Using computers but not internet in iLounge.

Fjord4Fun

Is it possible to use the computers in the iLounge on Celebrity to connect an SD card reader and hard drive to back up camera images? If so do they charge. I read elsewhere that their computers do not have USB ports but I guess the writer was not familiar with where the ports are on iMacs.

I'd ask Celebrity this but (a) they would take 2 weeks to answer and (b) from experience their answer would most likely be wrong.

Is it possible to use the computers in the iLounge on Celebrity to connect an SD card reader and hard drive to back up camera images? If so do they charge. I read elsewhere that their computers do not have USB ports but I guess the writer was not familiar with where the ports are on iMacs.

I'd ask Celebrity this but (a) they would take 2 weeks to answer and (b) from experience their answer would most likely be wrong.

Never used the service but the photo department used to put SD card photos onto CDs.

Pending on when your cruise is, two (2) weeks is not a long time considering, and this is a case where they would answer correctly 100% of the time, no you cannot attach any external device to their computers...

As such, the premise that the poster, to whom you refer, knew the essential information and answer regardless of knowing where or what usb ports are, I believe.

bon voyage

FWIW I change the SD cards in my camera almost every day so if something happens I have the pictures safe in my cabin.

SD cards are cheap, bring lots. Don't use the same one the whole cruise.

stock-vector-camera-falls-into-the-water-368191250.jpg

Oh ya... I also have a blue tooth camera and back-up pics

Edited by A Sixth?

I agree!

When I was still using a digital camera, I took enough cards (or so I thought) for each port on our Mediterranean cruise. I would take the cards out of the camera each day and place them in a baggie inside the safe. Once we hit the last port or call in Naples, I had run out of cards. :eek: I reused one, and then when in Positano, I bought another for around 2 euro from a side street vendor.

If you are able to use the photography services to copy your photos to a CD, make sure that you test it for completion before erasing your card files. I learned that lesson the hard way. :( However, I do not believe that the photography department offers that service anymore.

FWIW I change the SD cards in my camera almost every day so if something happens I have the pictures safe in my cabin.

SD cards are cheap, bring lots. Don't use the same one the whole cruise.

stock-vector-camera-falls-into-the-water-368191250.jpg

Oh ya... I also have a blue tooth camera and back-up pics

I think that is the best current strategy. Get a bunch of cards. They have become cheap. I also backup my cards to my iPad.

Edited by Charles4515

They will occasionally allow a flash drive. I checked in for my departing flight online on my laptop, but couldn't print boarding pass. I saved it to a flash drive, and the iLounge plugged it into one of the laptops and printed out the pass. The photo shop might save them to a flash drive for you...EM

I think that is the best current strategy. Get a bunch of cards. They have become cheap. I also backup my cards to my iPad.

I too will be using several cards over the 30 days holiday but I'm really looking for a secondary backup. How do you get images to your Pad from an SD card? Any recommendations?

Think about it for a minute. People connecting to their computers with external devices could install malware in a flash. It's good that they've thought about this possibility and disabled the USB ports on their computers.

We are talking iMacs though, so no viruses and for any malware to have any effect you need to be logged in as Admin rather than guest so I don't see that as an issue.

Pending on when your cruise is, two (2) weeks is not a long time considering, and this is a case where they would answer correctly 100% of the time, no you cannot attach any external device to their computers...

As such, the premise that the poster, to whom you refer, knew the essential information and answer regardless of knowing where or what usb ports are, I believe.

bon voyage

Hi, I would seriously reconsider re-using any company that takes 14 days to answer a customer query, but once Celebrity have answered my latest query (sent to them on 3rd September) I'll try this one on them. Hopefully things are better handled in the US, but in the UK they severely cut back on their customer support, the result of which has been a much reduced standard of service. As to their knowing the answers, well, they are unable to give a definitive answer regarding a simple visa question, cannot tell me anything about changeover day on a B2B cruise that would allow me to plan anything in advance for that day and totally ignore waitlist requests.

We still love the actual Celebrity cruise experience though in spite of there poor service at times :)

I too will be using several cards over the 30 days holiday but I'm really looking for a secondary backup. How do you get images to your Pad from an SD card? Any recommendations?

I transfer my images with Apple's Lighting to SD Card Reader. They sell it for $29. The transfer is very fast. They also have a Lightning to USB camera cable but I prefer the SD Card Reader.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

I transfer my images with Apple's Lighting to SD Card Reader. They sell it for $29. The transfer is very fast. They also have a Lightning to USB camera cable but I prefer the SD Card Reader.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

Thanks Charles. Reading the blurb implies that it's a one way transfer: SD card > ipad/iphone. Can you reassure me that it works the other way too? and if so is it intuitive in use?

Thanks Charles. Reading the blurb implies that it's a one way transfer: SD card > ipad/iphone. Can you reassure me that it works the other way too? and if so is it intuitive in use?

I import them from my iPad to my computer when I get home by connecting the USB/Lighting cable. I have a Mac, so the Photos app will launch and I can import to that. Or if you don't use the Photos app there is an app on the Mac called Image Capture. Launch that and you can import into folders. If you have a Windows PC you would transfer to that with the cable but you would have to google for the details since I don't know them for Windows.

