Overnight in San Fransisco

DH and I are doing the Pacific Wine Country cruise in April of 2018. The first port is San Fransisco, with an overnight stay. My question is can you book a tours on each day in San Fransisco? We are looking at the Urban Wine Tour from Princess and the Napa Wine Train. Would appreciate your thoughts! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a big fan of the Wine Train. We did it with visiting in-laws a few years back and were underwhelmed. Food mediocre, wine samplings limited. Instead, I recommend a good wine-tasting tour by motor coach, if you want to see the Napa or Sonoma Valleys.

Wine country is nice, but if you have never been to SF, there is plenty in the City to fill two days. I'd visit SF and save the wine tasting for another day, but that's just me.

nnn: I could not agree with you more. But Rochnie did not specify whether she/he had ever been to SF before. Anyway, San Francisco is one of the US's unique cities and has a zillion wonderful places to explore. I've lived in the Bay Area 45 years and never get bored with its wonders. Napa is great and beautiful, but it is hideously expensive. One can have a lot of fun in San Francisco for a little money.

• 2 weeks later...
Wine country is nice, but if you have never been to SF, there is plenty in the City to fill two days. I'd visit SF and save the wine tasting for another day, but that's just me.

I'd stay clear of SoMa for sure.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/disturbing-photos-SoMa-drug-use-homelessness-9624487.php

I disagree. SoMa is a huge area. Not all of SoMa is problematic. The areas within SoMa where tourists might go (i.e., just south of Market St. east of 5th) are no worse than any other touristy area of the city.

I disagree. SoMa is a huge area. Not all of SoMa is problematic. The areas within SoMa where tourists might go (i.e., just south of Market St. east of 5th) are no worse than any other touristy area of the city.

What if cruise tourists ventured over to GG Park? I assume it's no worse than any other area of SF which is why I'd stay on ship at this port.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Man-pummeled-robbed-by-mob-of-7-in-Golden-Gate-9765911.php

What if cruise tourists ventured over to GG Park? I assume it's no worse than any other area of SF which is why I'd stay on ship at this port.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Man-pummeled-robbed-by-mob-of-7-in-Golden-Gate-9765911.php

Yes, crime does occur in San Francisco. If that fact is going to keep someone on the ship, I'd say it's their loss. Hope life is peachy in Diablo.

Geez Louise! Golden Gate Park is one of the safest big city parks in the US! And SOMA! It is indeed a huge part of San Francisco. Yes, there are homeless people sleeping on the streets in SOMA, as indicated in the article that was posted. But SOMA is also the home of San Francisco's Modern Art Museum, the Jewish Museum, the Museum of the African Diaspora, and other fine cultural institutions. It is also the home of many high-end restaurants where one can easily drop over $500 for a dinner-for-two. Condos are selling for way over $1 million and Salesforce is building the tallest skyscraper in the city in a major expansion of the financial district. Choosing to stay on board the ship in SF is a huge mistake, unless one is sick. San Francisco is a big American city with big city problems, but safer than most, and happily, still unique. It's full of European tourists who love it.

You live in Contra Costa County and are advising passengers to stay on the ship in San Francisco?

AT&T Park is south of Market. No Giants games either?

We LOVE GG Park !!! :)

We have taken 2 cruises specifically because they ported in SF, and are booked for Alaska departing from SF.

PCL has a ship's tour at night that let's you see the city at night, and several ship's tours that stop in the Park during the excursions.

Those may be a good options. :cool:

Patti

You live in Contra Costa County and are advising passengers to stay on the ship in San Francisco?

AT&T Park is south of Market. No Giants games either?

Perhaps trying to scare people into thinking this is the most crime-ridden port in the world so people will stay onboard, leaving The City to himself ;)

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities anywhere. If you are in shape, it is a great walking city. If I stay at the W Hotel - that IS in SoMa, right? - SoMa to Union Square, over the hill to Chinatown, Little Italy, down the hill to the Wharf area, over to the Embarcadero area, up Market Street. If I am ported there - over to Embarcadero, up Market to Union Square, over to Chinatown, Little Italy, down to the Wharf and walk back to the ship. Either way, it makes for a great day. In the evening, you can go anywhere via public transportation to a restaurant you have picked out by researching beforehand. Or, lots to choose from if you just walk along the Wharf or Embarcadero, see something that "calls" to you and hope for a walk-in...

