On Riviera.Want my opinion on speciality restaurants?

janecambridge

Pet nit noy.....thank you for your suggestions.I did have the sauce on the side as I doubted his knowledge.So my steak was fine.

A decent waiter should not take anything to a table without checking it first,making sure it is what the diner ordered and has all components of the dish...

Paulchili...yes,strange that the restaurants exceeded our expectations.I must not judge too hastily..

Just wondered if anyone wanted my opinion on the speciality restaurants as we use them? Have done Red Ginger and Polo Grill and about to try Jacques.I realise it is my individual opinion but there will be a few facts thrown in too!!

I think we are getting off the track here. I answered the question that was posted and did not say not to post her opinion, just that I do not want it in this case I am sure other people do want to read it and that is fine. Many of the posts on cruise critic help us a lot but just not this time. Not trying to offend anyone.

For RJB: why are you even on this board if you know all there is to know? After 50 plus cruises and being blessed to have travelled the world, I always enjoy reading and learning. Perhaps one who knows everything, knows nothing. My apologies for such a strong post but your post struck a nerve. When I read these boards, I intake the posts of my fellow cruise critics and then form a summary of good, bad and ugly. Each post has some information which may be valuable. Perhaps we (self included) are giving you too much attention ( which is may be what you want). Be blessed you too have travelled so much. I wish you well in your life but maybe be a little more humble. All the best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jane I would have spoken to the Maitre'd in Polo about your experience there

You can ask to speak with the GM & let him know of you displeasure with the meal

If you are suppose to get 3 oysters then you should get 3

We have had bad experiences in the specialties but let them know so it can be corrected

I think we are getting off the track here. I answered the question that was posted and did not say not to post her opinion, just that I do not want it in this case I am sure other people do want to read it and that is fine. Many of the posts on cruise critic help us a lot but just not this time. Not trying to offend anyone.

most people would just move on & not be so rude

Ok you are now on ignore :rolleyes:

... I do not want it ..... help US a lot .......

Interesting that you've chosen to speak for all of us yet insist you're simply stating your own opinion. I'm with the majority here - I find this thread (and this site) helpful. Yes, there are many threads and posts that are trite and useless but those are easy to ignore. Like anything else on the internet, expect lots of useless information. However, once you learn to be discerning in what you read you can easily read what you want and ignore what you find useless.

To the OP, please keep posting. Even though I've been on both classes of O ships and eaten in all the restaurants, I continue to seek new views and opinions. I understand that your posts are your opinions and will not necessarily match mine but they still help to inform. Also, some of us (including me) are not necessarily as experienced in fine dining (and other aspects of cruising in general) as others so, at least in my case, when offered the chance to hear from those who are I relish the opportunity to learn.

Cheers,

Gogie

Jane I would have spoken to the Maitre'd in Polo about your experience there

You can ask to speak with the GM & let him know of you displeasure with the meal

If you are suppose to get 3 oysters then you should get 3

We have had bad experiences in the specialties but let them know so it can be corrected

Hi.We did speak to the maitre de.He was very nice and offered to make good,but because we have only a week on board,we thanked him and declined.Simply because we have in suite dining to do tonight( Red Ginger menu), main dining room and Terrace one evening.

Thank you all for your kind responses.It is amazing that this thread can already point out some important,valid information on what to do if you are unhappy in a restaurant.

P.S.I did forget to say that after dinner in Jacques we had a small plate of strange coloured chewy buns! Not ususal for after dinner, especially in a french restaurant.Usually little chocolates or candied ginger!:)

I have only done one Oceania cruise and going back this winter. my least favorite meal was in Polo. it was on the then new Marina. my favorite was Red Ginger. can not remember why i was not happy but not due to lack of finger bowl. I only get them with lobster.

Third night,third restaurant.

Jacques.

Once we looked at the menu during the day,we decided we couldn't see much we wanted,so asked to cancel and book Toscana.That was impossible at the last minute.

Arrived in Jacques to an extremely warm welcome,from everyone.Attentive and smiling.Lovely table for two,again next to window..

