Fort Lauderdale Train Station

MeganEE

Hi everyone,

I'm taking my first HAL cruise in November! :D It will also be my first time at Port Everglades.

The Eurodam will be debarking at Port Everglades at 7:00am. Does anyone think I would be able to make a 8:50 Amtrack train at the Fort Lauderdale train station?

You're supposed to arrive at the train station 30 minutes before the train is scheduled to leave. I would be doing self-disembarkation, and I think it's only a 10 minute cab ride to the train station. I have no idea how long it will take to disembark, get a cab, and get out of the port.

Too tight/risky? :eek: Or reasonably do-able? :confused:

Thank you!

With the Eurodam arrival at 7am, rarely would you be able to debark before 8am.you have to clear customs, then a cab to the station. Only under perfect times, would you make an 8:50 train.

I have taken the train to Tampa, usually around noon, which works well.

Not true. The ship is usually tied up by 7, many times earlier then that, and disembarking usually starts by 7:30. Rarely later than that.

I think you could make an 8:50 train. Just do everything you can to be in the early people off the ship, and grab a cab.

Hi everyone,

I'm taking my first HAL cruise in November! :D It will also be my first time at Port Everglades.

The Eurodam will be debarking at Port Everglades at 7:00am. Does anyone think I would be able to make a 8:50 Amtrack train at the Fort Lauderdale train station?

You're supposed to arrive at the train station 30 minutes before the train is scheduled to leave. I would be doing self-disembarkation, and I think it's only a 10 minute cab ride to the train station. I have no idea how long it will take to disembark, get a cab, and get out of the port.

Thank you!

I think you mean "arriving" rather than "debarking". If the ship arrives at 7:00 - especially if you are talking about the trans-Atlantic repositioning - you will not be getting off immediately. Customs and immigration - especially after a T/A can be time-consuming. If you are hoping to take an Amtrak Silver Service train (which we did a few years ago from Miami after a T/A) you should plan on spending the night and taking the train the next day.

Yes - it is "doable" , but not "reasonably" so - again - especially if you are coming off a T/A; it would be too risky for my taste if it were just the next 7 day itinerary.

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Too risky. You should allow more time to make your connection.

Good luck.

We have taken the train home several times, and I wouldn't risk it. IIRC, it's a longer cab ride than 10 minutes. We've always taken the noon train.

Where are you going? Would the later train work for you? I forget which is the Star and which is the Meteor, but I can tell you that the early train is better if you're on overnight, as it still has the dining car. The later train has only the cafe (but sleeping accommodations are cheaper on that train).

Just remember, if you miss your train, your fare is nonrefundable if you can't get online or call Amtrak to cancel before departure. And if you're looking at sleeping accommodations, that's an expensive ticket to burn.

We have taken the train home several times, and I wouldn't risk it. IIRC, it's a longer cab ride than 10 minutes. We've always taken the noon train.

Where are you going? Would the later train work for you? I forget which is the Star and which is the Meteor, but I can tell you that the early train is better if you're on overnight, as it still has the dining car. The later train has only the cafe (but sleeping accommodations are cheaper on that train).

Just remember, if you miss your train, your fare is nonrefundable if you can't get online or call Amtrak to cancel before departure. And if you're looking at sleeping accommodations, that's an expensive ticket to burn.

Just curious. Have you taken the train from Ft. Lauderdale back to New Jersey? What is your experience? Do you have sleeping arrangements? We love trains and had never thought about going down via train. Thanks.

Just curious. Have you taken the train from Ft. Lauderdale back to New Jersey? What is your experience? Do you have sleeping arrangements? We love trains and had never thought about going down via train. Thanks.

Yes, we've taken the train in both directions several times. We love it! We go in and out of NYC because we can take NJ Transit from our town and NY Penn is better than Newark for getting baggage assistance to the train.

We splurge on a bedroom, which is expensive, but you can take a roomette, which is smaller, and still have private sleeping accommodations. The space is small, but the windows are large and I love watching the scenery. The trip between NYC and FL is interesting because the scenery changes along the route, especially in the winter.

On the Silver Meteor, meals in the dining car are included with the sleeper fare. If you're sitting up in coach, you may eat in the dining car, but it's ala carte. Don't be put off If you've had "cafe" food on an Amtrak train. The dining car food is excellent! Going north, the Meteor is the early train OP was asking about.

Sadly, Amtrak has taken the dining car off the Silver Star. It began as an "experiment" to see if taking away the included meals would drop the price enough to make the trip more attractive. Then it became permanent, despite protests from rail fans The real issue may be that Amtrak is short on diners, and they had to take one off a line somewhere. (Both trains have a cafe car, and the Star's cafe has supposedly been "upgraded" in some way)

This change in the Star was made shortly before our trip last winter, and we rearranged our plans to stay an extra day in FL and take the Meteor. 24-30 hours (depends on the route) is too long not to have decent food.

