Canadian or us dollars

Cruiz'nBaers

We are going on a Canada/New England cruise' date=' we will be spending disembarkation day in Quebec City. Will we need Canadian dollars for any of our Canadian ports and Quebec City? Thanks[/quote']

You don't HAVE to have Cdn $ for most places in Canada, BUT you will get a far better exchange if you buy some Canadian $. U.S. $ is at a very advantageous spot right now. If you pay at the stores, merchants, etc. in U.S. $, the exchange rate will not be as good as a bank, since they have to absorb some exchange risk.

Yes, you will need to use Canadian dollars if you intend to make cash purchases. You can also use your U.S. bank issued credit cards (make sure you notify them in advance of your travel to Canada). I live just across the border from Canada (Washington state/British Columbia border). I visit my local bank and purchase Canadian dollars in advance when I know I will be visiting our neighbors (neighbours:)) to the North.

Yes, do buy some Canadian cash or use the ATM machines while in Canada. Our stores will not give you the best, or even close, exchange rate. Of course, you can use your credit card and they will convert the dollar for you.

I am not sure about Quebec, specifically. Since it is a cruise port they will likely accept U.S. dollars. However, you will get a better exchange rate through your bank. I know that on the Island of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, U.S. dollars are readily accepted in the city of Victoria which borders the U.S. On the other end of the island, U.S. dollars were not so readily accepted. If you do pay with U.S. dollars, know in advance that you will not get as good of an exchange rate and they must give you your change back in Canadian dollars. They cannot give you U.S. currency back as change.

Quebec City, Montreal, Halifax - the larger cities which expect to see lots of US tourists - will have at least the most tourist-focused businesses happy to take US$. As mentioned, expect a crappy exchange rate and change in CAD. Pretty much anywhere for anything $10+ you'll be able to use credit cards - NB: to tell your issuer you're travelling! - including taxis, but public buses are very commonly CAD cash only, exact fare required.

Unless you have arranged private tours which ask for cash payment only, or are visiting small towns, I'd be inclined to acquire just a modest amount of CAD in advance from your bank to use when you really have to and plan to use credit cards as much as possible. Use one with no Foreign Transaction Fee if you have one of course.

Hi there

We will be doing that same sort of cruise next Saturday. :):) Our first HAL cruise :) :)

As others have said you can use credit card for most any purchases in stores or restaurants. (even for small purchases) I typically don't use cash for any purchases because my credit card give "cash back".

Everyone will be willing to take the US currency (you can always ask before purchase) but as has been said you will either get no or a poor exchange rate and if you are due any change it will be in CDN $'s. Of course you can always spend this change.

So if are not going to be spending too much "cash" and don't mind losing maybe 10% on the exchange, just bring smaller bills so you won't be getting back too much change.

Just so you are aware, our smallest bill is $5, we have a $1 and $2 coin, so if you end up with too many coins you won't even be able to change it back at your bank. The coins would be good as a souvenir or for tips.

have a great cruise

Of course, ATMs are plentiful, so you could always use your debit card. There will be fees incurred, so expect that. Just about all establishments take debit cards for payment, just as in the U.S. That way you would be paying exact amount and not getting Canadian change. Our coins are a pain to carry around!

We follow a basic rule. When in Canada, use the CDN and when in the USA use the USD :). The use of credit cards (that do not impose foreign exchange fees) is also a great option to reduce your need for cash. As to getting CDNs,,,ATMs work just fine and will give you the best rates (unless your own bank rips you off with silly ATM fees).

Hank

Speaking as a Canadian, I go for weeks and sometimes months without making cash purchases as the vast majority of merchants accept credit and debit cards. We took a very similar Boston-Montreal cruise last September and the only time we used cash was to tip a tour guide/driver. If you are happier using cash, by all means get some CAD from an ATM, but you really don't need to. Tour guides will be happy getting tips in USD, and if you want to pay cash for a pack of gum, so what if you lose a few cents in exchange.

I'm another Canadian who also uses my debit or credit card everywhere. Are there any U.S. cards that don't have 4 digit PINs yet? If so, you may have trouble.