Bread and rolls, very fresh.I had a very good cheese soufflé and hubby had a small version of a mains dish,yes prawns,with extra garlic.That was not a problem to order.Both really nice.Mains were iberico pork chop with an amazingly tasting seasoning.served with dauphinois Potaoes.A freshly grilled Apple on the side and a mustard sauce.Hubby had the lamb,served as he ordered,medium,and a cauliflower cheese side.All delicious...I had Mille feuille,but way too much thick pastry..hubby had cheese from the cheese trolley.The sommelier was very busy and seemed to have too many tables,that was the only downfall.

We loved our meal here and the staff,which were plentiful.A very good restaurant experience for us.

The last restaurant is a few days away now so will report back then.

I realise there will be some people who don't want to read more reviews of the ship,but the thread header,gives clue as to what it is about and therefore they can skip this thread.I know I have learnt so much from these threads before I came on my first Oceania cruise.I hope this is of help to those who are about to embark on their first Oceania cruise.

I'm glad that you were not able to cancel your reservation in Jacques and enjoyed most of what you had there. While we are not French food lovers, Jacques was our favorite dining venue on the ship. For us, Polo is hit and miss but still enjoyable. Anxiously awaiting your review of Toscana.

P.S.I did forget to say that after dinner in Jacques we had a small plate of strange coloured chewy buns! Not ususal for after dinner, especially in a french restaurant.Usually little chocolates or candied ginger!:)

The only colored "buns" I can think of are French macarons, the French word for macaroons. Macarons are hardly unusual. Definitely French and definitely an appropriate ending to a meal.

They're supposed to be the color of the flavoring inside so there's no need for them to be psychedelically colored. I've attached two photos of macarons to show you some traditionally colored examples and some intensely colored versions.

The word "chewy" is what has me stumped because they're not supposed to be chewy. They're supposed to be crisp froth, but who knows what sea air does to this product.

Let's start by finding out if these look like what you were served. They certainly appear to be "buns".

Macarons.jpg.d1567e3a43d29c038e60179406f9dc64.jpg

1874058610_Macarons2.jpg.5648e0d3e81be3745577ae7ec3395d97.jpg

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm with RJB. OP provided no context for their expertise or experience. What on land do they think is a great restaurant would be helpful to put things in perspective. Even just a preliminary paragraph about "...we normally find the food at ...... in NYC ... or SF.... to be ......" would help set the stage.

As decent as O's food is, I have to chuckle when I read someone's comment that "it was the best meal I've ever had."

Since its janes first O cruise its going to be entirely based on first impressions and emotion.... on an entirely subjective subject for which ranges all over the place... Nice thought .

Write only after reading the past 10 or so reviews and only id your experience is radicaly different gor or bad... and as a critic point to why and how it might be improved. Be a educated critic by recognizing the past history and how that in your experience seems to have changed

If you do write, no pictures your going to detract from the other diners as you snap away with every course. Many consider it the height of inconsiderate behavior to be taking pictures of your and your table mates food... Clearly there to impress your self or others...not focus on the experience of cuisine and the social interaction... Many top restaurants would throw a photo obsessed client out....

Too as suggested qualify your self as a critic list professional experience, courses taken, years of dining and what caliber if food do you eat at. Why you have gained insights in cuisin. Name say a half dozen restaurants you hold in esteem and how the O experience compares to all of these things

Hey its your first O cruise...slow down and enjoy it...there will only be one first time in your life....savor it with friends and discoveries...

in Jacques we had a small plate of strange coloured chewy buns! Not ususal for after dinner, especially in a french restaurant.Usually little chocolates or candied ginger!

They are called Pate' de Fruit and are often served in fine French restaurants as a final treat. My husband loves them!!

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=pate%20de%20fruit

I do not think we got those in Jacques

probably a good thing I hate jellied candy or even jello for that matter :eek:

Like you, I generally hate jellied candy, but pate de fruit from the kitchen of a fine French chef is the Rolls Royce of jellied fruit. Wonderful!

I took JaneCambridge's clue of bun-like appearance and ran through several types of buns. Nothing worked until I thought of good old American "hamburger bun" and the light went on. She was possibly served French Macarons.