It isn't for everyone--it's a long ride, but it's worth trying to see if it's for you.

https://www.amtrak.com/silver-service-palmetto-train

We splurge on a bedroom, which is expensive, but you can take a roomette, which is smaller, and still have private sleeping accommodations.

On the Silver Meteor, meals in the dining car are included with the sleeper fare.

Sadly, Amtrak has taken the dining car off the Silver Star.

It isn't for everyone--it's a long ride, but it's worth trying to see if it's for you.

https://www.amtrak.com/silver-service-palmetto-train

Also note that to book a bedroom or roomette = only ONE passenger pays the fare for the sleeping quarters - the 2nd person pays the regular coach price but CAN eat in the dining car for "free". Their ticket shows booking for the sleeping roomette or bedroom.

We took the Meteor after a Celebrity T/A from Harwich in the UK in 2013 - we disembarked in Miami, took a taxi to our hotel, stopping first at a UPS to ship a large bag home to avoid the hassle. The next morning we boarded at about 8:00 AM- comfortable bedroom with enclosed toilet, had full breakfast in dining car, enjoyed the ride and other pretty good meals, including breakfast next morning shortly after leaving Washington, and got off in New York about 11:00, then took train to CT about an hour later. A relaxing and enjoyable way of getting home - but much pricier than flying

Also note that to book a bedroom or roomette = only ONE passenger pays the fare for the sleeping quarters - the 2nd person pays the regular coach price but CAN eat in the dining car for "free". Their ticket shows booking for the sleeping roomette or bedroom.

Right. Tickets are priced per person, but bedrooms are priced per room. The booking process offers you a choice of ticket categories for just a seat or sleeping quarters. The e-ticket will show that you've bought a bedroom or roomette and then list the passengers booked to travel in that compartment. The second person's food isn't free. The price of the sleeping compartment is slightly more if there are two people than if there's just one.

You don't have to be booked on the full trip to stay in sleeping accommodations. We've taken a roomette on a long day trip just to have a bit more space and comfort. We're taking the Adirondak to Montreal and I wish they had sleeper cars. I'd love to have the comfort of a roomette for that long trip.

we tried catching a 9am train out of San Diego. though the Amtrak station is only a 10 minute walk from the port, there was some hold up after we docked, and we missed the train. Fortunately, we had not bought tickets, since buying them at the station was only a bit more than reserving in advance.

the trains ran every 2 hours, so we put our luggage in a locker and explored the immediate area and we took the 11 am train. i don't know if something similar is possible in your case?

Hi everyone,

No way I'd even consider a train that early. They dock at 7 a.m., but I think the earliest debarkation is 8:30 or 9.

Edited by blizzardboy

With the Eurodam arrival at 7am, rarely would you be able to debark before 8am.you have to clear customs, then a cab to the station. Only under perfect times, would you make an 8:50 train.

I have taken the train to Tampa, usually around noon, which works well.

Can you email me with some more info on this train? I didn't realize that this was possible. One of my questions concerns the size of luggage which would be feasible for train travel. Thanks for any info. I didn't want to tie up this thread with irrelevant info.

Can you email me with some more info on this train? I didn't realize that this was possible. One of my questions concerns the size of luggage which would be feasible for train travel. Thanks for any info. I didn't want to tie up this thread with irrelevant info.

Go to Amtrak.com. Their website has all the information you could possibly want. Their luggage allowances are more generous than the airlines', that's for sure.

Go to Amtrak.com. Their website has all the information you could possibly want. Their luggage allowances are more generous than the airlines', that's for sure.

Thanks, Kathy. I did check the baggage limit. It sure is more generous than the airlines! I would be interested in hearing from those who have taken the FTL to TPA train as to the comfort of the seats, food in the cafe, and the overall comfort of the train. Four hour and 40 minutes is only a little longer than what it take us to drive to FTL, and then we have to worry about the safety of our car while we are gone. Interesting possibility.

Thanks, Kathy. I did check the baggage limit. It sure is more generous than the airlines! I would be interested in hearing from those who have taken the FTL to TPA train as to the comfort of the seats, food in the cafe, and the overall comfort of the train. Four hour and 40 minutes is only a little longer than what it take us to drive to FTL, and then we have to worry about the safety of our car while we are gone. Interesting possibility.

Because we go all the way to NYC, we've never sat in the coaches. The cafe food is not great (the Tampa train is the one without the dining car), but for one lunch you would be OK. They do stock decent beer, if that helps.

The coach seats on the longer trains have good leg room and are definitely wider than a coach airplane seat. They're probably like some of the business class cars that I've been in on the NE Corridor. The main difference between short-distance coach seats and long-distance coach seats is more leg room and foot rests and/or leg rests. Some cars might have some seats that face tables, but you have to move fast to get one.

I've been in seats like this for rides of 8 hours or more and been comfortable.

No way I'd even consider a train that early. They dock at 7 a.m., but I think the earliest debarkation is 8:30 or 9.

