TSA Luggage Locks

UK Cruiser2

You should always LOCK bags that are not in your possession! You do NOT need TSA locks...we use keyed master locks for luggage.

Yes...use your locks!!!!!

OK here thanks. Here in UK we heard that all luggage must be left unlocked on USA domestic flights.

I would check with my local authorities for specific policies with regard to locked or unlocked luggage. I have been flying domestic and international round trip including the UK and always use TSA approved locks and always have my luggage locked.

Your TSA locks will be fine for travel here in the USA and the best option if you want your bags locked. If you use some other lock, and they want to search the luggage, they will just cut it off.

At least with the TSA locks, if they open it with their key, the combination lock still works.

Your TSA locks will be fine for travel here in the USA and the best option if you want your bags locked. If you use some other lock, and they want to search the luggage, they will just cut it off.

At least with the TSA locks, if they open it with their key, the combination lock still works.

This is the way it is suppose to work..about a third of the time my locked TSA locks "disappear" from my luggage by the end of the flight, but nothing has been taken and TSA leaves me a note in my bag saying they have searched my luggage. Where the locks go, I have no idea, but I have learned that anything that looks electronic, even just an extension cord, may result in a bag search.

Edited by janetcbl

Eagle_and_hawk Your TSA locks will be fine for travel here in the USA and the best option if you want your bags locked. If you use some other lock, and they want to search the luggage, they will just cut it off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely correct & IF TSA opens your TSA Locks for inspection (they) will leave a note inside noting the inspection. Otherwise - your regular key or combination luggage locks WILL be cut. Never travel with un-locked luggage. In fact not only do we use TSA approved locks we also use TSA approved combination luggage straps for more security and to deter luggage handlers.

So here is our contrarian review. TSA locks are essentially worthless! TSA can open them, and so can any thief. Also, as recently shown on a consumer program...the zippers on luggage (this would not apply to those without zippers) can easily be split open (in less then 1 second) to get into a bag.

Since we travel a lot (about 6-7 months a year) we have adopted a different philosophy (used by many frequent travelers). 1. Do not buy expensive luggage! It simply says, "I have money and there my be valuable goodies inside." And even expensive luggage gets quickly damaged by airlines, cruise lines, etc. 2. We usually lock our luggage zippers with simple zip ties (they cost very little). This keeps the zippers from being pulled apart and tells us if anyone has been inside (unlike a lock that can be unlocked and relocked). 3. We try to avoid putting any valuables in checked luggage!

So my question to those who use TSA locks (or any lock) is why? What do you think those locks accomplish? Anyone (including all thieves) can easily buy a TSA master key (you can buy them online for less then $12). Here is an interesting article about TSA locks.

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/17/tsa-doesnt-really-care-luggage-locks-hacked/

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm a fan of cable ties - I pick up an assortment of mini's in various colors and use them to secure the major zippers on our cases. I once used the TSA approved locks, and found a few items missing and NO note inside. This was not discovered until I reached my final destination, thus no recourse at the airport. So now with the neon/hot pink/pumpkin orange ties, if one is broken, I know the luggage has been opened. With about a half dozen flights each yea, for the past ten years, no problem with the brightly colored ties.

Darcy

TSA locks are essentially worthless!

We gave up on TSA locks and have zip tied them for several years now.

Yes, and yes. We "lost" so many TSA locks that I can't even count. I thought the whole point was so that the TSA folks could unlock the lock, open your suitcase, and then lock it back up again. Without exception, the last four times that we used TSA locks, the TSA folks omitted that important third step. That, plus the fact that keys are easy to obtain by thieves caused us to give up. We now pack more carefully and throw caution to the wind. I don't put anything in the belly of the plane that I cannot re-purchase at my destination if it were to get lost or stolen in transit.

the zipper ont he luggage is the fail point. if someone wants to steal something they just pop the zipper. i only ever used locks to keep my bag closed. i've seen one too many bags open on the tarmac or the luggage carousel.

i've switched to zipties as well, last time i used a tsa lock, the tsa opened it and ruined the lock by not closing back the side of the lock that opened for them.

as for opening zipies, my luggage has an outer pocket, i put a large nail clippper in the pocket.

if someone wants to steal my knickers, they can, there is nothing else in there aside from clothing and makeup for them to want.

Just from my experience this wasn't always true. Every trip I have taken we have had TSA locks, every trip those bags were searched and my locks were removed and never returned. My luggage was not locked back and they kept my lock. After several locks going missing and lots of money spent, I quit locking my bags. I also have only ever had my bags searched when the locks were on them. No notices left of searched bags when they weren't locked.

We fly 6-8 times a year- USA and Mexico- we have good quality inexpensive rolling duffles that have seen better days, we use zip ties to keep the handles together ( the Velcro will not hold up to airline baggage handlers slinging them around ) - we do not pack anything that can not be replaced easily- we use TSA locks, to hold the zippers closed, and so far have the same locks and nothing stollen- probably since we don't have anything in them that someone would want.

You can lock or not lock your luggage when traveling in the USA. I personally only put clothes in my checked bags and don't have locks on any of my luggage. Locks and bags are easy to break into so it doesn't really matter, just put your valuables in your carry on.

It is easy for TSA agents to open TSA locks and open zip ties. I use TSA locks exclusively on every piece of luggage I check. I have watched on YouTube the pen in the zipper trick. Quite easy should I, or anyone ever get locked out. Easy peasy.

With all that said, I use TSA combination locks. I do so simply as a latch to keep the bags closed. It is by far the easiest method to keep the luggage sealed from accidental openings. If TSA wants in, nothing I do will stop that. For me it is not about money or security, it is simply a matter of convince. Every piece of luggage shares the same combination. It is there only to stop the baggage equipment for hooking the zipper and opening the bag inadvertently. For everything else, there is insurance.

Edited by masterty

Suppose if the combination type locks that are part of the piece of luggage are locked and are cut open by TSA the lock is then damaged and therefore so is the piece of luggage. If the lock is a separate item to the bag then its no hardship really.

Just from my experience this wasn't always true. Every trip I have taken we have had TSA locks, every trip those bags were searched and my locks were removed and never returned. My luggage was not locked back and they kept my lock. After several locks going missing and lots of money spent, I quit locking my bags. I also have only ever had my bags searched when the locks were on them. No notices left of searched bags when they weren't locked.

We just came back from a domestic flight and our bags had TSA locks. I found a note from TSA that they opened my bags and YES, they also broke the zipper lock clean off. BTW it was a new suitcase and the first time I had used it.

Helen

After losing one lock years ago on flight to Vegas and finding the contents in our luggage in disarray, we decided to never lock or zip tie our luggage again. We have traveled extensively since and never had an unlocked bag examined, stolen or with broken zippers. We never pack anything in checked luggage but clothes and shoes. If thieves can fit in them, then we'll buy new. Nothing of any value is in our checked luggage.

A locked and zip tied suitcase speaks out to TSA "check me". ;)

Flying UK - LA then LA - Vegas.Then back to LA to join Crown.

Do we need to leave our luggage unlocked on USA domestic flights,we have TSA combination locks on the luggage.

NO !!!!! Lock your luggage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!