Disembarking/Customs for non-US citizens is awful and lengthy.

Clearing immigration at FLL was an absolute nightmare after my TA on Oasis a couple of years ago. I was supposed to have a day room at a Miami aiport hotel, but by the time I'd passed through immigration and the long queue for the bus, I gave up and went straight to the airport! I have another TA on the Independence next year. I'm taking no chances this time, I'm staying on for a couple of nights!!

Edited by besberry

I would be interested to hear how non-Eu passport holders get on when they disembark in Southampton uk?? Anyone??

I have an Israeli passport.

I've embarked/disembarked twice from/in Southampton (one cruise to the Norwegian Fjords and one to the Canaries, Portugal and Spain) - no immigration/customs in port.

I would be interested to hear how non-Eu passport holders get on when they disembark in Southampton uk?? Anyone??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If it's a Southampton to Southampton cruise then no immigration checks required in Southampton. Walk straight off and out. If the cruise originated elsewhere then clearance has been done onboard in our experience. In fact there are not any immigration booths in the Southampton terminal so not sure they could do an immigration check if they wanted to. Just a few benches that are rarely staffed by Customs officers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an Israeli passport.

I've embarked/disembarked twice from/in Southampton (one cruise to the Norwegian Fjords and one to the Canaries, Portugal and Spain) - no immigration/customs in port.

Clearing immigration at FLL was an absolute nightmare after my TA on Oasis a couple of years ago. I was supposed to have a day room at a Miami aiport hotel, but by the time I'd passed through immigration and the long queue for the bus, I gave up and went straight to the airport! I have another TA on the Independence next year. I'm taking no chances this time, I'm staying on for a couple of nights!!

Hi Dani & Mick, how quickly a year has gone since our Anthem cruise. Hope you are both well.

You should have gone to Mexico and then walked over the US border. They would have given you healthcare, welfare, and allowed you to vote.;)

Well, no, I wouldn't give this the Best Post award. IMHO it is an unnecessary injection of US politics into an otherwise useful discussion about Customs procedures.

Perhaps my sensitivity stems from having relatives who legally entered the US from Mexico.

And before anyone goes there, let me beat you to it. Regardless of what one posts, someone's going to not agree. In this case it was me.

I respect Bob and appreciate his timely accurate information. Just not this time.

Meanwhile..... Back to the topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case it helps someone who is planning a flight right after getting off the ship, I wanted to add my experience with getting off the Liberty once we reached Port in Galveston.

We opted for a late disembarkation time. We were given number 24 and left our rooms a little after 9am (poor room attendants were trying to get in and things cleaned up for the next cruise). As per the information we had received the night before, we went to the Star lounge with a proposed disembarkation of 10-15am. That all went smoothly and in fact, around 9:45 they were telling everyone that they could get off the ship.

We walked to the 1st floor and off the ship and found our luggage all within 10 minutes. Easy peasy. We then joined a pretty fast moving line that was aiming into the area where the Customs officers were. Again, everything was moving along very speedily. A lady who works there just kept shouting loudly for all US citizens to move along and feed into lines 1-8 to go through customs. I'm not a US citizen. The 3 children with me are and I have my green card, but a British passport. So I asked her where do you go if you're not a US citizen (because she wasn't saying anything about that only 'All US citizens go to lines 1-8) and she directed us to a separate line, where we stood...and stood.. and stood. In 45 minutes we moved maybe 15 feet. The family in front of me were also mostly US citizens but were travelling with some in-laws who, like me, had their green cards and were legal permanent residents but were not citizens. The gentlemen asked several people who worked there why people with green cards had to go in the lines with people who were neither US citizens nor permanent residents and each time was told that was the way it was.

I've traveled in and out of the country extensively by car and air but not by sea and have never had to stand in a line like this. The entire ship had disembarked and we had still only moved maybe 30 feet ... and had about 100 feet more to go. They had 2 lanes open and it was unbelievable how slowly they moved. Finally, about 15 minutes after lines 1-8 had been empty, they opened them to us and of course everyone from the back of the line surged forward to the empty lanes. The entire process took 1 hour and 50 minutes and we only had to move about 100 feet. Once at the customs desk they checked everyone's passport and facial features and fingerprinted me (not my US children). But this is what had been taking so long. The fingerprint scanner wasn't very efficient and it took 3 attempts to get mine to read right. My kids were pretty fed up with me (mum, you've been here since 1990, why aren't you a citizen? Mum, can we go through the US line and wait for you outside? Whhhyyyy aren't you a citizen?) I felt like I could have applied for citizenship in the time it took to get through that line. It's sort of becoming incentive for me before I go on my cruise next October :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wanted to forewarn everyone who is not, or is travelling with someone who is not, a US citizen that this may be a problem for you if you book a flight out of town too soon after you plan on getting off the ship!