If you buy the reader do some practice dry runs at home. I think you will find it easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I import them from my iPad to my computer when I get home by connecting the USB/Lighting cable. I have a Mac, so the Photos app will launch and I can import to that. Or if you don't use the Photos app there is an app on the Mac called Image Capture. Launch that and you can import into folders. If you have a Windows PC you would transfer to that with the cable but you would have to google for the details since I don't know them for Windows.

If you buy the reader do some practice dry runs at home. I think you will find it easy.

I think I've decided on getting a wireless external hard drive, perhaps the Toshiba Canvio AeroCast, but so that I'm sure I've covered all options can the Apple cable definitely be used to copy photos FROM an iPhone to an SD card?

Hi, I would seriously reconsider re-using any company that takes 14 days to answer a customer query, but once Celebrity have answered my latest query (sent to them on 3rd September) I'll try this one on them. Hopefully things are better handled in the US, but in the UK they severely cut back on their customer support, the result of which has been a much reduced standard of service. As to their knowing the answers, well, they are unable to give a definitive answer regarding a simple visa question, cannot tell me anything about changeover day on a B2B cruise that would allow me to plan anything in advance for that day and totally ignore waitlist requests.

We still love the actual Celebrity cruise experience though in spite of there poor service at times :)

f4f - I understand your dismay at any company who takes 14 days to respond.

Pending on when my cruise is and how critical the questions is, will determine when and how to follow up, if necessary.

As for the 'simple visa question', on X's U.S. website there is a detailed section about Visa's and on the UK site, they advance the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) webpage as the source for additional Visa information. I do not or would not expect any agent to know all of the in's and out's of Visas as there are too many variables, as such we are directed to further resources.

We, the passengers, are responsible for our travel documents, including passports for any international travel.

At any rate, enjoy your next sailing and I trust all of your questions will be answered in a timely manner...

bon voyage

I think I've decided on getting a wireless external hard drive, perhaps the Toshiba Canvio AeroCast, but so that I'm sure I've covered all options can the Apple cable definitely be used to copy photos FROM an iPhone to an SD card?

You can only transfer photos from the SD card to the iPhone, not the other way around.

As far as a wireless external drive if you decide to go that route you might also look into the wireless Western Digital Passport Drive that has a SD card reader. Some friends of mine have been using those.

Edited by Charles4515

You can only transfer photos from the SD card to the iPhone, not the other way around.

As far as a wireless external drive if you decide to go that route you might also look into the wireless Western Digital Passport Drive that has a SD card reader. Some friends of mine have been using those.

Thanks for the update. I hadn't seen the WD one with an SD card reader so I obviously need to look a bit harder. Too hot here today to concentrate and we're not used to this sort of weather in Yorkshire :)

That is one of the reasons that I have never bought an Apple product. It is easy to do with almost all Android phones. You transfer the photos from the SD card to the phone and then transfer from the phone to a flash drive for backup purposes. Apple seems to think that they know what we want and need better than we do. I wonder how many people know that they do not want to be able to use their plug in headphones with the latest supposed improvement of the iPhone.

That said, lots of people buy Apple so they must be doing something right.

DON

That is one of the reasons that I have never bought an Apple product. It is easy to do with almost all Android phones. You transfer the photos from the SD card to the phone and then transfer from the phone to a flash drive for backup purposes. Apple seems to think that they know what we want and need better than we do. I wonder how many people know that they do not want to be able to use their plug in headphones with the latest supposed improvement of the iPhone.

That said, lots of people buy Apple so they must be doing something right.

DON

Let's not get into a stupid discussion of Apple versus Android. As you say there is a reason lots of people buy Apple. This is not the place for that discussion.

However to correct you the new iPhone 7 comes with plug in headphones and an adapter to use other headphones. Most use the headphones that ship with their phones. Wireless is the way to go anyway and my other headphones are all bluetooth. Also the first phones that have shipped without the plug in analog headphone ports were Android phones and the certainly other Android manufacturers will be eliminating the analog port. Rumors are already abounding that Samsung will have their own proprietary headphone port.

Edited by Charles4515

Since you seem to know so much about Apple and the iPhone , do you know when the new iPhone 7 is coming out? I'd love to have the new cell before my upcoming cruise. Although I get real good travel photos (fine enough for me ;))the new camera sounds better than on my I-6S.

Since you seem to know so much about Apple and the iPhone , do you know when the new iPhone 7 is coming out? I'd love to have the new cell before my upcoming cruise. Although I get real good travel photos (fine enough for me ;))the new camera sounds better than on my I-6S.

It will be released this Friday to the stores but I have no guess of how much stock they will have on hand in the stores immediately. There is a theory that demand may be higher because some of the many people who have to return their possibly exploding Samsung Note 7's may decide to get iPhones. I am not a fan of lining up at the stores hoping they have stock on the release day so I did an online pre order last Friday when they opened up preorders, so mine will be delivered to me Friday. I think the current online orders are not shipping until October so finding them in stock in the stores might be the only way to get one before your upcoming cruise.

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you! I will run by my Verizon tomorrow. They owe me for a snafu the other day, so perhaps they would hold one for me. ;)

Hope your Verizon store will have some. My experience when the 6 came out and I was traveling was that no Verizon store had any stock. I managed to snag one at the Apple store in Charleston, SC on the very last day of the free upgrade offer.