No more baristas?

hollydog

I read on Facebook (not the most reliable source!) that Princess is doing away with baristas preparing specialty coffee drinks and replacing them with automated dispensers for espressos, cappuccinos, etc. Please tell me this isn't true.

I read on Facebook (not the most reliable source!) that Princess is doing away with baristas preparing specialty coffee drinks and replacing them with automated dispensers for espressos, cappuccinos, etc. Please tell me this isn't true.

Not true, coffee cards and specialty coffees are a huge revenue generating operation for Princess and all part of the International Cafe concept.

Not true, coffee cards and specialty coffees are a huge revenue generating operation for Princess and all part of the International Cafe concept.

I suppose that Princess could transition over to a self-serve K-Cup system where your coffee card was good toward receipt of 15 K-Cups. The problem with that is that everyone would start to bring their own K-Cups on board and Princess would lose its revenue. So I can't see this system as a replacement for "fresh brewed coffee and Specialty Drinks." I could, however, see a future where self-serve machines are placed in numerous locations around the ship, (Horizon Court/Trident Grill/Pizza station) so that passengers could make their own coffee. They could either bring their own K-Cups with them, or buy them on board.

Not from what I have seen. I can't imagine eliminating the espresso baristas, as it seems to be a very popular area for on board revenue. On some ships they have expanded the number of places where barista service is available. For example on the Royal you can get espresso drinks in the Piazza, at the Princess Live bar, and in the Pastry Shop.

Hi,what does a barister do, is he a bloke who just pours out your coffee,because where I come from he is a high powered lawyer how earns fortunes.cheers,Brian.lol

A barrister is a lawyer who practices law in the UK and has the right to argue cases in higher courts of law. :D

A barista is someone who makes and serves coffee mainly specialty coffee like one would find at Starbucks. The word comes from Italian.

A barrister is a lawyer who practices law in the UK and has the right to argue cases in higher courts of law. :D

A barista is someone who makes and serves coffee mainly specialty coffee like one would find at Starbucks. The word comes from Italian.

Thank you from a Starbucks Barista!

the only arguing I do is with my in laws over politics:D

I suppose that Princess could transition over to a self-serve K-Cup system where your coffee card was good toward receipt of 15 K-Cups. The problem with that is that everyone would start to bring their own K-Cups on board and Princess would lose its revenue. So I can't see this system as a replacement for "fresh brewed coffee and Specialty Drinks." I could, however, see a future where self-serve machines are placed in numerous locations around the ship, (Horizon Court/Trident Grill/Pizza station) so that passengers could make their own coffee. They could either bring their own K-Cups with them, or buy them on board.

There is a wide swath of machines that land between "human barista" and K-Cups. The concierge lounge on the Disney Dream and the Studio lounge on the NCL GA (to name two I've used) have very expensive machines that make a variety of espresso-based drinks from whole beans, not from pods of any kind. I haven't been on Princess yet, but it looks like they have these machines in the concierge lounges on Royal and Regal.

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but after running into some snotty baristas, the fancy machines are fine with me. :)

There is a wide swath of machines that land between "human barista" and K-Cups. The concierge lounge on the Disney Dream and the Studio lounge on the NCL GA (to name two I've used) have very expensive machines that make a variety of espresso-based drinks from whole beans, not from pods of any kind. I haven't been on Princess yet, but it looks like they have these machines in the concierge lounges on Royal and Regal.

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but after running into some snotty baristas, the fancy machines are fine with me. :)

Since you've never been on Princess and are not a big coffee drinker, I thank you for your opinion.

K-Cups make coffee. Espresso is a whole different beast- and does not come from K-Cups (even if they say it does---:confused:).

That is like saying that bread and a roux are the same- because they both use flour.

For as nifty as the automated espresso machines are, there is no replacing a barista for creating a lovely beverage.

One thing you may find out- people hear are serious about their coffee. Really, really serious.

K-Cups make coffee. Espresso is a whole different beast- and does not come from K-Cups (even if they say it does---:confused:).

That is like saying that bread and a roux are the same- because they both use flour.

For as nifty as the automated espresso machines are, there is no replacing a barista for creating a lovely beverage.

One thing you may find out- people hear are serious about their coffee. Really, really serious.

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I thought my post made it clear I know the difference between a barista, a Keurig machine, and an expensive automated espresso machine that works from whole beans. I realize now I may have erred by expressing the fact that I'm fine with the last of those three, but there's no reason for anyone to be annoyed, I have zero control over Princess's coffee decisions.

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I thought my post made it clear I know the difference between a barista, a Keurig machine, and an expensive automated espresso machine that works from whole beans. I realize now I may have erred by expressing the fact that I'm fine with the last of those three, but there's no reason for anyone to be annoyed, I have zero control over Princess's coffee decisions.

I was not speaking specifically to you. I was writing one general post to address a number of comments made. When I directly address a person, I quote their post in my reply.

And, no, I am not annoyed by this. However, I am appreciative of people who are precise when they offer information.

Be well-

Tracie-Lynn

And because I am not a fan of "keyboard courage" (and I am not accusing you of this) Should you wish to discuss this further, feel free to email me at Tracie <at> Carolina <.> rr <.> com.

The concierge is reason enough for booking a suite on the Royal, Regal and Majestic

It would interesting if you referenced the Facebook post for the source of the info. Anything can change but Princess posted this a year ago which included more training for their baristas:

"We've recently been brewing up a new premium coffee program to bring you even more tasty coffee and tea drinks onboard. The new program we're calling "New Grounds Crafted Coffee" will include both hot and cold espresso-based drinks, barista coffee fusions, iced tea fusions, and green

tea and coffee extracts."

"Princess has partnered with the American Barista & Coffee School in Portland, Oregon, to ensure baristas on board are specially trained to provide a premium coffee experience. Caffe Boasi beans from Genoa, Italy, will be used to brew all specialty-crafted coffee."

:eek: If they try doing that on the Australian-based ships they won't be able to give cruises away let alone sell them.

We take our espresso-based coffees very seriously down this part of the world. ;)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

spyro1952 You're not gonna believe this but. (That's a truck drivers story, a fairy tale starts once upon a time) If you go to Japan you can buy any kind of hot coffee out of a vending machine you can dream up. Who needs Barristas or Baristsa or Berristas of whatever to pour coffee. Robot's can do it for less and make more profit. Probably headed that way! BTW/You can still get bilge swill in MDR.

NZ Pandora read the whole topic.

Edited by WupperAV

I will disagree. Not a fan of the Concierge lounges on the Royal/Regal.

Certainly not a deciding factor when we book a suite. IMO

... Though it is a nice little perk!

While the espresso machine was the highlight of my DH's one and only visit to the concierge lounge it wasn't enough to warrant repeated visits. We were on Dolphin deck in an Owner's Suite (aft) and neither of us felt it worth the effort to visit the lounge again - it probably didn't help that the concierge was on the phone the entire time we were in the lounge and never even acknowledged our presence with even the wave of a hand.