They must have ben using the same lousy fingerprinting scanner as in Newark Liberty airport when I applied for my Global Entry. It took some 4 tries sometimes told to press lightly and other times to press hard. With current technology I could not understand. Then I was told that it was not necessary to carry the GE card as the data is incorporated in my passport. Tried only passport in FLL and I got laughed at. Thank God my wife had the letter of acceptance, otherwise we would have to join the tremendous snaking lines that are prevalent in FLL.

Hi Dani & Mick, how quickly a year has gone since our Anthem cruise. Hope you are both well.

Indeed. An amazing cruise, where I've met some "Brits" whom I remember fondly :):)

Funny how we "found" ourselves posting on the same thread :D

Kev, did u manage to "assemble" the video where Den and I r "starring" on the I-fly? I'd very much like to have a copy, and warmest regards to Den.

Thanks, Dani

Well, no, I wouldn't give this the Best Post award. IMHO it is an unnecessary injection of US politics into an otherwise useful discussion about Customs procedures.

Perhaps my sensitivity stems from having relatives who legally entered the US from Mexico.

And before anyone goes there, let me beat you to it. Regardless of what one posts, someone's going to not agree. In this case it was me.

I respect Bob and appreciate his timely accurate information. Just not this time.

Meanwhile..... Back to the topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your two cents worth with regards to Bob's comments. People hate the truth and need everything sugar coated. Your relatives are the few amongst many who are not legal.

I have found the "non RC" port staff at PE and Miami to be the most hostile and rude. One can get more wirh honey than with vinegar.

Their behavior was so bad I sit, pause and consider any other options of FLORIDA departures. PORT STAFF in Canaveral or TAMPA seem to understand proper people skills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Travelling on non EU passports, we just walked off the QM2 at Southampton after a transAtlantic from New York. As a previous poster has mentioned, passenger information is available electronically so it should not be a problem for the authorities to scan passenger lists and identify those requiring further checks. Shouldn't be...but...??

Indeed. An amazing cruise, where I've met some "Brits" whom I remember fondly :):)

Funny how we "found" ourselves posting on the same thread :D

Kev, did u manage to "assemble" the video where Den and I r "starring" on the I-fly? I'd very much like to have a copy, and warmest regards to Den.

Thanks, Dani

Hi Dani, I'm afraid we didn't take the video, a cruise friend did. They sent me a link to view it after the cruise but unfortunately I don't have the link or their contact details I'm afraid . Very sorry. Den says Hi!

I find CBP for non us to be hit and miss . California ports require every one to be cleared on the ship before anyone is allowed off. Line ups are long. Hawaii has progressive clearance where once you clear you can get off and staggered times that keeps lines short. There is also more officers for non us then us is there are lots pf non us onboard. Terminal 2 in port Everglades no one in the non us line. Terminal 24 has no separate line. Terminal 18 actually has 3 signs. Us citizens. Non US and Canadians. The Canadian one has a arrow that can face ether toward the US Or non us line. If the non us line gets to long. They will have the Canadians use the us citizen line. We were in line when the arrow was changed and they were moving Canadians over. They only had 2 officers for non us.

They are also the cause of the boarding issues in Vancouver every may. Global entry and Nexus are also available at Canada place in Vancouver

Edited by sergeant655

No immigration/customs when we disembarked. But was asked on embarkation to leave our US passport with check-in staff and given back a few days before disembarking.