If you bank with Bank of America, you may find there are no Canada ATM/ABM fees if you use Scotiabank machines = Global ATM Network But, you need to double check that. I only know what to look for when in the U.S. :o

We follow a basic rule. When in Canada, use the CDN and when in the USA use the USD :). The use of credit cards (that do not impose foreign exchange fees) is also a great option to reduce your need for cash. As to getting CDNs,,,ATMs work just fine and will give you the best rates (unless your own bank rips you off with silly ATM fees).

Hank

Don't forget to confirm with credit card issuer if not aware.

If you give someone a US dollar for a $1 CA purchase, you are giving away money.

We spent several weeks in our RV Quebec this summer, and the exchange rate was like getting a 25% discount on everything we bought.

When we return from trips to Canada, I just put the leftover loonies, toonies and cash in a baggy to save for the next trip.

My best international travel tool, and it sounds insane, is the BlueBird Card, the Amex debit card from Wal-Mart. I kid you not.....

It is linked to my regular checking account. I move cash before I travel from my regular debit card to BlueBird. (and just in amounts as needed so if it is compromised there isn't much in there anyway) Then I can withdraw in any country at an ATM with the Amex logo for free, in their local currency. No conversion fee, no bank surcharge. I can get as little or as much cash as I want at a time.

I think they may have made changes to it recently that do not apply to existing cardholders, so I'm not sure. But as weird as it sounds, Wal-Mart's card is the best for international travel.

I'm another Canadian who also uses my debit or credit card everywhere. Are there any U.S. cards that don't have 4 digit PINs yet? If so, you may have trouble.

If you bank with Bank of America, you may find there are no Canada ATM/ABM fees if you use Scotiabank machines = Global ATM Network But, you need to double check that. I only know what to look for when in the U.S. :o

Yes, Scotiabank is the partner for Band of America. I'm glad that the relationship works both ways.

US credit cards are finally getting chips, but they're chip-and-sign for purchases, not chip-and-pin.

Just about all establishments take debit cards for payment, just as in the U.S.

Not responding specifically to you, Lady Arwen, but using you comment as a discussion springboard.

Worth a read: Nine places you should Never use your Debit Card

I have a couple of different no foreign transaction fee credit cards that I use when travelling abroad. My debit (ATM) card never touches anything but my bank's branded ATMs.

Not responding specifically to you, Lady Arwen, but using you comment as a discussion springboard.

Worth a read: Nine places you should Never use your Debit Card

I have a couple of different no foreign transaction fee credit cards that I use when travelling abroad. My debit (ATM) card never touches anything but my bank's branded ATMs.

You are so right! So accustomed to using debit here, that I forgot not such a great idea away from home, except bank ATMs. Good advice, thanks!

To be honest I never use my debit card at home either, only in my banks ATMs. I've had fraudulent charges on credit cards three times over the years. All three times the credit card company identified the activity. Only impact was activating a replacement card and remembering to use the the new number in future transactions online. (I don't do auto-pay so didn't have to make any changes there)

A friend had her debit card number stolen and her checking account cleaned out one afternoon before her bank called her about it. She got it sorted out with the bank and got her money back, but she had a nightmare of a time dealing with bounced in-flight checks and ACH bill payments. Hours on the phone.

Imagine that happening while on a cruise and offline for a week?

Edited by gpb11

I never use a debit card either. I get cash at ATM if I absolutely have to have it. But the BlueBird works well overseas since its cash, but if you only want $100 out, you just put $100 in online, so no pulling from regular bank account if compromised.

I've had fraud on CC so many times.....get a new card, no problem. The one time it happened on my debit card it was 15 DAYS before they gave me the money back!

I never understand this question. Would you expect Starbucks in NYC accept Pesos?

No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't expect them to accept Canadian dollars, British pounds, or Euros, either. It's rare for a business in the US to accept foreign money, yet many places outside the US do accept USD. Americans are spoiled that way, and many people have come to expect it. They shouldn't, but they do.

I always get some local currency in advance. To me, it's just how you should travel. I hate to be the "American abroad" who expects USD to be good anywhere in the world. I remember being at a river cruise stop in a very small town in the Netherlands. A woman who had been ashore came back to the ship all in a huff because a very small candy store wouldn't accept her USD. Like the world was SUPPOSED to operate on our currency.