Take public transportation over to GG Park and spend the day - The Academy of Science, the deYoung Museum, the Japanese Tea Garden... much more.

Perhaps trying to scare people into thinking this is the most crime-ridden port in the world so people will stay onboard, leaving The City to himself ;)

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities anywhere. If you are in shape, it is a great walking city. If I stay at the W Hotel - that IS in SoMa, right? - SoMa to Union Square, over the hill to Chinatown, Little Italy, down the hill to the Wharf area, over to the Embarcadero area, up Market Street. If I am ported there - over to Embarcadero, up Market to Union Square, over to Chinatown, Little Italy, down to the Wharf and walk back to the ship. Either way, it makes for a great day. In the evening, you can go anywhere via public transportation to a restaurant you have picked out by researching beforehand. Or, lots to choose from if you just walk along the Wharf or Embarcadero, see something that "calls" to you and hope for a walk-in...

Take public transportation over to GG Park and spend the day - The Academy of Science, the deYoung Museum, the Japanese Tea Garden... much more.

Next time in town, walk over to Telegraph Hill from China Town. See the murals in Coit Tower, then walk down the Filbert Steps to the area around Levi's Plaza, not far from where the cruise ships dock.

Next time in town, walk over to Telegraph Hill from China Town. See the murals in Coit Tower, then walk down the Filbert Steps to the area around Levi's Plaza, not far from where the cruise ships dock.

Done it. Way too many good walks to be had! I was one of those tech people back in the 90s-2000s. Had to come out once a month for a week to visit the corporate Mother Ship down in EPA or Santa Clara or San Jose (it moved a bit) - always did a front or back-end weekend in The City. Never had a car, so it was always walking or public transportation for me.

If the OP has never been to SF I'd say there's more than enough to do there. It's by far our favourite US city - SoMa, GG Park, been there, seen it, loved 'em both - even if we're quaint little Brits who weren't used to Policemen with guns (not to mention armoured cars.... :eek:)

But if Wine's the thing I'd suggest jumping over to Trip Advisor and picking from the top rated tours or wineries...

• 1 month later...

I would probably pass in the Napa Wine Train. It's fun if you have plenty of time, but with only a couple days, no way. It doesn't take you to any wineries!

If you want to go to visit some Napa Wineries, rent a car and don't be shy about tasting and spitting. Visit Frog's Leap, Grgich Hills, Stag's Leap (the apostrophe matters!) if you have time, stop into Vintners Collective. Most will require a reservation. Some of Napa's history is rife there.

If you look and don't like any of those, let me know and I can suggest others.

Everything on the Urban Winery Tour in San Francisco you can accomplish yourself for probably $25 per person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We live in wine country. Have for many years.

The wine train is pretty touristy as has been mentioned.....but a choice made by many visitors.

Napa vs Sonoma wine country - Napa has the more 'famous' wineries - many require reservations now. Many have very high tasting fees - some will reimburse if you buy their wine and some willl not. It is a busy place during peak season with only two main roads (Silverado Trail and Hwy 29) traversing the length of the valley. It's beautiful, and you can easily drive it or take one of the many private tours available (who will handle reservations etc).

Sonoma wine country - more spread out than Napa so the traffic during peak touring season is not as intense. Rarely are reservations needed to taste wines. Tasting fees are almost always waived with bottle purchase. Another beautiful area where you can easily drive or private tour.

Both regions produce excellent wines.

San Francisco - a great city. Not any more dangerous than any other big city with wonderful restaurants, sites, walking, the Park, etc....as well as areas to steer clear of. I would not recommend skipping this port and its sites....many of which could be walked from your ship if you choose to.

So depends on what works for you.....but do get out and enjoy!

Edited by Vineyard View

• 4 weeks later...
See you've a Mexican cruise coming up... Staying on-board?

We did get off the ship and suffice to say that I'd rather spend a day in Ensenada than SF:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/27/san-francisco-grapples-with-growing-crime-blight-after-years-liberal-policies.html

Careful:

http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/

Edited by need2cruisesoon