Ocean Cay Opening Delayed Until October 2018

Mikesa1721

this is the third out of four bookings with msc, where they change the itinerary (partly or in whole) and I am the last to know, only being informed via cruisecritic. and I know of many others who experienced the same. You have to book years ahead of the sailing if

you want to get a decent yc cabin, so you apparently have to expect changes. This has never happened to me with X or TUI. enough said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of quick trigger fingers on the "I'm going to cancel side". The trip is more than a year away, give them some time, who knows what they may come up with.
After sailing the Caribbean over 20+ times, the only port that would make sense geographically and also interest me would be Cuba. Once bookings open for late 2018/early 2019, I may switch, but only if my current promotion and rate are intact. That's the least they can do for the logistical and public relations nightmare they now have on their hands.

Since our cruise is not scheduled until Feb 2018, I will wait to see what shakes out with the itinerary before getting upset. Right now, itinerary was listed as St. Thomas, then Nassau, then Ocean Cay. I can't imagine that we will spend two days in Nassau instead, and am sure that they will have to take a look at those same itineraries before coming to a final decision. Still lots of time to see what happens before I make a decision about this booking.

After sailing the Caribbean over 20+ times, the only port that would make sense geographically and also interest me would be Cuba. Once bookings open for late 2018/early 2019, I may switch, but only if my current promotion and rate are intact. That's the least they can do for the logistical and public relations nightmare they now have on their hands.

Cuba wouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't mind making a stop there and picking up a box or two of cigars (are Cuban cigars allowed in the USA yet?)

I'm booked on the Jamaica, Cayman, Mexico, Private Island cruise and another option that I wouldn't mind would be stopping in Puerto Rico first or Turks.

imo if they don't want to lose a lot of bookings they have to chose a rare/stellar destination, not sN juan again or st. martin. Haiti would be among my first choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Other than Royal Caribbean's cruise port in Labadee, is there even a port in Haiti?

No, there isn't another port in Haiti.

Thank you. That's what I thought. Although we love Labadee, this is one Island I would NOT want to visit. It is the poorest and most poverty stricken country in the western hemisphere. It would be too heart breaking for me. :(

Edited by champagne123
sssss

There is actually a port in Haiti but it was only used for the delivery of Freight until the Earth quake hit and destroyed it, RCI and a few others delivered much needed food etc to Labadee which was then taken by road to the Capital.

With regard to the Seaside changes, I had this email from MSC UK yesterday.

Thank you for your email.

We are going to have information in regards to the changes today.

Will get in contact with you as soon as possible.

An email with any changes will be forwarded to you. I am afraid we have only received official communications today and this is why we have not informed you any earlier.

Please bear with us until we have all the information in regards to it.

I really hate sounding like Susy Negative but I think I was chastised for mentioned this likelihood several months ago:(. For what it's worth, an October opening would surprise me greatly as would an on-time opening of MSC private island planned for Sir Bani Yas. I know I'm going to get the firing squad for this one, but i'm going out on a limb to suggest that several of the new builds planned won't ever float either :(.

It's one thing to plan on taking over the entire cruise industry. It's another to actually do it. Largest privately owned shipping company in the world or not, an unrealistic business plan is a bad business.

I'm not a MSC hater, as I enjoyed the product very much and sailed her twice in the last 5 months. MSC provides a great VALUE cruise, but she still has a way to go to compete seriously in the US market dollar to dollar (imho).

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I'm probably going to cancel too. Just waiting for where they're going. Supposed to know soon. What a fiasco.As has been said before, the date was probably to encourage bookings, which worked, but how many customers are they going to lose permanently because of this? I could see a couple of months delay, but 10 months is ridiculous, with no guaranty that it will be ready then.It's like throw enough against the wall and hope most of it sticks.

We booked the Seaside sailing for the ship, not the ports, so while it would have been nice to see their new private island, no matter where it ends up going we'll still keep the sailing.

We might not be sailing on the Seaside after all, though, if they delay the completion of the ship itself, as we're on the first revenue sailing out of Miami (Dec 23, 2017). In that case we'd be bummed! :D

Regarding the Sir Bani Yas resort, as I understand it this is not being developed by MSC or any other cruise line. It will be run by the Abu Dhabi port authority and cruise lines including MSC and Costa will have full access to it once a week on separate days. The day for MSC use is Monday, every week for the 2016/2017 winter cruise season. The main island of Sir Bani Yas is fully operational with hotels, safari rides, animal kingdom, etc.