Check in Times

jeanlyon

You do like a good dig. When in reality it makes no difference as you have been told you can board at 13.00

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is a "good dig" because it shows incompetent P&O are when it states on their website that it would be sorted by early 2016 when it clearly hasnt. Being Elite on Princess we get preferential boarding and it states quiet clearly on their e-tickets so if they can do it why cant P&O. Any IT programmer could sort the problem out in a very short time but clearly P&O are not bothered.

It is a "good dig" because it shows incompetent P&O are when it states on their website that it would be sorted by early 2016 when it clearly hasnt. Being Elite on Princess we get preferential boarding and it states quiet clearly on their e-tickets so if they can do it why cant P&O. Any IT programmer could sort the problem out in a very short time but clearly P&O are not bothered.

The IT is carnivals not P&O. That is the same as Princess. Clearly not their priority.

The IT is carnivals not P&O. That is the same as Princess. Clearly not their priority.

So if that is correct how come on Princess as an Elite you do not get a boarding time on your e-ticket just PRIORITY BOARDING at the top and it states you can check-in anytime from 12-4. Much that you do not like criticism of P&O of any kind this problem could and should have been sorted by now and saved a lot of confusion for P&O cruisers.

We usually have C deck and get 3:30. Going on Azura in a couple of weeks and have booked E deck for this one. Got 1:30 check in so very excited to be able to check in early.

This may be an interesting development. Recently we were on Azura (C Deck); had a check in time of 3:30pm. I'm wondering if the embark times are another 'nudge' factor. My reasoning? If C Deck balconies are the most popular cabins in that range, a late embark time may 'nudge' passengers to book a different, less popular balcony cabin on future cruises? This way, P&O don't have the hassle of meddling with the pricing structure (already far too complicated IMO). I'm keen to hear what others think?

This may be an interesting development. Recently we were on Azura (C Deck); had a check in time of 3:30pm. I'm wondering if the embark times are another 'nudge' factor. My reasoning? If C Deck balconies are the most popular cabins in that range, a late embark time may 'nudge' passengers to book a different, less popular balcony cabin on future cruises? This way, P&O don't have the hassle of meddling with the pricing structure (already far too complicated IMO). I'm keen to hear what others think?

I don't think that P&O marketing are intelligent, or even sneaky, enough to have thought of this, but as a C deck lover it does annoy me.:(

There have been attempts to explain this in line with the cabins being ready, but since each deck has its own stewards all servicing the same number of cabins, then in theory they should all be ready around the same time; which is what happens on other lines that open up all cabins at the same time.:confused:

No I suspect that whichever committee dreamed up the new system also, randomly, went through each ship allocating a time to each deck or cabin type. They then realised they had coach passengers on different decks arriving all together so created a space around 2:00pm to allow them to embark as they arrived.:eek:

They then, presumably, awarded themselves a handsome pay rise for a job well done.:rolleyes:

I don't think that P&O marketing are intelligent, or even sneaky, enough to have thought of this, but as a C deck lover it does annoy me.:(

There have been attempts to explain this in line with the cabins being ready, but since each deck has its own stewards all servicing the same number of cabins, then in theory they should all be ready around the same time; which is what happens on other lines that open up all cabins at the same time.:confused:

No I suspect that whichever committee dreamed up the new system also, randomly, went through each ship allocating a time to each deck or cabin type. They then realised they had coach passengers on different decks arriving all together so created a space around 2:00pm to allow them to embark as they arrived.:eek:

They then, presumably, awarded themselves a handsome pay rise for a job well done.:rolleyes:

I'm fed up with reading how happy most people are with the new system. We are Caribbean Grade but have effectively lost that privilege as we cruise and travel to the port with another couple who are not Caribbean. We had an awful embark to Britannia in May and it spoilt the day but not the cruise which was really good. I wonder how many others have experienced the same thing, we played the game and arrived at 3PM for 3:30 to chaos, no seats, time slots running late, we got on at 4:15 and we weren't the last. No chance to eat, muster was imminent, so no time to unpack.

Most of the people who praise the new system are getting priority boarding and decry the old system which I think worked much better. P&O have managed to convince people that a system where you board later is better ??? Is having the cabin available that important ?

How they will manage with 5200+ people, god knows. We have always boarded with Princess and Celebrity with no problem and also did with P&O before the new system. I may be in a minority but I think that P&O have hoodwinked people over this and I feel that there must some financial benefit involved.

Edited by bee-ess

I'm fed up with reading how happy most people are with the new system. We are Caribbean Grade but have effectively lost that privilege as we cruise and travel to the port with another couple who are not Caribbean. We had an awful embark to Britannia in May and it spoilt the day but not the cruise which was really good. I wonder how many others have experienced the same thing, we played the game and arrived at 3PM for 3:30 to chaos, no seats, time slots running late, we got on at 4:15 and we weren't the last. No chance to eat, muster was imminent, so no time to unpack.

Most of the people who praise the new system are getting priority boarding and decry the old system which I think worked much better. P&O have managed to convince people that a system where you board later is better ??? Is having the cabin available that important ?

How they will manage with 5200+ people, god knows. We have always boarded with Princess and Celebrity with no problem and also did with P&O before the new system. I may be in a minority but I think that P&O have hoodwinked people over this and I feel that there must some financial benefit involved.

