Ocean Cay Opening Delayed Until October 2018

Mikesa1721

I think the problem goes a bit deeper. MSC Cruises USA has its own executive team. They are here to market, handle PR, take sales, and manage the North American operation which is growing. I'm rather certain they find themselves in an awkward position, trying to manage North American expectations and run an operation but being held back by MSC hierarchy in Switzerland. It's never good being given a job but not the empowerment to actually do it well. It's along the same lines that they know what works and is successful for a ship operating out of Miami, but MSC in Europe blocks many of their attempts to change the onboard product to better suit its market. This I know for a fact. Both Sasso and Muskat come from very successful cruise industry backgrounds, having held leadership roles at the cruise industries leading brands. They know what they are doing, but in many respects their hands are tired and they are helpless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have to agree with you there having seen it first hand, they brought a guy from Princess as the CD to Divina and then tied his hands behind his back leaving him unable to do his job properly.

But they really do need to get their act together where releasing information is concerned, that is how you end up with one guy saying abandon ship and another saying bring $5 were going to a dance!

Have you seen the latest picture in the renderings thread ?

According to a Travel Weekly article yesterday, MSC has stated that Eastern Caribbean itineraries will now visit St Maarten, San Juan, and St Thomas until May 2018 when Ocean Cay is scheduled to open. Western Caribbean itineraries will visit Nassau instead of Ocean Cay with the remainder of the itinerary unchanged.

No Nassau at all now on the initial Eastern itineraries? That would suit us just fine, I'd much rather visit St Thomas than Nassau. We booked knowing Nassau is on the itinerary, but don't really care much for Nassau. But we've booked for the ship, not the ports. So any ports will do.

It is strange they havent said anything to us that were booked on seaside with ocean cay on it.my cruise on the map of the cruise still shows ocean cay but in the itenerary says nassau 10_ 6.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

I'm booked for 2/10/18 and the itinerary has been changed to reflect that we are not going to the private island....they substituted Nassau.

The second week, they substituted Freeport for the island AND they also changed St. Thomas to St Maarten. :confused:

Edited by suzyed

Mark and John ... Nassau is still on the December 23rd sailing! it was moved in May from Thursday to Sunday 24th and is now on Friday 29th.

The itinerary posted on the roll call is still not yet set in stone so expect that it may well change again.

It is very rare that things ever gets done on time in the islands. Not just MSC- but ncl is also behind schedule with great stirrup cay. I wouldn't count on ocean cat opening anytime in 2018 and mid-2019 is even a stretch.

With that being said I would never pick a cruise based on one port- especially an out island in the Bahamas. Even when ocean cay opens it wouldn't surprise me if it gets missed quite regularly due to sea conditions. Have you guys seen where this island is located? Google map it- right along side a Rift Valley smack in the middle of the channel. Looks nice and sandy though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even when ocean cay opens it wouldn't surprise me if it gets missed quite regularly due to sea conditions.
Besides hurricane type conditions, the only time a port is bypassed because of bad sea conditions is if tendering could not happen. Since Ocean Cay does not need tenders, why do you think it would possibly be missed regularly?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app