Ok......I'm a bit lost. Cruised twice in the past year and a half.....once out of Boston and once out of San Juan. I'm not a US citizen (Canadian) but they didnt finger print us. US customs came aboard the ship in Boston to clear non-US citizens. In San Juan we were just in a line - dont recall one for non-US. Have things changed since February??? Or is it certain ports? Or was it because we were flying or driving back to Canada the same day???? (As I look at my fingers and wonder if I've been doing too much cleaning.... )

Edited by Shih-tzu

Wow this is really interesting, I guess we will find out what happens to us Brits soon, we were thinking of a transatlantic next year USA-uk so i guess no issues there!! See you all on Sunday.... Just to confirm we are meeting after muster drill? Is it sky bar? Cheers safe travels/flights everyone x

Wow this is really interesting, I guess we will find out what happens to us Brits soon, we were thinking of a transatlantic next year USA-uk so i guess no issues there!! See you all on Sunday.... Just to confirm we are meeting after muster drill? Is it sky bar? Cheers safe travels/flights everyone x

You'll be ok on the way back but will still have to deal with those usually horrendous queues in USA, especially if you are flying into Miami. Still I guess that the price we Brits pay to cruise!!! LOL

I'm going on Nos in November from Southampton to Miami all us ports. Would I have to go through go through customs and immigration again in Miami? my flight is 1pm on the day we disembark.

Not Royal but X TA 2013. One of our ports was St Thomas (USVI), immigration on St Thomas was a pain but we just breezed through on arrival in Miami. Quick, easy, painless. We pretty much just walked through immigration, just a quick passport check. If I remember correctly, we must have been of the ship around 8 / 8.30.

We are on a 5pm flight this year. I am still worried :p I am a worrywart. Can't help it.

I'm a bit confused, which many will say is normal for me, but I read on another thread about Enchantment, with stops in Bahamas and then Key West. The OP indicated that all cruisers had to check in, in the theater, before 1000 on they day they docked in Key West, because they had docked in the Bahamas. OP indicated their was a huge fine if one failed to check in and detainment in their cabin?

So, help me with this... we are traveling on Enchantment with similar stops, will we need to go through this for Key West, and could we be delayed for disembarkation?

Thanks

Would suspect that what you have to do at Key West would be determined by your cruise/order of the ports. If its anything like Canada you have to clear customs at the 1st port of entry after visiting another country So probably PR and USVI are considered US ports so thats why someone said St Thomas was difficult but Miami was easy...because St Thomas was 1st stop back in a US Territory????? So if you go to PR, St Thomas or Key West 1st on your cruise theres no customs.......???? Seems like a logical explanation but thwn again my brain has been known to wander sometimes.....

Would suspect that what you have to do at Key West would be determined by your cruise/order of the ports. If its anything like Canada you have to clear customs at the 1st port of entry after visiting another country So probably PR and USVI are considered US ports so thats why someone said St Thomas was difficult but Miami was easy...because St Thomas was 1st stop back in a US Territory????? So if you go to PR, St Thomas or Key West 1st on your cruise theres no customs.......???? Seems like a logical explanation but thwn again my brain has been known to wander sometimes.....

The order is Coco Cay, Nassau, and then Key West, leaving from Miami.

The order is Coco Cay, Nassau, and then Key West, leaving from Miami.

I'm guessing you will have to do the customs thing in the theatre then.......1st point of re-entry.........but probably wont have to do customs in Miami? Come back after your wonderful vacation and let us know. Have a great cruise!!

• 4 weeks later...

As promised, I'm reporting on my experience debarkation at Galvestion on the Sept 25 - Oct 1 itinerary. We were on the 10th floor, so we had the 7:20-7:50 window for self assist. My 4 y/o was in the stroller, I had the baby strapped to me in a carrier and my husband managed our 2 rollers. We got on on elevator at 7:30 to get to our meeting place in the 4th floor Platinum theater. Once we stepped off the elevator, we could see there was already a line forming. We got in the line, and didn't stop walking until we walked off the ship, down the ramp and into the customs line. The mean old barking lady (those who have embarked in Galveston know who I'm taking about) asked us if we had passports, I told them yes, but I'm Canadian and the kids and husband are American. She said just get in the main line. So we did. Once we got to the point where they send us to a custom agent, they told us we should be in the international line. But, they let us to go to the front of that line. Honestly, that customs agent was the nicest I've ever come across, and I've crossed many dozens of times. He was so friendly and sweet, especially to the kids.

I also didn't have to get finger printed, since I'm a green card holder. So in total, we got in the elevator at 7:30, and were in our car at the EZ cruise lot at 9:10. Not too shabby, and the baby fell asleep in her carrier so it all worked out. Also, the international line was shorter when we first got to customs, so it might have been a shorter wait had the mean lady told us the correct info.