Windjammer utensils

halp79

I was looking at pictures and video of the buffet and I'm concerned about the placement of utensils that you use to pick up the food. I know we're all concerned about norovirus and we should all wash our hands especially after we go through the line and handle all the utensils, but it looks like they are just laying across the food and in many cases the top (where it is held) is directly on the food itself! Since the whole hand washing thing and norovirus is SO significant (and such a problem) WHY would RC allow this and not be more proactive in utensil placement. Is there anything I can do (I always take precautions) short of simply not eating there the entire trip. I haven't cruised on RC before and I (like everyone else) don't want to waste my vacation (and money) by getting sick. I didn't want to have to just eat in MDR every meal and I don't have the extra cash for specialty venues. Any thoughts? other than ones that would be useless and demeaning.

The only thought I have on this is, I´ve been on over 40 Cruises, including Cruises when they started higher precautions, I never use the sanitizer, I wash my Hands Prior to going to eat, but not in between getting my Food and eating it and I never ever got sick.

I say don´t be overly worried about it.

Well, the utensils are on top of the food because that is where the passengers place them. Unless you or someone else is policing every station of the buffet, this is not going to change (no offense intended, I am being sincere).

We have been on many cruises and have never been sick. Noro cases actually make up a very small percentage of the cruising public - it's just that we hear about Noro and get freaked out about it. Eating in the dining room the whole cruise might be marginally better, but you could still potentially pick up an illness from the stair hand rails or the elevator buttons. I mean, I don't want to get sick either but I also want to enjoy my vacation.

Practical solutions include washing your hands with hot soapy water after getting your food from the buffet, but then you get back to the table, pull your chair out, pick up your cutlery, and you've already been "contaminated" all over again.

Please try to relax, enjoy your cruise, and just take regular precautions. Royal has a great product and I'm sure you'll come to love this line. :)

Yeah - almost 50 cruises and at least one with a small outbreak and one the week after a major outbreak. Never had an issue.

You can get it from almost any surface anywhere. Washing your hands often is still the best prevention.

I'm using Tapatalk so I can't see your signature to see what ship you are on, but on many royal Caribbean ships there are other options for casual no cost breakfast lunch and snacks, where the crew are the ones serving you your food or there is only minimal passenger food interactions such as a salad bar. And even in Windjammer, again depending on the ship, there are food stations where you are being served by a crewmember, such as the carving station, a pasta station, omelette station, etc. They're not on every ship but there are other ways of enjoying Windjammer without constantly thinking about Noro.

Edited by MattInFLL

I not to worried about germs etc but what does concern me is people going to the 'unpoliced' gluten free section and using the utensils to put stuff on their non gluten free plate touching that food then putting the utensils back down on the gluten free stuff. I have even seen one man use the utensils from the other buffet rather than wait until the gluten free ones became free. He took them from a pasta salad:( . And a teenage girl swapped her cake from her plate with one on the gluten free tray that she obviously wanted more (yukk!). However, in these peoples defence I don't think they realise that it is a special food 'allergy' area as the sign is so small

I was looking at pictures and video of the buffet and I'm concerned about the placement of utensils that you use to pick up the food. I know we're all concerned about norovirus and we should all wash our hands especially after we go through the line and handle all the utensils, but it looks like they are just laying across the food and in many cases the top (where it is held) is directly on the food itself! Since the whole hand washing thing and norovirus is SO significant (and such a problem) WHY would RC allow this and not be more proactive in utensil placement. Is there anything I can do (I always take precautions) short of simply not eating there the entire trip. I haven't cruised on RC before and I (like everyone else) don't want to waste my vacation (and money) by getting sick. I didn't want to have to just eat in MDR every meal and I don't have the extra cash for specialty venues. Any thoughts? other than ones that would be useless and demeaning.

Not sure what you mean by the statement I bolded. RC places the utensils out when the line opens. Any other placement after that is done by the customers using the utensils.

About the only thing RC could do would be to have staff serve the food, but of course that would entail more labor and costs.

Edited by time4u2go

it is not the cruise line's fault people cannot be bothered to put things back where they belong on the plates specifically designed to hold dirty serving pieces.

you do realize that more cases of Noro happen on land in schools and hospitals than they do on a ship, right?

The only thought I have on this is, I´ve been on over 40 Cruises, including Cruises when they started higher precautions, I never use the sanitizer, I wash my Hands Prior to going to eat, but not in between getting my Food and eating it and I never ever got sick.

