Carnival cruise ship's decor

ABQrobin

Just for fun....

We have been on 4 cruises now, and feel like each ship has similar decor, but also some have taken colors and designs a bit too far.

Magic... lots of pink and lime green

Freedom..... like a 60s acid trip, too many paisleys on walls, floors, everywhere, after a week we got used to it, but it was very eeewww.

Glory.... actually very well done, more subdued, liked the Lido sailboat theme

Legend.... where to begin.... too many mirrors, ceilings too low, overall the whole ship was dark

What are your observations?

What you are seeing on these ships is Joe Farcus decor. It was meant, back then, to entice the first time masses to Carnival, to put them in a world they have never seen, and it certainly succeeded in that purpose.

He is a prolific and genius designer who, along with his wife, designed these interiors. Yes they perhaps are getting "old" now, and Farcus retired from doing Carnival ships. He had been doing them since day one! Breeze was the first ship he did not design.

Prior to Carnival, Joe worked for Morris Lapidus, a prolific Miami architect. So, he came from a good background.

You have to consider them for what they were intended to do at the time, and when they were done.

Still, love them or hate them, they remain incredible creations of human talent.

Edited by loubetti

Like Lou said, consider them relics of the past, just like slide rules, beehive hairdos, dial up corded phones, large finned autos and electric calculators.

Sure some of it is overpowering, but that was the intent back then. One ship I sailed on had ugly plastic palm trees in the MDR or buffet area, lit up with those miniature Xmas bulbs, ugh!

Today I certainly enjoy the quieter tones of a Celebrity ship to the Farcus mentality. Glad his time is past.

Edited by evandbob

I liked the "neon 80's Las Vegas on acid" Joe Farcus designs in the late 90's early 00's when I was a kid, but looking at them now makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Joe was a pioneer of his time but I'm VERY happy with the changes that have been made and love the newer decor.

I take it that you are all aware that Joe Farcus, and only him, designed the "whale tail" funnel. Yes?

He designed a ship as large as Vista many years ago, but Arison didn't want the $$$$ risk of building it.

You see, he just didn't do interiors. :D

The Farcus spaces are a little over the top in some instances, but I actually prefer them to the cookie cutter mall look on the Breeze and most other cruise line ships. Somewhere in the middle of the two extremes would be my personal preference, but that isn't likely to happen. The thing is, when I'm going on a somewhat exotic vacation to a somewhat exotic area, I don't really want my means of transportation/hotel to look like a generic mall back home. But that's just me. It seems many are tiring of cookie cutter houses and décor, with the growing interest in tiny and vintage homes. I think individuality and creativity in décor and design is a good thing. I so tire of seeing row after row of generic McMansions. Don't want to see it on cruise ships either. Give me individuality and personality over blandness and safe "design." But again, that's just me. To each his/her own.

Our first Carnival cruise was on the Imagination, back in 1999. Lots of gold and glitz. Had a Las Vegas-y look to it. I half expected to see the Rat Pack entertaining in the theater. The Conquest is kind of flowery. Puts me in mind of "Alice in Wonderland". My favorite Atrium décor (so far) is the Liberty. Can't wait to see the Vista!

I am still a fan of the Farcus décor. I love color anyway. I have not yet been on one of Carnival's newer ships, so cannot compare them, but from photos, I am not really fond of the newer decors. Would not stop me from going on a newer ship though because I don't cruise for the décor. I was on another cruiseline a few years back that was all beige, gold and brass, everywhere, and while it was a nice cruise, the décor was not really interesting to me. We are all different, but for me who loves color, the older Farcus ships are great. I loved them all, but my favorites have been Liberty and Victory. Splendor coming up soon, and so glad that I love pink:D

The 80s WERE over the top... So too were the Carnival ships... It is like Freemont street in Vegas vs. the newer hotels... Gaudy but fun... Except the pink zebra doughnuts everywhere on the Splendor... There is NO EXCUSE for that (other than some BAD stash)! And the naked mannequins in a few of the disco's... Who would think... "Wow, naked people in the disco, what could go wrong there"???

I didn't mean to offend anyone... just looking at the ships as visual art. I am an artist myself, so I am very visual, and find the over-the-top decor entertaining and sometimes a bit repulsive.

I love the Freedom, but still say it looks like some hippie from the 60s had a bad acid trip and threw up on the walls and floor. It is WAAAAY over the top.

And yes, it does remind me of Vegas Freemont street... loud and gawdy at times.

Just looking at a fun discussion....

I didn't mean to offend anyone... just looking at the ships as visual art. I am an artist myself, so I am very visual, and find the over-the-top decor entertaining and sometimes a bit repulsive.

I love the Freedom, but still say it looks like some hippie from the 60s had a bad acid trip and threw up on the walls and floor. It is WAAAAY over the top.

And yes, it does remind me of Vegas Freemont street... loud and gawdy at times.

Just looking at a fun discussion....

I took no offence by your post. I also look at some of the funny quirky décor and am amused by it more than anything. As for the Freedom, the only ship that I have been on twice, yes I agree with your assessment. LOL. I remember, that floor on the promenade deck, and imagine if a person had had too many drinks, then it would not be a good thing to focus, or try focusing on that floor:D Could end up in an embarrassing moment.

I know that I am in the minority in actually liking these decors, but that is the way I am, and funny analogy with Fremont St Las Vegas, Love that place! Also I miss so many of the old hotels from the Strip which have been imploded to make way for huge new mega resorts. give me Fremont St any day over what is on the strip today (maybe with the exception of Circus Circus;)

One positive about the Farcus designed ships is that they have distinct personalities, which makes them memorable. After sailing on the Breeze, the MSC Poesia, and RCCL Majesty of the Seas, I couldn't have told you what they looked like a mere week later, just glass, brass, marble, and neutral colors. This is not the case with Carnival ships, excluding the one non-Farcus designed Carnival ship I've sailed (Breeze). Years after getting off the Conquest, I still have a vivid image of that big sunflower in my mind. I can remember the big Frankenstein on the Miracle and the huge grapes in the MDR to this day. Just a couple of examples. There are, to be fair, some instances of Farcus' décor that are way out there though. At least he was fearless and didn't rely on safe, but boring and tired ideas.

Love Love Love the Joe Farcus decor on the ships. I found the Breeze, while pretty, to be too subdued for me. Just off the Splendor a few months ago and LOVED it. The pink was so fun. I have been on the Glory three times and enjoyed the Colors theme as well. Next up, the Ecstasy in 6 days. Looking forward to the neon!

I remember loving the Legend decor but not specifics.... I liked the stairwell decor on the Elation, and I like the dining rooms and theaters. I can't stand the colors they used in the staterooms but I tend not to spend much time in there anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the modern décor of Breeze and Sunshine, but I told my husband after sailing on Victory a few weeks ago that I wish Carnival would keep each ship a little different. I enjoy the different colors, different venue names, and "personality" of the Farcus ships. I do not want all the show lounges to be Liquid Lounge, or the comedy venue to be "Limelight Lounge." I want differences on the ships that I sail, it's part of the experience to me. I get excited wondering what the atrium of a new ship will look like, what color schemes I will see...it helps build the excitement of my upcoming vacation!