Mariner of the Seas overboard - rescued after 38 hours

I don't think CC will let me post the link to the news source since it is another cruise site, so I will copy and paste the text

AAstonishing news is coming from Chinese media today as a woman from Shanghai, China spent 38 hours in the sea after going overboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

A 31-year-old Chinese woman named Wang Si was taking a cruise on Mariner of the Seas when she accidentally fell overboard on August 10. Chinese authorities reported the woman was enjoying the stunning views on deck 4 when she was leaning too far over the railings she fell overboard at around 9 PM.

Wang Si was cruising with her parents, they reported to the ship’s crew that she was missing. The ship put out several ship-wide public announcements until midnight hoping she would turn up. When Mariner of the Seas docked at its home port in Shanghai the next morning at around 6 AM Chinese authorities boarded. An extensive search of the ship was done and Police did forensics. Wang Si was caught on the ship’s CCTV footage at the moment she fell overboard.

38 hours later Wang Si was found adrift at sea by a fishing boat on August 12 at around 11 AM. She was exhausted as expected but not in any serious condition. Wang Si was apparently a very good swimmer which ultimately saved her life. Wang Si even had a sleep while drifting at sea and learned how to swim from when she was in Kindergarten.

Omitted last paragraph as it linked to the other cruise site.

I agree......it's not like she was six feet tall. Glad she's OK.........sounds like she won the gold medal!

I agree.....I am glad that is she ok. My son is 6'7" and he couldn't "accidentally" go over board by just leaning over the railing.

I will say it:

You can't "fall overboard". She would have had to be somersaulting off that railing to go over.

I don't mean to make light of something very serious...but like you I feel it isn't easy to 'fall overboard'. I can fall over a chair or a shoe, but over a railing -- not so easy.

Was she practicing her balance beam routine on the railing, in light of watching too much Olympic coverage lately?

My next question becomes, is this a true story?

My next question becomes, is this a true story?

I was able to Google search the particulars and the site was on the list. Since this happened in Chinese jurisdiction I don't think it wasn't reported just that one would have to do a Google search in Mandarin or the like to find news articles.

And before my edit time elapsed here is what I found: http://www.chinanews.com/sh/2016/08-14/7971583.shtml

You can have Google translate the site for you.

Edited by Scotty G
add info.

I was able to Google search the particulars and the site was on the list. Since this happened in Chinese jurisdiction I don't think it wasn't reported just that one would have to do a Google search in Mandarin or the like to find news articles.

My belief is that a story like this 'with such a positive outcome' would somehow find its way to mainstream media IF it was true. The preponderance of times an over board situation occurs the person is either never found or surfaces dead.

My skepticism remains -- we are talking about the Chinese in this case and their lack of a 'free press' only complicates matters and that lawyer who has released the information has his own credibility issues.

And before my edit time elapsed here is what I found: http://www.chinanews.com/sh/2016/08-14/7971583.shtml

You can have Google translate the site for you.

See my post 9 above

Well, lets see, every link so far only reiterates the story from the same source, the China People's Daily, so repetition does not make it true.

Apparently, the woman's father was with her on the cruise, delayed in reporting her missing. No mention of the Majesty turning around and searching, just that the coast guard was notified. Strange. Also, if the ship had been notified, they would have reviewed the video footage, and not had the coast guard find it. Sounds a lot to me like propaganda trying to boost the Chinese coast guard.

Water temperature in the Sea of Japan this time of year is about 65*F, which for an unprotected body (normal street clothes) results in exhaustion and unconsciousness in 2-12 hours, and she was exerting herself by swimming.

I don't see a whole lot of seawater/sunburn damage on her arms, or the parts of her face visible. I also don't think that someone who "swam" for 38 hours would be walking off a ship.

I can only go by deck plans, but what railing on deck 4 was she leaning over? The first open deck appears to be deck 7? At that height, hitting the water in anything other than a perfect dive or a trained feet first entry would result in serious injury.

Well, lets see, every link so far only reiterates the story from the same source, the China People's Daily, so repetition does not make it true.

Apparently, the woman's father was with her on the cruise, delayed in reporting her missing. No mention of the Majesty turning around and searching, just that the coast guard was notified. Strange. Also, if the ship had been notified, they would have reviewed the video footage, and not had the coast guard find it. Sounds a lot to me like propaganda trying to boost the Chinese coast guard.

Water temperature in the Sea of Japan this time of year is about 65*F, which for an unprotected body (normal street clothes) results in exhaustion and unconsciousness in 2-12 hours, and she was exerting herself by swimming.

I don't see a whole lot of seawater/sunburn damage on her arms, or the parts of her face visible. I also don't think that someone who "swam" for 38 hours would be walking off a ship.

I can only go by deck plans, but what railing on deck 4 was she leaning over? The first open deck appears to be deck 7? At that height, hitting the water in anything other than a perfect dive or a trained feet first entry would result in serious injury.

Deck 4 is the promenade deck on Voyager class ships.

And my brain tells me: The ONLY source for this story on the internet is one, very loathesome site. :rolleyes:

I didn't get it from CLN. I found it on a the "hive" site and that was also the first result using Google news.

I didn't get it from CLN. I found it on a the "hive" site and that was also the first result using Google news.

I want to thank you for posting. I tried to find a news media source to help verify, did so and I assume you saw the result.

Edited by Scotty G

I don't see how Ms. Si remained in the sea for so long.

Well, lets see, every link so far only reiterates the story from the same source, the China People's Daily, so repetition does not make it true........

How true, that repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.....and it defies belief that a person could be swimming for 38 hours in water that is about 65*F because that would cause incredible exhaustion and unconsciousness (as you point out).

The person would have become 'fish food' -- sorry.