I say don´t be overly worried about it.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist. I wash my hands before I eat and take precautions. I know that germs or Noro can be picked up anywhere. My concern is not so much as the things I touch as much as the food I eat. If someone who's sick uses the utensils and then they or someone else lays it on the food, then all the handwashing is useless. I realize that the crew can't monitor every pan constantly. I guess I was wondering why they don't seem to have a specific "holder" with each pan where the utensil could go. I know, I know, some people would still not use it. I just hate to see the handles on the food! I also don't like when someone hands me a cup with their fingers on the top of it. Call me crazy!

I guess I was wondering why they don't seem to have a specific "holder" with each pan where the utensil could go.

they do. granted it can be difficult to figure out which one at times, but there are plates, bowls and other designated spots on a majority of items.

Not sure what you mean by the statement I bolded. RC places the utensils out when the line opens. Any other placement after that is done by the customers using the utensils.

About the only thing RC could do would be to have staff serve the food, but of course that would entail more labor and costs.

As I replied to another post, I'm just saying wouldn't it be a good idea for them to have a "holder" of some sort rather than just having people put it back in the food? Of course, that means people need to use it as instructed and we all know how that goes...

I not to worried about germs etc but what does concern me is people going to the 'unpoliced' gluten free section and using the utensils to put stuff on their non gluten free plate touching that food then putting the utensils back down on the gluten free stuff. I have even seen one man use the utensils from the other buffet rather than wait until the gluten free ones became free. He took them from a pasta salad:( . And a teenage girl swapped her cake from her plate with one on the gluten free tray that she obviously wanted more (yukk!). However, in these peoples defence I don't think they realise that it is a special food 'allergy' area as the sign is so small

Having just sailed the Allure a couple weeks ago I was thrilled when the gluten free section was its own separate kiosk.

Great Idea to RCI.

So unless someone walks a utensil across the WJ you have a fighting chance at gluten free.

Safe travels.

they do. granted it can be difficult to figure out which one at times, but there are plates, bowls and other designated spots on a majority of items.

Really? I didn't see that in a single picture or video. Well, if they do, then that's all I can ask. It's up to the passengers to use it.

As I replied to another post, I'm just saying wouldn't it be a good idea for them to have a "holder" of some sort rather than just having people put it back in the food? Of course, that means people need to use it as instructed and we all know how that goes...

I am sure there are many people here that have worked their way through high school and college in restaurants, as have I. If you ever knew what went on "behind the scenes", you would NEVER eat out again. Just saying.

Edited by champagne123
dddd

Having just sailed the Allure a couple weeks ago I was thrilled when the gluten free section was its own separate kiosk.

Great Idea to RCI.

So unless someone walks a utensil across the WJ you have a fighting chance at gluten free.

Safe travels.

But the biggest problem was people who had other food on there plates (past bread etc) getting things from the gluten free counter and while adding the gluten free items to their plates they allowed the utensils to touch the non gluten free stuff. - This was on Rhapsody last year

Holders for the tongs would not work - they do have a small plate there for which you are to rest the spoon on, but those go unused too.

OP, perhaps you were just venting, letting off some steam, I'm not really sure. But, as much as we want change in this area (and to have everyone wash their hands after using the rest room!) it's just not going to happen. If this is truly a concern for you, I mean to the point of real worry, you might want to get some help for this (and I mean that gently and constructively, not in a mean way).

My life is already going to be too short without worrying about looking over my shoulder for every perceived or real evil. I even cross the street w/o thinking I may get hit by a bus or on a golf course thinking about lightning :D

around here you need to worry more about gators on the links rather than lightning.

A holder is going to do much . People are still going to leave the utensils in the food pan. Even if the utensils are placed back in the holder norovirus germs can be on the handles of utensils.

Eating in the MDR or Room Service isn't going to prevent getting norovirus.

With all do respect you're over thinking this.

45 plus cruises with a compromised immune system due to having MS and have never had norovirus even when others on the ship have been afflicted.

The only thing that I got in the Windjammer was a bad burn that sent me to the medical center after I picked up a tong that was so hot that I dropped it and my hand automatically went up and touched the heat lamp above the food.

The picture shows the day after I got the burn. It was a little worse three days later . The ship's doctor gave me a band aid and told me to keep in dry. My doctor back home put me on a prescription antibiotic cream. But at least I wasn't charged on the ship for a visit to the medical center.

Just be careful when picking up the tongs because as you can see they can get hot.

burnt%20finger_zpsf6uq5lsv-1.jpg

Edited by lady_cruiser