Disembarkation normally starts long before then. Unless there is some unusual holdup, a docking at 7:00 should result in disembarkation starting about 7:30. I have seen it start as early as 7:15, and as late as 7:45.

The self-disembarkation passengers go first, followed by the Luggage Direct passengers. By 9:00 AM the ship is fairly empty of passengers, with last call coming some time around 9:45-10:00.

However, I do agree that I would not want to attempt a train at that time, either. Too close for my nerves.

Can you email me with some more info on this train? I didn't realize that this was possible. One of my questions concerns the size of luggage which would be feasible for train travel. Thanks for any info. I didn't want to tie up this thread with irrelevant info.[/quote

I believe you can check up to 3 bags each - MUST be less than 50lbs each

Tickets are priced per person, but The second person's food isn't free. The price of the sleeping compartment is slightly more if there are two people than if there's just one. .

That info is incorrect based on the info I copied from the Amtrak site minutes ago. I couldn't imagine it changing that much in the last year. :)

Are meals included with my sleeping accommodations? Yes. Sleeping accommodations are considered "Sleeper Service" accommodations aboard Amtrak. As Sleeper Service passengers, you and your sleeping car companions (up to the maximum passenger capacity for your accommodation) are entitled to receive all regular meals as part of your accommodations.

How are sleeping accommodations priced?

The purchase of sleeping accommodations is considered to be an upgrade to your regular rail fare. The charge is applied as an add-on, usually to the lowest rail fare available. When you share a sleeper, you will be charged only one accommodation charge for all parties sharing the sleeping accommodation. Each passenger pays regular rail fare.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

I'm only going to Orlando (about 4 - 5 hours), and the fare is only $41. The next train is at 11:45am or thereabouts, but I would prefer not to have to wait around all morning, since I'm meeting someone in Orlando.

Missing the train and losing $41 wouldn't be the end of the world if I could just buy another ticket for the later train when I do get there. Or I could not buy a ticket until I get to the station, then buy whatever ticket is possible given the timing.

But - is there a reasonable chance either/both trains would be sold out? I have no idea how popular Amtrack is (I'm Canadian - no experience with it).

That info is incorrect based on the info I copied from the Amtrak site minutes ago. I couldn't imagine it changing that much in the last year. :)

Are meals included with my sleeping accommodations? Yes. Sleeping accommodations are considered "Sleeper Service" accommodations aboard Amtrak. As Sleeper Service passengers, you and your sleeping car companions (up to the maximum passenger capacity for your accommodation) are entitled to receive all regular meals as part of your accommodations.

How are sleeping accommodations priced?

The purchase of sleeping accommodations is considered to be an upgrade to your regular rail fare. The charge is applied as an add-on, usually to the lowest rail fare available. When you share a sleeper, you will be charged only one accommodation charge for all parties sharing the sleeping accommodation. Each passenger pays regular rail fare.

Amtrak just gives you a total cost. They don't break it down, although you can take the cost and subtract the price of seat tickets to see what the sleeper add-on costs. They may charge only one accommodation charge, but it is not always the same for two people as for one. I've priced a lot of train travel and there often is a difference for two people. I've done some looking tonight with variations on one and two passengers, and sometimes the add-on is the same and some times it's about $30 more if there are two people.

It makes sense that there would be a difference for the Meteor, as it has the dining car. But I found cases where the upcharge for the sleeping compartment was more for 2 people than for 1 on the Star, which does not give you any food.

Like just about everything else in the travel industry, Amtrak's prices change with demand. If you look far out, the savings by not having meals included is about $30 per person in a roomette, more in a bedroom. As you get closer to the travel date, the differences between the two trains are greater. I think that's because people who want sleeping accommodations also want decent meals, so there is more demand for the Meteor (with the dining car) than for the Star. Also, the Meteor is a shorter ride (about 27 hours vs 31, IIRC) because it doesn't have the side trip to Tampa. This may increase demand for that train as well.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

I'm only going to Orlando (about 4 - 5 hours), and the fare is only $41. The next train is at 11:45am or thereabouts, but I would prefer not to have to wait around all morning, since I'm meeting someone in Orlando.

Missing the train and losing $41 wouldn't be the end of the world if I could just buy another ticket for the later train when I do get there. Or I could not buy a ticket until I get to the station, then buy whatever ticket is possible given the timing.

But - is there a reasonable chance either/both trains would be sold out? I have no idea how popular Amtrack is (I'm Canadian - no experience with it).

If you only want a seat in a coach, you should be OK. Sleeping accommodations do sell out, but there are only 2 or 3 sleeper cars on a train. There are more coach cars, so regular seats are usually available. The only time I've seen trains fully sold are around holidays and when there are snowstorms that mess up train schedules and people flock to the trains to rescue their plans.

You might buy a ticket for the later train and if you get to the station early enough, change the ticket. I did that in Boston last year when we got off the ship earlier than I had planned for. There could be an increase in the ticket price last-minute, but they're good about making changes as long as it's done before the train gets to your station.