had that same issue on our last cruise. We had a private tour to the Blue Lagoon. Terrace was open until 11 pm. The bigger issue is in the morning. We had an early excursion in Reykjavik leaving at 6:45. The dining hours were adjusted to earlier but could not guarantee room service would have the food there by 6:30. The dining room was out as was the Terrace. Our solution was Horizons but had to settle for pastries. Our issue was the fact that my husband is diabetic, must take medicine and eat one hour later. He absolutely cannot go without food. He managed but it was not easy. I went to Guest Relations who were less than compassionate. Not sure what the solution is.

Pearl

We had that same issue on our last cruise. We had a private tour to the Blue Lagoon. Terrace was open until 11 pm. The bigger issue is in the morning. We had an early excursion in Reykjavik leaving at 6:45. The dining hours were adjusted to earlier but could not guarantee room service would have the food there by 6:30. The dining room was out as was the Terrace. Our solution was Horizons but had to settle for pastries. Our issue was the fact that my husband is diabetic, must take medicine and eat one hour later. He absolutely cannot go without food. He managed but it was not easy. I went to Guest Relations who were less than compassionate. Not sure what the solution is.

Pearl

Perhaps making or ordering a sandwich in the afternoon before your early tour and keeping it in the fridge overnight?

Or getting some fruit for the room. If food is not allowed off the ship (like in Australia, etc) take some protein bars or some such with you on the tour.

Just some ideas.

The Terrace Cafe wasn't too accommodating on our last cruise on the Marina from Lisbon to London for those who returned in the early afternoon from excursions. By 2pm everything was cleared away. Waves was open until 4pm and totally packed. We ordered in Waves and waited for our burgers in the Terrace. Another option are the small sandwiches in Batista, so we could always find something. Late evening tours have only room service as an option. I doubt that they would keep the Terrace open until later. The staff have to come back to work really early the next day.

OTOH, when we arrived back to Nautica around 2pm last month and went to Waves, the Waves staff suggested we go into Terrace -- which indeed was still open. Officially they had closed at 2pm but they were still welcoming guests. Yes, they did start to shut down around 2:30, but we had plenty of time for our lunch.

It may depend on the ship. We were on Nautica which is much smaller than Marina.

I do agree that with a 9pm return from a tour (whether private to ship's) it's very hard on the staff to stay up another couple of hours, which doesn't include the clean-up time.

Mura

9pm I think. Maybe on occasion 9:30.

It seems that it closes earlier than the more formal restaurants.

I'm not positive because when we eat in Terrace we usually go in between 7:30 and 8:30. We may well be there (especially with a later arrival) when they come around to warn us that they are starting to close down.

Mura

Paulchili is correct: on the ATW often the wonderful staff on Insignia kept Terrace open waayyy past their usual hours. Many of us thanked them for saving us from certain death by starvation.

Sometimes Waves put on extra offerings on a small buffet table for us and that was wonderful for us as well.

If their are LARGE groups coming back late O will keep Terrace open.

Our last cruise from HKG to ATH they did keep the terrace open late for the Petra and Luxor tours -- since all arrived back late after 9pm -- it would have really impacted room service if they did not (500 guests ordering room service :( ).

For Myanmar the ship docked at noon and tours left at 2pm on first day. On second day they had tours throughout day and evening. On first day I think the terrace was open late. On second day I would doubt that it was.

The bigger issue is in the morning. We had an early excursion in Reykjavik leaving at 6:45. The dining hours were adjusted to earlier but could not guarantee room service would have the food there by 6:30.

Pearl

Isn't room service available 24 hours a day? What happens if you ask for food at 5am? Do they not serve breakfast food until later? I'd order a sandwich.

According to the daily list of activities and opening times, room service is listed as starting at 6:30. I tried to figure this out ahead of time by asking at Guest Relations. They were useless. The woman at the desk just reiterated what was in the daily sheet. The problem was we were overnight in Reykjavik. With our early departure we needed to leave very early in order to do the Golden Circle tour. I am not sure if the ship tour included breakfast. I always carry peanut butter but I had a difficult time the night before getting bread at 10 pm in Terrace(which was open until 11). I realize the ship cannot accommodate all hours but they should have some options since I did try to resolve this a couple of days in advance.

Pearl

Isn't room service available 24 hours a day? What happens if you ask for food at 5am? Do they not serve breakfast food until later? I'd order a sandwich.

Yes it is -- We have had breakfast at 3:30AM for just the same reason -- early excursion.

From the O-site FAQ's

Onboard Dining

Do you have room service?

For your convenience, complimentary room service is available 24 hours a day from our extensive room service menu.

Yes, it was a private excursion but we were not the ones making the arrangements. Know it states 24 hour room service but the daily said otherwise. Also, why didn't Guest Relations tell us that room service was an option? I guess in the future I will need to be even more proactive with our food issues and bring baggies to put food from dining venues the day before.

You can see the menus for room service here

http://www.1mpages.com/OceaniaInsignia/RoomServiceMenu.html

Continental breakfast starts at 6:30am for room service but there is a long list of food items available 24 hours a day.

You could order a ham and cheese sandwich or salmon and veggies for very early breakfast. Fresh fruit too. Lots of other choices.