Breakaway - Garden Cafe

GeriatricNurse

no trays - just plates around the area , cups etc. The silver wear is already on the tables. I suggest finding a table first , put something on it that shows you are there (the staff is on the ball and if they see a table empty they may take away your stiff thinking you are gone) or have someone sit there taking turns. It really isnt hard t grab what you want and return, never had an instance where we felt like we are juggling

all you do is walk up to the lady taking orders. Tell her what you want. she hand you a number, and you take it to a table, and put the number in a holder thats on the table. when your food is ready, they bring you your food.

I never had problems finding a table. Very good cheeseburgers.

all you do is walk up to the lady taking orders. Tell her what you want. she hand you a number, and you take it to a table, and put the number in a holder thats on the table. when your food is ready, they bring you your food.

The OP is talking about the buffet. Not sure what you are referring to.

no trays - just plates around the area , cups etc. The silver wear is already on the tables. I suggest finding a table first , put something on it that shows you are there (the staff is on the ball and if they see a table empty they may take away your stiff thinking you are gone) or have someone sit there taking turns. It really isnt hard t grab what you want and return, never had an instance where we felt like we are juggling

Thank you for your reply. I am thinking of bringing my own small tray to make it easier for me, with arthritic finger joints, to carry everything! Has anyone else ever done that as well? :confused:

Thank you for your reply. I am thinking of bringing my own small tray to make it easier for me, with arthritic finger joints, to carry everything! Has anyone else ever done that as well? :confused:

For guests who really need it the staff can and will carry the plates on a tray to your table.

The OP is talking about the buffet. Not sure what you are referring to.

They are obviously mixing up the Buffet with the Uptown Grill.

OP - i am sure the staff will help you, we thought the staff in there were some of the friendliest on the ship. There are also loads of tables and as long as you don't go at peak-peak times you should be able to get a table near the food quite easily.

Just off the Breakaway two weeks ago and I found the Garden Cafe very easy to navigate. Although it did get busy at times we never had a problem at lunch or breakfast finding a table (we didn't eat there at dinner so can't comment).

Like others suggested I'm sure a staff member would gladly help you.

Last time we were on the Breakaway the staff was VERY helpful to physically challenged folks as well as people who just needed to grow a third arm or hand to juggle the dishes and cups...lol

I had the chance once during the Gem's first season to ask Klaus, the Hotel Manager, why they were no longer providing trays (the Gem was one of the first NCL ships to discontinue using trays in the Garden Cafe). He answered that they will always provide a tray if a pax asks for one but he'd rather have the staff help carry extra items if need be; it's more "personal service" he thought than just handing the person a tray.

The main reason, however, he said was that the trays are VERY difficult to sterilize and keep clean. This was around the time (2007) that the norovirus was breaking out on a LOT of cruise ships and the last thing any cruise line Hotel Manager wants is a potential germ magnet, like the trays.

Tom K.

The buffet is self serve. No numbers.

The uptown grill is closing and being replaced with a restaurant.

What is the process in the Garden Café? Are there trays available at the entrance on which to be able to place everything or do you have to 'juggle' with balancing several items, (then search for an available seat)? :confused:

i have to say this is a great question. i'm a newbie and thought i asked all the questions but i never thought of this one. makes me wonder what other detail i'm missing

Since I only drink (hot) tea, I am wondering what brand(s) of teabags are available in the Garden Café & if there are tea pots available too. :confused:

I remember a box with at least a dozen choices of tea but can't remember the brand.. maybe one of the wooden Twinings boxes? No tea pots at the buffet, but I think you can order a pot from room service for no delivery charge (but do tip) for the first few hours of the morning.

The food is arranged into many small sections even though it appears to be one long line at times. Don't follow the herd and slowly move down the line if you are simply looking to get a specific item - just politely look for an opening and jump in. Early in the cruise I got some looks for doing this but I quickly realized that's what you have to do since you can only take what you can carry. In a typical meal I would get up and return about 6 times. Drinks. First place. A bowl of soup or fruit. Refills. Dessert. Refills.

Make that 8 times: Honey, can you get me a bowl of soup? Dad, can you grab me a piece of pie?

Make that 9 or 10 times: There's a bar in back...

It all goes smoothly until it gets really crowded. That only really happened a few times in a week for us. When it does, look around, and it may even be worth going to the other side where it may be less crowded. One reason it might be crowded is that off peak, they only open one site or fewer food stations.

Pay attention to your hand cleanliness: Did you use shared serving utensils? Are kids touching all the glasses or bowls (watch that ice cream area especially.) Reach for the items in back. Sanitize your hands when you return to your table before you touch your silverware. Then wipe down your silverware (somebody had to wrap that up, and they probably didn't wear gloves for that.) Taking a shot of hand sanitizer on your way in doesn't really stop the spread of germs in a buffet unless 100% of the people use it.

Last time we were on the Breakaway the staff was VERY helpful to physically challenged folks as well as people who just needed to grow a third arm or hand to juggle the dishes and cups...lol

I had the chance once during the Gem's first season to ask Klaus, the Hotel Manager, why they were no longer providing trays (the Gem was one of the first NCL ships to discontinue using trays in the Garden Cafe). He answered that they will always provide a tray if a pax asks for one but he'd rather have the staff help carry extra items if need be; it's more "personal service" he thought than just handing the person a tray.

The main reason, however, he said was that the trays are VERY difficult to sterilize and keep clean. This was around the time (2007) that the norovirus was breaking out on a LOT of cruise ships and the last thing any cruise line Hotel Manager wants is a potential germ magnet, like the trays.

Tom K.

We met Klaus for the first time this year. What a wonderful gentleman and asset to NCL.

regarding the 'other side' comment above. i read a post on here that said when one side of the buffet is open, the other is being sterilized and that goes on continuously.

i dont know if they meant that literally

Yes you can see them cleaning some of the time on a closed side but generally one side opens in the morning, then both sides are open, after peak one side shuts down, then both open for dinner, one side shuts down, and only one side stays open late. I will have to watch next month to see if they actually alternate to clean... that does seem likely!