Cunard Sydney OPT later departure.

I am joining QM2 which is scheduled to depart the OPT at 11:30 pm.

If embarking about noon, will you be allowed to go off the ship again for the afternoon / evening ?

Thanks.

Possibly, in the past you could with some cruise lines but then the policy was being enforced (after the December 2014 incident) and you couldn't get off again. Those doing a B2B would certainly be able to come and go. It would be best to check with Cunard.

Pretty sure it's the Port Authorities who make the call, not Cunard ask before you board, if the answer is no, drop your bags, and board late.

Cunard would/should know if they are allowing it or not though, but yeah, you could leave it until you get to the OPT.

Edited by MicCanberra

If embarking about noon, will you be allowed to go off the ship again for the afternoon / evening ?

Thanks.

We did a BTB a couple of years ago and were originally told by Princess that we could come and go as we pleased, but Port authorities said no, once we were back on the ship that was it.

Trish

We did a BTB a couple of years ago and were originally told by Princess that we could come and go as we pleased, but Port authorities said no, once we were back on the ship that was it.

Trish

It is not a cruise line or Port Authority rule but an Australian Customs rule that guests are not allowed off the ship once they have joined that ship at that port. B2B guests are "normally" required to leave the ship and then rejoin once they have a zero count and transit pax are still permited to get off of course. This has always been the rule but in the past ( pre Dec 2014) as a courtesy to guests, Customs would " turn a blind eye" and allow pax off but but unfortunately this can no longer happen.

When we went on the Queen Mary 2 in March 2016 from Sydney, once we had boarded we where able to come and go as we please.

I went off a few times to get photos of the ship and to get a few things.

Interesting.........Did you sail that day or the next??

When we boarded Aurora in Sydney earlier this year, it wasn't departing until the next evening and we were able to come and go as we pleased.

WE were on radiance last April and we were not allowed off once on

It is not a cruise line or Port Authority rule but an Australian Customs rule that guests are not allowed off the ship once they have joined that ship at that port. B2B guests are "normally" required to leave the ship and then rejoin once they have a zero count and transit pax are still permited to get off of course. This has always been the rule but in the past ( pre Dec 2014) as a courtesy to guests, Customs would " turn a blind eye" and allow pax off but but unfortunately this can no longer happen.

Thanks for clarifying the situation Graham.:D

When we went on the Queen Mary 2 in March 2016 from Sydney, once we had boarded we where able to come and go as we please.

I went off a few times to get photos of the ship and to get a few things.

When we boarded Aurora in Sydney earlier this year, it wasn't departing until the next evening and we were able to come and go as we pleased.

I would think the rules would be different if the ship is staying overnight and not leaving until the next day, just as the B2B people would be treated.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I will check the procedure before boarding.

Certainly would prefer to have the flexibility to come and go.

I guess it just seems a bit odd to me that transit passengers can and embarking passengers cannot.

Especially for an 11pm departure.

Thanks again.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

Thanks.

Are you on the 2 March 2017 sailing from Sydney? As we are? I would think embarking pax would be allowed off the ship before sailing @11.30pm. In 2012, we embarked on Arcadia (P&O UK) in the afternoon, she did not sail until midnight but we got off early evening to have dinner in the city.

Don't forget most of the pax on board QM2 will be Brits doing the world cruise, they want to see Sydney.

Might have to contact Cunard myself early next year re clarification.

Edited by NSWP

Are you on the 2 March 2016 sailing from Sydney? As we are? I would think embarking pax would be allowed off the ship before sailing @11.30pm. In 2012, we embarked on Arcadia (P&O UK) in the afternoon, she did not sail until midnight but we got off early evening to have dinner in the city.

Don't forget most of the pax on board QM2 will be Brits doing the world cruise, they want to see Sydney.

Thats how I see it.. Once you have boarded you will become a passenger in transit.

I think they stop the locals from skipping ashore on turnaround days as they can be very busy .

Are you on the 2 March 2017 sailing from Sydney? As we are?

Yes...sort of.

Actually it is 'she who must be obeyed' onboard.

I'm just asking the question on her behalf.

She picked up the same deal as you did in the same type of cabin.

Yes...sort of.

Actually it is 'she who must be obeyed' onboard.

I'm just asking the question on her behalf.

She picked up the same deal as you did in the same type of cabin.

Oh dear, mate don't let them cruise on their own, she might meet a POM Billionaire on his world cruise. LOL.