Gratuities

What I find strange is if I go over there and say "Hey I remove all tips" I will be called all sorts of names, but then some of the same people are over there talking about how to avoid $1 a day extra, can anyone spell H.Y.P.O.C.R.I.S.Y.

I spell good.:cool:

BTW, I studied for over 6 years and at the end I took an Hypocritic oaf.

To lunch.:p

That thought occurred to me also. :D If they feel that removing all tips is "stiffing the crew", then surely, trying to pay a lesser amount is also stiffing the crew - although to a lesser degree. :D

By the way, I believe that passengers should pay the auto-tips on ships where this operates because the waiters/stewards' pay scale is set on the assumption they will also get part of the tips pool.

Some of these people who remove the auto tips, know better than everyone else so that they tip who they want and how much they want.

My statement to them is 'Even if you are spending more, you are still stiffing some of the people who would have got part of the auto tips'

Some of these people who remove the auto tips, know better than everyone else so that they tip who they want and how much they want.

My statement to them is 'Even if you are spending more, you are still stiffing some of the people who would have got part of the auto tips'

Yes, although many people may not care if the Maitre d' or Head Waiters don't get their proportion of the tip pool.

Years ago, one CD released information on where the tips go: one third to the table waiters, one third to the cabin stewards, and the remainder divided between other waitstaff, the Maitre d' and head waiters.

Yes, although many people may not care if the Maitre d' or Head Waiters don't get their proportion of the tip pool.

Years ago, one CD released information on where the tips go: one third to the table waiters, one third to the cabin stewards, and the remainder divided between other waitstaff, the Maitre d' and head waiters.

Seems to contradict the claims on other threads about part going to the laundry staff etc.

On Celebrity there was list of the breakdown in the cabin and other waitstaff, etc weren't mentioned it was so much to steward ($4) assist and steward ($2.50) waiter ($3.50) assistant waiter ($2.95). The actual numbers may have varied slightly but added up to the daily total and never mentioned any of those you don't see.

Maybe someone else has the exact numbers.

Seems to contradict the claims on other threads about part going to the laundry staff etc.

On Celebrity there was list of the breakdown in the cabin and other waitstaff, etc weren't mentioned it was so much to steward ($4) assist and steward ($2.50) waiter ($3.50) assistant waiter ($2.95). The actual numbers may have varied slightly but added up to the daily total and never mentioned any of those you don't see.

A lot of people seem to think the crew don't get anything. That's why they remove the tips and tip individually.

Definitely but perhaps in another restaurant, somewhere a bit quieter and less like a food court and more like fine dining - say the MDR.;)

Depending on the ship, I might even spring for a specialty (if I've got a stack of OBC):p

Or even the burger bar;)

From the Celebrity website's FAQs-

A: For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

$12.95 per person, per day in standard accommodations ($13.50 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

$13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms ($14.00 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

$16.45 per person, per day in suites ($17.00 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience. At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account. An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

From Celebrity's website's FAQs -

A: For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

$12.95 per person, per day in standard accommodations ($13.50 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

$13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms ($14.00 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

$16.45 per person, per day in suites ($17.00 for cruises departing on or after July 1, 2016)

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience. At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account. An 18% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

Talk about a demographic group being so hung-up on such a simple thing, is quite frankly disgusting ,and maybe indicative of the mind-set of a certain group, population ,or culture.

Everyone trying to show-pony and out-do each other and justify their own reasons and actions, whilst calling others, into disrepute.

I once read a post which was so disrespectful and condemning Australians, over this very issue.

I wanted, and I think I have said quite a few times, Why is it then, that the crew are happy when cruising aussie waters.NO ANSWER.

Why did one of the barmen say he was buying his 3rd house for his family.NO ANSWER.

From bullying new posters, to abusing people, to ridiculing people, to ignoring people, its the same people over,and over and over again, and nothing is done.

from Princess's website's FAQs -

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $13.95 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $12.95 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children). Effective on voyages departing on or after December 15, 2016, the gratuity charge will be $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges and dining room wine accounts.

Pretty sure Asst Maitre d' was part of the old distribution of Celebrity too.

Some will be more visible than others, but they make sure the dining staff work smoothly, so ideally if your dining experience is good they've done a good job. If service is slow, the crew isn't happy, it can be because they haven't done such a good job...

Laundry staff are not 'service staff' so are not part of the tipping structure. Only certain staff get tips, others like the captain! are in jobs where tips are not part of their remuneration structure.

Talk about a demographic group being so hung-up on such a simple thing, is quite frankly disgusting ,and maybe indicative of the mind-set of a certain group, population ,or culture.

Everyone trying to show-pony and out-do each other and justify their own reasons and actions, whilst calling others, into disrepute.

I once read a post which was so disrespectful and condemning Australians, over this very issue.

I wanted, and I think I have said quite a few times, Why is it then, that the crew are happy when cruising aussie waters.NO ANSWER.

Why did one of the barmen say he was buying his 3rd house for his family.NO ANSWER.

From bullying new posters, to abusing people, to ridiculing people, to ignoring people, its the same people over,and over and over again, and nothing is done.

But you missed the real good one if memory serves, she was fun.

Got banned I think.

Pretty sure Asst Maitre d' was part of the old distribution of Celebrity too.

Some will be more visible than others, but they make sure the dining staff work smoothly, so ideally if your dining experience is good they've done a good job. If service is slow, the crew isn't happy, it can be because they haven't done such a good job...

Laundry staff are not 'service staff' so are not part of the tipping structure. Only certain staff get tips, others like the captain! are in jobs where tips are not part of their remuneration structure.

I think you may be right about the matey d.

But my point is on "other" tipping threads laundry staff are trotted out every second day as one of the group you're "stiffing".

Personally I like the way Princess do it, or even Celebrity with their near compulsory pre pay when sailing here.

Agreed, I just wish it was just rolled into the advertised fare at the beginning of a booking process as well.

Yeah aproblem with Celebrity, and NCL at least, prices seem to jump all over the place as they add this that and the other.