NCL's 18% 'suggested' gratuity charge

gary222

You just answered your own question. There will be a hassle for the staff and the guests served by the staff. You will cause lots of difficulties.

The 18% charge is the same regardless of what it's called.

I've been on lots of cruises and have seen first hand how any customer, who wants to remove tips, or gratuities, or service charges (or in your example, VAT....it's still 18%) affects staff. Request it taken off before you order, after you order, it doesn't matter.

And, how the cruise personnel handle it will be similar, if not identical to how we've described. That is, a service leader/manager, etc will need to be contacted, who in turn will want to find out what the root of your dissatisfaction is. Which will probably result in the crew member being chastised for not offering good service.

While this is going on, the crew member will be "de-motivated" by your snub. Those who are trying to get service will be delayed

FYI - I once requested to amend a DSC. Went to guest services at the time when this was would have been possible to request. No waiting, explained what I wanted to be done in less than 30 seconds. And it was done. No hassle, no difficulties and I had no request to explain my reason for doing so.

Why would a crew member be demotivated by a request to remove a discretionary auto-gratuity if the customer prefers to give the 18% in cash?

Why would it be a snub if the customer decides to not give at all an 18% gratuity and maybe something less and why would it be assumed the customer was dissatisfied?

If a bartender opens a beer, how many possibilities could there be during this operation for the customer to become dissatisfied?

So why would the manager chastise the bar tender?

Is that the culture on board NCL between managers and other staff?

Your also assuming the customer would knowingly request an lengthy operation at the bar that would delay a large amount of people?

Could there not be a possibility that a customer would refrain from such a request at a busy bar or till the time was more appropriate or choose a different bar ?

Why would a customer request to remove an on board 10% Italian VAT charge be handled in the same way as a request to amend an 18% service charge?

Surely the VAT charge is mandatory and the service charge is discretionary ?

How are they handled in the same way, how can there be a debate on whether or not to pay the VAT?

By definition a service charge is not discretionary, it is mandatory. It is a charge for the service.

A gratuity is by definition discretionary.

Some people believe the two terms are interchangeable. They are not. If there is a service charge, that is mandatory. If there is a gratuity, that is optional. But some people use the term "gratuity" because it is acting like a tip when they should be using the term "service charge" because it is part of the cost of delivering the product, and thus it is a mandatory charge.

I do know and it would. I work for a company that makes POS systems for cruise ships. There is no single button "leave off the service charge" button. It must be removed afterwards and even then it requires manager intervention.

Because throwing in an extra buck a drink builds significant good will with the staff, resulting in service that elevates from "everything you'd expect" to "above and beyond". Because it's good karma. Because it's appreciated and I can afford it.

The server didn't put that space on your receipt, nor did they ask for it to be put there. If the server asked you for a tip, they are being unprofessional.

They do get their cut of the service charge, but always appreciate any extra the pax can throw their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. 100%.

By definition a service charge is not discretionary, it is mandatory. It is a charge for the service.

A gratuity is by definition discretionary.

Some people believe the two terms are interchangeable. They are not. If there is a service charge, that is mandatory. If there is a gratuity, that is optional. But some people use the term "gratuity" because it is acting like a tip when they should be using the term "service charge" because it is part of the cost of delivering the product, and thus it is a mandatory charge.

So you can query or amend a ncl VAT charge in much the same way as you can an ncl DSC?

Why not ?

No, I didn´t because it didn´t happen.

Yes I did. Why would I be wrong in my thinking and why wouldn´t they be interested ?

Why ?

Are you sincere ?

Why would I bother staff or employees on board the ins and outs of amending dscs, gratuities when I'd find out before the cruise, that's partly the reason for posting on CC. Why not ask NCL? That's a possibility, although reading some other threads here, some posters are reporting you're more likely to get the correct answer from CC.

You certainly have an inflated opinion of yourself if you think most onboard staff have a genuine interest in you, your life etc.

Sure, they'll be interested in keeping you happy and to ensure you give tips/gratuities etc that's what they trained to do any deeper genuine interest is an act.

But if its not alterable why would NCL state that its a 'suggested' gratuity rather than mandatory?

Many people especially from the UK don't mind to pay a tip but prefer to know that it all goes to the waiter or person responsible for serving them, which is why they might prefer to have the charge removed and pay the gratuity in cash.

The 18% is 'suggested', and sufficient.

However should you feel motivated to sip additionally, you are not prevented.

Make sense?

Stephen

No - VAT is a Government tax which must be levied by law (but I am guessing you knew that?:rolleyes:)

Yes obviously - the question was for poster who implied querying port tax (e.g. a 10℅ Italian VAT) levied on various on-board purchases would be dealt with in the same way in regards to procedure and resolution, general difficulty as a DSC adjustment.

As NCL is a US line, it would seem usual to tip similarly to the US customs.

NCL Holdings is incorporated and pays corporate taxes in Panama. NCL Ships are registered in and fly the flag of the Bahamas (excluding POA). Excluding POA Crew and US Based Personnel, almost all NCL Employees are not US Citizens and do not pay US taxes. Not sure why you say NCL is US Line.

NCL Holdings is incorporated and pays corporate taxes in Panama. NCL Ships are registered in and fly the flag of the Bahamas (excluding POA). Excluding POA Crew and US Based Personnel, almost all NCL Employees are not US Citizens and do not pay US taxes. Not sure why you say NCL is US Line.

Where is its head office?

Where is its head office?

For US tax purposes and SEC filings it is 7665 Corporate Center Drive, Miami, FL 33126. Also, they trade on a US stock exchange.

That noted, they operate all over the world, have their ships built outside the US, employee few Americans, and pay their taxes to other countries.

But:

• Prices on board are in US dollars.
  • The charge to your credit card is from Miami (i.e. it's a foreign transaction for everyone but Americans).
  • The Freestyle Daily and all other material distributed on board is written in American English
  • Look at your keycard: the saildate printed at the bottom is in M-D-YY format.

I don't think there's any question that the onboard culture is designed for Americans. (Keep your eye out in particular for Panamanian, Bahamian, and Bermudian passengers so you can ask them don't they just feel right at home on a cruise ship :D)

That said, the onboard culture is not American. It's a bizarro world constructed by the cruise line, with the cruise line's customs and rules. Overall, it seems familiar to Americans, but lots of little things, like an auto-tip on all bar orders, are not part of American culture, and these things are surprising to Americans, too, the first time they take a cruise. But they quickly get over it, because they are very good at understanding and adapting to the world around them :)

For US tax purposes and SEC filings it is 7665 Corporate Center Drive, Miami, FL 33126. Also, they trade on a US stock exchange.

That noted, they operate all over the world, have their ships built outside the US, employee few Americans, and pay their taxes to other countries.

Most US-based cruise lines operate under Section 883 of the US tax code that allows a tax exemption for foreign flagged vessels, but NCL pays corporate income tax to the US on it's profit from the POA. I believe that is the only sea-faring passenger cruise ship that is US flagged.

It also pays income taxes to the UK for some portion of it's profit, and other various governmental agencies (at least it did in 2014). They also pay payroll taxes for their US based employees who work on shore. In 2014 the total taxes paid were about $2,267,000. All of this is in the 10-K filed with the SEC.