New Ship 2020

MattyBarlow

You have all probably seen the Costa and P&O renderings by now:

https://youtu.be/ZpKGgKOgXn8

Interestingly only the P&O model has 'The Dome' entertainment centre. The Dome of course adds passenger space and a little gross tonnage.

What is THAT? I saw another rendering from Costa and I cannot understand that water slides would be put on a P&O ship. Yes, we enjoy using them when it's hot, but there is no way P&O's older clientele would appreciate it (probably including the ship itself).

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regretably P&O are noticeably going for Magaluf type ships, clients and standards .......

Lets just hope they leave at least one ship, may I suggest Aurora, for those that really do have different tastes and equally good money to spend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival have no need to do that, they have Cunard ;)

In the past having ships with differing dress codes etc just led to confusion amongst passengers. All ships within the brand need to offer a similar product.

All that glass! What if it smashes in bad seas?

Like the idea of the 'Dome'. Having multifunctional spaces is a good idea on a ship. Anthem has 270 which is a library, cafe bar, bar and theatre combined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sue, I imagine it will be some sort of plastic rather than glass, both for breakage and weight problems.

I also quite like the idea of the dome, but I thought I read somewhere that it would be retractable, from the renderings it looks a fairly permanent structure. It will certainly be useful on northern cruises, but the alfresco dining on the promenade deck will be more useful in warmer climes.

Thinking of the prom. deck I have not heard any favourable comments from all those who have vowed never to sail a ship without one.

Daniel, I think only the Costa ship will have the slides, P&O only the Dome, but both look like having promenade deck eateries, rather like the newest NCL ships.

Well there's no questioning, that dome area looks impressive, and no doubt will be the "showstopper" for the press when she's launched.

As a concept, I've got no issue with it....sure it's got a high chance of being gaudy, but I'll reserve judgement until they build it.

As has been said many times before, my main issue still is that the flippin' ship is too big!

Sue, I imagine it will be some sort of plastic rather than glass, both for breakage and weight problems.

I also quite like the idea of the dome, but I thought I read somewhere that it would be retractable, from the renderings it looks a fairly permanent structure. It will certainly be useful on northern cruises, but the alfresco dining on the promenade deck will be more useful in warmer climes.

Thinking of the prom. deck I have not heard any favourable comments from all those who have vowed never to sail a ship without one.

Daniel, I think only the Costa ship will have the slides, P&O only the Dome, but both look like having promenade deck eateries, rather like the newest NCL ships.

Thanks for clarifying that John, although I was thinking about the "glass" walls in the atrium too.

I agree with others the dome area does look impressive. I think I would travel on this ship once - just to try it! But the prices will probably be too high to start with! Ventura is noticeably cheaper than Azura and Brittannia on very similar cruises.

What exactly does "innovative use of space" mean. If it's small cabins, tiny balconies, crammed lifts and you must be joking if you expect any chairs free when it's sunny, then I will gratefully leave the new ship, as I have with Britannia to others.

Pando is steadily going downmarket and with an ageing smaller ship fleet and Adonia gone to Fathom I fear, eventually the more traditional cruiser type will have to look to other and more expensive lines.

But then, if they continue to make good profits why should I complain. Carnival shares have been an excellent buy.

David.

What exactly does "innovative use of space" mean. If it's small cabins, tiny balconies, crammed lifts and you must be joking if you expect any chairs free when it's sunny, then I will gratefully leave the new ship, as I have with Britannia to others.

Pando is steadily going downmarket and with an ageing smaller ship fleet and Adonia gone to Fathom I fear, eventually the more traditional cruiser type will have to look to other and more expensive lines.

But then, if they continue to make good profits why should I complain. Carnival shares have been an excellent buy.

David.

The innovative use of space might be associated with the comments about the tie up with the supplier of the lay flat aircraft seats. Maybe the beds are sofa style or drop down types, which will permit more daytime cabin space.

Hopefully the accesible cabins won't be affected, and will still offer plenty of space.

What is THAT? I saw another rendering from Costa and I cannot understand that water slides would be put on a P&O ship.

The slide-show seems to show water slides on the Costa version but the Dome on the P&O model.

See: https://youtu.be/ZpKGgKOgXn8

All that glass! What if it smashes in bad seas?

Many modern ships have lots of glass, sometimes including glass balcony doors facing the bow! These ships are designed for fair weather. This is why the QM2 has hull-hole balconies and higher lifeboats.

What exactly does "innovative use of space" mean.

I suppose The Dome is an example of a multipurpose space: part pool, part solarium, part entertainment space.

AIDA ships have seta in their atrium and a stage for performances.

I think we can expect compact cabins and small balconies, unless you pay top-dollar (pound!)

Well that does look better, although is it a traditional 'complete circuit'? Looks like it diverts inside at mid-ships.

I don't get the 'complete prom deck' desire of some. I've never experienced anyone who moaned about an incomplete prom deck on any cruise and my experience of being on a prom deck suggests it satisfies the needs of a very few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^What about the joggers and those who walk the Prom (ie. 5 laps = 1 mile). Who wants the faff of going in and out of doors when trying to do that?

.................and who the heck wants joggers or even saunterers pushing past you as you enjoy your morning Costa coffee, afternoon tea, Burger King or Pizza Express eating alfresco outside all the new pay extra promenade cafes?

Kevin, if you've never encountered anyone who moans about a prom deck that doesn't go all the way round then meet my husband who moans if we are on a ship where either he has to turn round and go back the way he came or has to go inside, across to the other side of the ship and continue that way (Azura). He's not a fitness fanatic, he just likes doing laps of the ship. So people like that do exist. I can't honestly say it bothers me but it is lovely, especially in the Caribbean to go out on deck after dinner, a warm, gentle wind blowing and take a walk round the deck, right round the ship.

I've never experienced anyone who moaned about an incomplete prom deck...

I can assure you Kevin, that there are plenty of us!

A proper 'wrap-around' prom is a nautical tradition that we like to preserve, along with a nice 'fan-tail' (stepped stern arrangement).

Edited by London-Calling

I can assure you Kevin, that there are plenty of us!

A proper 'wrap-around' prom is a nautical tradition that we like to preserve, along with a nice 'fan-tail' (stepped stern arrangement).

Totally agree with this. We do not like not having a fully wrap around prom deck to walk around, and most of us traditional cruisers do not like the blocky sterns that they build nowadays. Two of the most elegant ships around are Oriana and Aurora because they have such beautiful stern arrangements.

Edited by Cruise Puss