Unfortunately we had a similar experience to you last December. It was our first cruise, and it was shambolic. Got on board a long time after our late official boarding time. No welcome on board, no one to tell us where to go, where to find the lifts or cabin. just a photographer in a Santa suit. Muster was as soon as we found the cabin. No time to find our way around the ship. It was a bad start to what was otherwise a cruise we enjoyed. We are going back on Aurora this December and really really hope things have improved...

To be honest if I hadn't have done a lot of research beforehand on forums, and found and partially memorised the deck plans, we'd have been totally lost, confused and worried. Even so, it took us days to find some things out. I can fully understand why some new cruisers never go back to P&O or even cruising.

I've asked this question a number of times but never had a good answer. How does Celebrity manage to get people boarded without having to keep them in a lounge for a couple of hours ?

Whenever we go with them we arrive around 12.00, join a short queue that is continually moving, and get from car park to buffet in less than an hour and once in 30 minutes.

As someone said earlier, I don't need to be able to get straight into the cabin and am happy just to go and get some lunch or have a wander around the deck and for an hour or two while they finish the cleaning etc.

I've asked this question a number of times but never had a good answer. How does Celebrity manage to get people boarded without having to keep them in a lounge for a couple of hours ?

Whenever we go with them we arrive around 12.00, join a short queue that is continually moving, and get from car park to buffet in less than an hour and once in 30 minutes.

As someone said earlier, I don't need to be able to get straight into the cabin and am happy just to go and get some lunch or have a wander around the deck and for an hour or two while they finish the cleaning etc.

On the fly cruises you arrive very early, they save your hand luggage in the theatre and you are free to enjoy the ship. It works brilliantly.

In case you don't have access to the P&O Facebook page this was posted by Christopher Edgington yesterday:

Hi Everyone, it's Christopher Edgington, I wanted to come back to you all on this in person.

I can see from reading through all of your comments and concerns that we have to do a better job in telling you what we are doing and more importantly why. It is a fact that over the years the way we check in and embark our guests has changed several times, some of it planned and some has happened organically. Our ships have got bigger and the pressure to get you on board and start your holiday with us is greater than ever before.

There are occasions where we have had over half the ship arrive within the first hour of check in, leading to delays. The feedback we have been working to is "get me on board quickly and seamlessly and let me enjoy my holiday". We have been putting check-in times on our tickets for some time and the closer you arrive to that time the better and quicker your embarkation experience will be. Whilst these times are not being enforced, we are making sure that those with earlier check-in times are not made to wait longer as a result of those with later check-in times turning up very early. These are allocated according to the deck you are booked on.

I know from speaking with many of you that you like to arrive early or travel arrangements mean you have to arrive early and you can continue to do so. In the past it has not been unusual for some people to arrive up to seven hours earlier than invited, and whilst we will continue to check-in and embark these guests early, it would be unfair for those who arrive at the time we ask, to be put to the back of the queue. I hope you will agree. We have been implementing pieces of this process over the last few months on Britannia and whilst it has taken some time to get right I know you will see the positive benefits when you travel with us. We go live from Saturday on all our ships, so if you are travelling soon you will experience it first- hand.

I also have to say that this is part of a larger range of changes we are implementing to improve the experience at our home port. Some of these improvements include: increasing the number of guests we can handle at any time at security screening so it takes less time to get onboard,

speedier baggage delivery,

having all cabins ready earlier than ever before and

serving lunch throughout the afternoon until embarkation is complete.

These are just some of the improvements and we will continue to review the ways to improve the experience for our guests in the future.

A few of you have asked what these changes mean for your Peninsular Club benefits, I'm pleased to confirm that those guests who previously received 'Priority' Check-in, will continue to do so, however we've changed the concept slightly from a number of dedicated desks to a queue jump system which will ensure the wait to check-in is even shorter. Once you have checked in you will able to proceed straight to security and then embarkation, so there is no longer a need for the priority embarkation benefit. We recognise the existing embarkation lounge for our suite and Caribbean+ members closes at 2pm, so as a result of the improvements I am pleased to confirm this benefit will change to a welcome reception open from 1.30pm to 3.30pm, serving a selection of complimentary alcoholic and soft drinks, along with hot & cold canapés.

We are not doing this to put barriers up or to stop you getting on board, but to ensure that all guests board the ship comfortably without undue wait. I want to get you on board and into the bars and restaurants as soon as I can and not sat in the terminal!

Please do continue to give us feedback, we welcome any suggestion that improves your experience and we will continue to try really hard to make sure you have amazing holidays with P&O Cruises.

Thank you very much

In case you don't have access to the P&O Facebook page this was posted by Christopher Edgington yesterday:

Nice but this is old it was first posted in September. Has it been posted again?

Nice but this is old it was first posted in September. Has it been posted again?

I am still in Sept. Dai, are you operating a different calendar in the north east.:rolleyes:

Edited by terrierjohn

I am still in Sept. Dai, are you operating a different calendar in the north east.:rolleyes:

Yes we have an entirely different one to you. Did you want me to add, last year.

That would be when the experiment with Britannia was rolled out to the rest of the fleet.

And John that is a whole year ago. Well it is by our calendar up in the north.

A friend in spite of my warnings recently did the mini cruise on Oriana,as a trial - he had a 3pm check in got there at 2.45 and got on board at 4.40 works well.

I remember the days when getting there at 12.30-to 1pm joining a long queue and being on board at 1.30 to 2 pm latest. :)

Edited by TOMOGP

I'm pretty sure of this but if you travel to Southampton on the coach you can choose as a select fare benefit (worth about £350 for us), doesn't the time of the coach arriving in Southampton override your boarding time P&O have given you?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes if it's Intercruises.