Walking up/down donkey path Santorini

sandycruzr

My sister is terrified of heights and refuses to take the cable car...she plans on walking up and down the donkey path. Has anyone out there walked both ways on the donkey path. Is this realistic ? We booked a tour thru Gold street and we need to meet them in Fira... I'm concerned that my sister may not make it to the top!

Any replies would be greatly appreciated

We walked down it.

It was an experience. I think we all slipped over at least once, and when you meet some donkeys coming the other way then it can be quite unnerving (they are all led back up in groups).

The smell is also quite stong, especially at the bottom.

A little while after we were there we read a news story about someone being killed whilst walking it. I can't remember the details but i think it had something to do with meeting the donkeys.

Having said that, it was quite fun and I would do it again. There were others doing it too. I'm not sure my wife agrees with me though.

We didn't walk up, but I imagine that would be easier (although obviously more tiring) as the donkeys will not be in packs and you are less likely to slip.

I know it doesn't help someone who is scared of heights, but I'd say the cable car is significantly safer. My guess is that there are quite a lot of minor injuries (twisted ankles and bruises for example) on the path.

We walked up. There was plenty of donkey poo, but possible to avoid most of it, and not slippery going up. There are more than 600 steps, so it takes a little while. Take water and a hat, and take your time. It was pretty easy to stay out of the donkeys' way - there were some going up, and others returning down for the next trip.

We found walking down pretty easy. The path is wide, with a wall waist-high or higher, and not too steep. Late in the day there are few donkeys, if any. By then the donkey poo from the morning has dried, very easy to avoid though sometimes the wind picks it up as dust. Some parts are slippery, not because of donkey-poo but because some slabs are smooth & shiny - again, easy to avoid if you keep your eyes open, but always best to have a hand on the wall to steady yourself. And hold on to someone who is soft to land on :D.

I've no idea what it's like in wet weather, but I'm guessing it'd be very slippery.

The walk down takes about 25 minutes.

Quite a few folk walk down to avoid the often-long lines for the cable-car, only a few walk up.

And walking up is surely pretty tiring, something I'd try hard to avoid.

How terrified is your sis at a height of about 5 foot?

That's the height of a donkey's (actually they're mules) back. ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

we walked down the path.

reasons...the cable car queue was getting too long and also, it was a memorable and fragrant reminder of Santorini!

it can be slippery because the stone path has had millions of people walking on it.

the donkey poo can be avoided by literally watching where you step.

at times, the donkeys are right next to you so we needed to push them away from us (hope your sister and you are OK with that).

wear good shoes....not sandals.

we'll always remember that path.

Perhaps reconsider the cable car? I've done it. It is really not that high off the ground, and the total transit time from start to finish is about 1-2 minutes. It's not like some of the mountainous cable cars that go over big ravines or huge valleys at extreme heights. By cable car standards, it's very mild. Just a suggestion.....

How about riding the donkey? It was actually kind of fun, and I never felt unsafe. These donkeys know the path, although they do it on their own terms, sometimes just stopping along the way to graze or for no reason at all. It took about 25 minutes. We definitely saw people walking both directions while we were on our donkey ride. We took the cable car down, which was quick. The line was pretty long when we got in it, but it moved fairly reasonably.

I walked it both ways late April.No smells But very few donkeys/walkers. One lady on donkey which kept stopping. I beat them up.Whatever way you go up a tour is unnecessary and probably overpriced too.

There are many tapes on line of the cable car ride. She should watch them. You are not very high and the actual ride takes 2 min 35 sec. I know, I timed it. If she wants she can sit facing the hill and see virtually no height.

I so appreciate all of the great replies from my fellow cruisers!

The photo was very helpful and the suggestion to watch a video was priceless!

Thank you all once again:)

After watching the video I think she may take the cable car up and walk down and I plan on giving her a BIG glass of wine at the top :):):)

Was it really necessary to beat them up just because the donkey kept stopping? Seems a little cruel... :D

Ha! I had the same thought. Poor donkey :)

OP: We've done the walk both ways on several occasions. We think it's kind of fun but you do have to watch wear you walk because of the donkey poop (wear good walking shoes with closed toes!). If you are walking down you will be able to see the donkeys coming and generally you can just step to the side and they will go right past you. And there are fewer of them late in the day.

Either way have a great day. I love Santorini!

To the OP, I too am terrified of heights and never ride cable cars or gondolas. But, my husband really didn't want me on that donkey path either. So, the cable car it was. Much to my relief, there were seats facing both forward (looking out at the sea and approaching ground!) and backward, so you were only seeing the receding landscape of Santorini. I was able to snag a backward-facing seat and that made the short ride down immensely less frightening for me. :)

Becki

I am really looking forward to Santorini. I just hope my sister will be OK. Last year she was terrified at the Amalfi Coast. I think we all the great helpful suggestions on CC she should be fine. Thanks again:)

To the OP, I too am terrified of heights and never ride cable cars or gondolas. But, my husband really didn't want me on that donkey path either. So, the cable car it was. Much to my relief, there were seats facing both forward (looking out at the sea and approaching ground!) and backward, so you were only seeing the receding landscape of Santorini. I was able to snag a backward-facing seat and that made the short ride down immensely less frightening for me. :)

Becki

To avoid walking up, you could ask is your guide could meet you in Oia as there are boats directly to Oiia near where the tender leaves you; however, since we did not do it, I do not know if it is a long walk up from where the boat docks to Oia.

You would still need to get back to the tender from Fira. Those people I met that walked down regretted doing so. Would your sister consider taking the cable car if she rides backwards so she would not see where you are going?

After much back and forth, our driver from Gold Street in meeting us in Oia. We are taking the ferry there and he will pick us up near the bus square, later in the day he will drop us off in Fira and we are hoping to take the cable car back down with my sister riding backwards. If she refuses..well the donkey path is plan B. Thanks for your help!

To avoid walking up, you could ask is your guide could meet you in Oia as there are boats directly to Oiia near where the tender leaves you; however, since we did not do it, I do not know if it is a long walk up from where the boat docks to Oia.

You would still need to get back to the tender from Fira. Those people I met that walked down regretted doing so. Would your sister consider taking the cable car if she rides backwards so she would not see where you are going?