Bug Spray

It depends on the time of year you are there. during the winter months, the mosquitos are somewhat less active, but still present. I would always take repellant with me if you are one of those, like my wife, who it seems will be bitten by the only mosquito within a thousand miles anywhere she goes! To lighten our load, we take the Deep Woods Off wipes with us. They are like individually packaged wet wipes, but with DEET repellant on them. Found them at Walgreen's.

Edited by OKC Cruisers

I believe Zika is on St Thomas. I plan on bringing repellant. While I am not as concerned about Zika impact on me... don't want US mosquitos spreading it from me to others. I have a relative who is pregnant. My thought was to use it if I go on excursions... eg St Kitts trip into countryside. Not sure it would be needed on the ship. As I understand it the mosquitos dont travel around much... I figure that if I have it with me I can decide later if I need it.

Used the wipes in individual packages years ago on a Panama Canal cruise. Liked them so much that I have used them ever since, both at home and cruises. Small, individual and easy to carry, even in your pocket, if you don't have a bag with you. You don't even need to take a full box with you. I cruised earlier this year and just took 4-5 for shore excursions - no weight to pack.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Only you know what excursions you are doing and the age of the cruisers in your traveling party. Zika is a real threat. I would not eliminate a bug spray if anyone in your party plans on having a child in the future. If you can't find the wipes or don't have the ability to pick up bug spray once you get to port, I would make room for a small can of spray. Personally, it is not worth risking life long birth defects, I would rather leave a pair of shoes home if there was anything I could do to protect my family from Zika.

I have used Bounce dryer sheets! Yes it sounds crazy but it works better than Off bug spray IMHO. Just rub exposed skin with a dryer sheet and then keep the dryer sheet in your pocket or shoes. You can line them between your clothes when packing and it keeps them smelling fresh without taking up extra room in your luggage. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

We take the Deep Woods Off wipes with us. They are like individually packaged wet wipes, but with DEET repellant on them. Found them at Walgreen's.

That's awesome, I will look for those. And Consumer Reports says Off! Deepwoods is one of the three top rated repellants for the Aedes mosquito, which is the variety that carries Zika. (for anyone interested, the other two they recommend are Sawyer Picaridin and Natrapel 8 Hour)

Edited by Geeocacher

I believe Zika is on St Thomas. I plan on bringing repellant. While I am not as concerned about Zika impact on me... don't want US mosquitos spreading it from me to others. I have a relative who is pregnant. My thought was to use it if I go on excursions... eg St Kitts trip into countryside. Not sure it would be needed on the ship. As I understand it the mosquitos dont travel around much... I figure that if I have it with me I can decide later if I need it.

It doesn't work like that. If you get Zika the only way you can pass it on is through sex. US mosquitos can't bite you and then bite somebody else and pass it on.

It depends on the time of year you are there. during the winter months, the mosquitos are somewhat less active, but still present. I would always take repellant with me if you are one of those, like my wife, who it seems will be bitten by the only mosquito within a thousand miles anywhere she goes! To lighten our load, we take the Deep Woods Off wipes with us. They are like individually packaged wet wipes, but with DEET repellant on them. Found them at Walgreen's.

How often do you have to apply? The picture of the box that I found online didn't say how often you would need to reapply. I rarely get bitten by mosquitoes, so I don't use bug repellant (and therefore, have no clue how often one would normally reapply repellant), but want to take precautions for this trip. The Deep Woods Off wipes look perfect though!

It doesn't work like that. If you get Zika the only way you can pass it on is through sex. US mosquitos can't bite you and then bite somebody else and pass it on.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or something, but this is EXACTLY how it is spread.

Quote from CDC website:

Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites.

How often do you have to apply? The picture of the box that I found online didn't say how often you would need to reapply. I rarely get bitten by mosquitoes, so I don't use bug repellant (and therefore, have no clue how often one would normally reapply repellant), but want to take precautions for this trip. The Deep Woods Off wipes look perfect though!

I posted earlier in this thread see 4.

I always have a couple in my purse. Good for Wisconsin buggy evenings! I just checked and the individual one just said to apply carefully, covering exposed skin, but did not say how long the application lasted. It did say no need to re-apply. I no longer have the box, so I don't know if there are more detailed instructions enclosed.

They really work well and are so much easier to carry than a can. I believe there are specific instructions about applying sunscreen. Don't remember which goes first but would recommend checking that out on line regardless of whether you use wipes or spray.

Seriously? If you are exposed to Zika virus while traveling, the CDC recommendation is to continue using mosquito repellant for 2 weeks after you return home to prevent US mosquitos from biting you and transmitting the virus to others.

I posted earlier in this thread see 4.

I always have a couple in my purse. Good for Wisconsin buggy evenings! I just checked and the individual one just said to apply carefully, covering exposed skin, but did not say how long the application lasted. It did say no need to re-apply. I no longer have the box, so I don't know if there are more detailed instructions enclosed.

They really work well and are so much easier to carry than a can. I believe there are specific instructions about applying sunscreen. Don't remember which goes first but would recommend checking that out on line regardless of whether you use wipes or spray.

Thanks! I will have to look up what the CDC recommends about sunscreen and bug repellant as I will use both in port. Good news that it seems like there is no need to reapply. I can get the 12-pack, if my math is correct for 2 people and 3 ports (and FLL as their mosquitos are mean).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We do the same thing. No bulky can and no spray on you everywhere but where you intended! ;) Packets are so much easier.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or something, but this is EXACTLY how it is spread.

Quote from CDC website:

Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites.

Wow! Thank you for clarifying this. This was not the same info that circulated when Zika first started being a problem but clearly they have updated with more info. I was wrong.