We'll just have to wait for the OP to render an official verdict on our guesses.

Like you, I generally hate jellied candy, but pate de fruit from the kitchen of a fine French chef is the Rolls Royce of jellied fruit. Wonderful!

I took JaneCambridge's clue of bun-like appearance and ran through several types of buns. Nothing worked until I thought of good old American "hamburger bun" and the light went on. She was possibly served French Macarons.

We'll just have to wait for the OP to render an official verdict on our guesses.

That is why photos are good :D

I had one of the jellied things in POLO one year YUCK ..it is the consistency that is unappealing to me like tapioca ;)

Funny coincidence, I just watched a PBS show on Swiss rail travel shortly after reading you previous message. The host went into a Geneva bakery...guess what they showed in a short scene... those pastel macarons in your first picture.:)

Edited by buggins0402

Chewy buns does sound like macaroons, which are gorgeous- crisp yet meltingly chewy with some sort of cream sandwiching the two halves. Had a perfect one at afternoon tea at the Ritz in London yesterday (a wedding anniversary treat from friends). Hard to understand how 'pates de fruits' could be described as buns - they are jellies. Proper ones are delicious with very concentrated fruit flavours.

We'll be on Oceania for the first time at the end of October (Barcelona to Rome on Riviera) so it's interesting to hear what people thought of the restaurants. We need to decide which one to book for our wedding anniversary on our last night (1st November).

Ha ha .How I am smiling on this very early morning as we sail into Montenegro.I love macaroons and they were not macaroons.Paul is correct,thanks,Madeleine's.green,blue and orange.We have them in the lounge too.Very dry and no flavour.

I was thinking last night about Polo Grill and I think my feelings were that there was no love or passion for the food by the kitchen.As I said,the steak was great but the rest just 'happened' to be there.Whereas in Jacques and Red Ginger,someone obviously loved the food they prepared and took pride in it..

I find it difficult to take a large camera or iPad into dinner,so do not take photos of the food.Sorry folks....

Being a serial complainer in restaurants I find that the posts regarding the food in the speciality restaurants on Oceania are nit picky, overall the experience on O ships is 5 star !!

The only thing I had an issue with on my cruise last week was they have changed the shape of the Rhum barba from round with fruit to a square piece of cake must be a cost saving who says O aren't cutting back.

This was my favourite dessert in Jacques but this is what I mean by Nit Picky, over all the restaurants on O keep a very high standard, and I cannot think of any shore based operation that can keep up with O's catering.

Ha ha .How I am smiling on this very early morning as we sail into Montenegro.I love macaroons and they were not macaroons.Paul is correct,thanks,Madeleine's.green,blue and orange.We have them in the lounge too.Very dry and no flavour.

I am not fond of those either of course I am not a cake lover so that could be why :D

some of the other offerings are much better

I was thinking last night about Polo Grill and I think my feelings were that there was no love or passion for the food by the kitchen.As I said,the steak was great but the rest just 'happened' to be there.Whereas in Jacques and Red Ginger,someone obviously loved the food they prepared and took pride in it..

I find it difficult to take a large camera or iPad into dinner,so do not take photos of the food.Sorry folks....

Okay, we've got that mystery solved. Since you've identified the item you were served as a Madeleine, your clue apparently was intended to describe the texture rather than the appearance.

Madeleines in green, blue, and orange colors has me puzzled. I know Madeleines can have a ribbed surface to emphasize their shell-like shape or a plain surface. But color? Not so much. I guess the Riviera chefs decided to take a page from the presentation for French macarons and tint the batter according to the flavoring.

For anyone who has been following this mini-thread with any lingering confusion, I've linked photographs of three sweet nibbles: Madeleines, French macarons, and Coconut macaroons. (The last two share a name and little else in the way of taste or texture.)

Madeleines.jpg.5ee95968c3f68e717aabe6d9ec2ec17f.jpg

112092484_FrenchMacarons3.jpg.1944d39ceacbe033a5b102bbbb8a5cd6.jpg

877624752_CoconutMacaroons.jpg.06a0dddf3e7db28dd96772a07f2d7f6b.jpg

Edited by Pet Nit Noy