Possible Storm Trouble Headed For Miami-Some Tips and Info

There is a weather disturbance with a 60 percent chance of cyclonic formation by Sunday, headed directly, according to models, for the coast of Florida. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

Plan accordingly. This means be flexible, alert, prepared to accept changes.

FYI-there is no compensation, aside from refunds for excursions for cancelled or shifted itineraries, unless the actual cruise is cut short. Then you usually get a discount or future credit towards another cruise, but each line varies.

However if you do nothing but sail around water for seven days, expect to receive only your port fees and excursions refunded because the lines cannot control the weather. This is explicitly stated in your cruise contract. Rather, I would advise to be focused on safe travel arrangements and/or any work schedule concerns delays may create.

For newbies or non-coastal northerners-hurricanes are no joke. You will lose all concern for excursions if you find yourself stuck in one. The travel insurance that we have examined, Berkeley Care I believe, specifically states that if your destination, or route to, is under a severe weather warning, such as flood, ice, or tropical, you are entitled to a refund of the purchased fare if you decide to cancel.

Meaning-if the cruise line declines to cancel the cruise for storm related reasons BEFORE you depart for your trip, but before you depart from your trip the National Weather Service issues a warning, contact your insurer for details about your rights if you decide to cancel. Do not assume the above policy, I only included this information so that you could investigate the possibility, as I would gather each insurer is different. Assume nothing. Protect yourself.

If you did not purchase insurance, what were you thinking? AGTI.

Always Get the Insurance.

Not sometimes.

Always.

Safe travels and happy cruising,

-T

Edited by Cruiseathoning

I have been on quite a few cruises and never used to buy insurance(I won't need it). Yeah right, well it happened and from then on I always purchase travel insurance. Read the policy very carefully before you purchase. Not all are the same.

My advise: Never leave home without it!

Allure on Sunday, we fly on Saturday. So long as we are on the ship all is good. Eastern itinerary might change.

I might just have to cancel flow riding for Sunday night if the storm doesn't change paths. :eek:

Edited by A&L_Ont

Allure on Sunday, we fly on Saturday. So long as we are on the ship all is good. Eastern itinerary might change.

I might just have to cancel flow riding for Sunday night if the storm doesn't change paths. :eek:

Andrew, keep a lookout for Freedom we're scheduled western. 😁

I was going to go on Enchantment this weekend but we're not going with this storm going on. I've gotten terribly seasick on this ship before and with a 3 day cruise it's hard to get out of the way of this big storm. The good news is that the price dropped to 198 for inside cabins so if anyone doesn't mind the weather you've got a great deal. :D.

By the way, there has been a heavy rainstorm this week almost every year. I know because it's DH's birthday and so we only make last minute plans.... Oh, well, at least I took the weekend off and can relax instead of working.

Edited by royalcruz

My credit card: chase sapphire preferred gives me travel insurance, so no need to actually purchase it. Definitely worth looking into if you don't have a card that gives it to you automatically if you purchase the vacation on the card.

We are in the same boat (literally). Fly into FLL on Saturday night for Allure Sunday. So long as we can land in FLL and the ship is there Sunday morning, I'm fine with where ever they send us.

We are in the same boat (literally). Fly into FLL on Saturday night for Allure Sunday. So long as we can land in FLL and the ship is there Sunday morning, I'm fine with where ever they send us.

We are flying in Sunday morning, so even more nervous than you!!

I would be glad your flight is Sunday. There is either going to be a cruise or there is not, and by Sunday it looks like they will know if a storm is coming that day.

Fly in any earlier you might leave yourself stuck in a city with no power during a hurricane. At least now, you know Saturday night most likely what the score is, and can hop a plane to Vegas or something if it is cancelled.

Edited by Cruiseathoning

Or...you completely miss your cruise because the city you are flying in from has a delay due to any number of reasons (weather, mechanical etc...). It is NEVER a good idea to fly in the day of a cruise for this reason alone. Nevermind the potential tropical storm/hurricane threat.

Just my 2 cents.

class ship, to the cruise, than risk being involved with a hurricane. Flights can get delayed, this is true, and cruises can be missed, but use the insurance if it is a common carrier problem.

There is no cruise on this planet I would risk flying into a hurricane for, none.

Now in general, I broadly agree with your argument about getting in a day early, but now that there is this risk, I would be glad to have my flight booked when I do.

FYI-there is no compensation, aside from refunds for excursions for cancelled or shifted itineraries, unless the actual cruise is cut short. Then you usually get a discount or future credit towards another cruise, but each line varies.

However if you do nothing but sail around water for seven days, expect to receive only your port fees and excursions refunded because the lines cannot control the weather. This is explicitly stated in your cruise contract.

True. Strictly speaking, the only kind of refunds that can legally be expected in the event that the ship doesn't call at a port, are ship's excursions (not privately arranged ones) and port fees.

But having said that, RCI is often more lenient. For example, DW and I were on a cruise with Rhapsody around six months ago, from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. We were first marooned for around six hours at the dock in Ushuaia, Argentina, due to high winds that prevented the ship from safely leaving; secondly, due to the winds we missed Cape Horn (an item on many a bucket list); thirdly we missed Puerto Madryn (when the ship was only about a mile from the dock, the authorities closed the port due to inclement weather); and finally, due to the gales we were unable to tender off Punta del Este, Uruguay. But RCI chartered a caravan of buses that brought us from Montevideo for a half day free tour to Punta de Este, something that strictly speaking, would not have been legally required. In addition, before the end of the cruise we were all, as a gesture of goodwill, provided with a Future Cruise Certificate worth 15% of the cruise fare paid for the Rhapsody cruise; again not strictly required, but nevertheless much appreciated.

This is a really good weather website to view if you want a thorough explanation of current tropical systems. Levi really explains the tropical systems currently being watched, and shows how they could affect us here in Florida (click on the arrow to start):

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

If I'm worried about a port itinerary change I also like to look at this "Storm Carib" site - it has locals on different islands reporting what tropical conditions they are currently experiencing, with damage reports if they get hit:

http://stormcarib.com/