Gratuities

a little 'bit' off the gratuities tag..... but sticking with the extras....

with RCL.... we're off to Vietnam in a few weeks (HK to Singapore on the Voyager) - and I emailed them a week or so ago about the 'visa' cost....

... two emails back saying that 'someone' is looking at it.. and nothing since. A simple question not answered.

... and news stories that the cost is $U5 from Vietnam sources.... one HOPES that RCL aren't going to take us for a ride on this !!! (anyone on what the actual visa cost is - considering we are returning to the ship each night ???)(

I do not know what the situation is for cruises, but we will be going to Vietnam in October/ November for a 2 week tour and our visas were $85 AUD per person.

shireboi, believe or not some of us actually enjoy the RC experience and are aware and accept the model on how it works - cruisefare, T&G's, US$ onboard, dining options, additional costs for 'not-included' options, no self-serve laundries etc.

I have travelled a lot to Vietnam (not cruising) - a single entry visa was $65, and I had to arrange myself, or PAY a TA to do it ie ferry my passport to & fro.

You seem to suggest that RC should be offering a 'Formula 1' hotel type option to suit you. That is not the RC model, nor indeed any of the cruiselines that I am aware of. Yes, on some the cruisefare 'includes' service charges, but you still can't get a discount by making your own bed.

You have chosen the wrong cruiseline. I would cut my losses and cancel, as you seem determined not to have a good time.

I do not know what the situation is for cruises, but we will be going to Vietnam in October/ November for a 2 week tour and our visas were $85 AUD per person.

i've found this

http://www.vietnamvisaonentry.com/vietnam-visa-guide/reducing-visa-fee-for-cruise-ship-passengers-from-45-to-5-per-pax/

http://english.thesaigontimes.vn/38943/Visa-fee-for-cruise-passengers-back-to-US$5-per-pax.html

anyway - see what happens :)

(and will update this site accordingly !)

You have chosen the wrong cruiseline. I would cut my losses and cancel, as you seem determined not to have a good time.

please don't advise me on 'what' to do or what I will find 'good' or not - I find that rather rude and poor forum to do that on a forum (as well as the word YOU several times !) - aren't consumers allowed to have a view or opinion anymore ?

Edited by shireboi

please don't advise me on 'what' to do or what I will find 'good' or not - I find that rather rude to do that on a forum

Hey that's funny - must be a glitch on the forum software. When I clicked "quote" to reply, it brought up the whole pre-edited response you wrote & not the one that appeared when you posted. I have now edited it to match.

Anyway, clearly we have nothing of interest to one another so I'll move on - I will see more more of your posts.

with RCL.... we're off to Vietnam in a few weeks (HK to Singapore on the Voyager) - and I emailed them a week or so ago about the 'visa' cost....

... two emails back saying that 'someone' is looking at it.. and nothing since. A simple question not answered.

I wouldn't say it is simple. This is not administered here, so they wouldn't have information on it. They would have to reach out to the relevant person, may not have direct details, and with time zones and different leave arrangements may take time to get a reply.

... and news stories that the cost is $U5 from Vietnam sources.... one HOPES that RCL aren't going to take us for a ride on this !!! (anyone on what the actual visa cost is - considering we are returning to the ship each night ???)(

If it's any better deal than doing it yourself, especially as you're saving a lot of time and hassle as well, it'd be beneficial to you.

Visa arrangements are not the responsibility of the cruise line though in limited ports they can arrange visas as well, but if so, it doesn't mean that they have to do the work for free, since it's extra work for them.

shireboi, believe or not some of us actually enjoy the RC experience and are aware and accept the model on how it works - cruisefare, T&G's, US$ onboard, dining options, additional costs for 'not-included' options, no self-serve laundries etc.

Totally agree. I love sailing on Royal, I also enjoy sailing on carnival and others.

I appreciate each Line in different ways, But I always respect the rules and ways of doing things of each Line.

When I price a cruise with Royal, I always price up fare, grats, etc, and even convert $ if booking overseas. Then I know the true total cost and decide from there whether to book or not.

I cannot believe how many people get there knickers all in a knot about the way Royal do things, eg Grats. There are other options out there!

No different than flying with Qantas & Jetstar. Both will get you from A to B, just a different process of booking and flight experience!

a little 'bit' off the gratuities tag..... but sticking with the extras....

RCL charged us $5 USD last year when we stopped in Vietnam on Quantum.

On our QM2 cruise 2 March, Syd-HK, Cunard quotes US$31 as the on board visa fee. So am I right in reading it has reduced to $5 ? another couple of G & T's pleesh, Mr Waiter.

RCL charged us $5 USD last year when we stopped in Vietnam on Quantum.

your answer.. since you are stopping in HCMC as well.... and many thanks to woodyren ... and there's a few more G&Ts to spare !!!

If you want some entertainment, go over to Princess board and read the ding dong battle on the latest Gratuity thread. I ran out of popcorn.

was gratuity 'added' to that popcorn ???? :)

Edited by shireboi

Funnily enough 'Karateman' came to mind when I read 'Shireboi's posts!

Obviously we ALL have opinions - can you maybe keep the name calling down a bit.

I come into various forums on various topics to find info, learn info, and provide stuff that I know of ... but when they get into 'naming' - then it becomes a bit like Whirlpool - where it becomes easy just to give up - due to their over-moderation !!

Edited by shireboi

Obviously we ALL have opinions - can you maybe keep the name calling down a bit.

I come into various forums on various topics to find info, learn info, and provide stuff that I know of ... but when they get into 'naming' - then it becomes a bit like Whirlpool - where it becomes easy just to give up - due to their over-moderation !!

I wouldn't say Whirlpool is over moderated. It just has a clear list of rules and deletions are visible - whereas on many forums posts get mysteriously deleted but there's no visibility so unless you already read the thread and remember all the posts you'd have no idea anything has been deleted.

If you want some entertainment, go over to Princess board and read the ding dong battle on the latest Gratuity thread. I ran out of popcorn.

yep and people fighting at having to pay an extra $1.10 a day.Unbeleivable.

and a bit distressing to boot

Edited by mrs and mrs

yep and people fighting at having to pay an extra $1.10 a day.Unbeleivable.

and a bit distressing to boot

What I find strange is if I go over there and say "Hey I remove all tips" I will be called all sorts of names, but then some of the same people are over there talking about how to avoid $1 a day extra, can anyone spell H.Y.P.O.C.R.I.S.Y.

What I find strange is if I go over there and say "Hey I remove all tips" I will be called all sorts of names, but then some of the same people are over there talking about how to avoid $1 a day extra, can anyone spell H.Y.P.O.C.R.I.S.Y.

That thought occurred to me also. :D If they feel that removing all tips is "stiffing the crew", then surely, trying to pay a lesser amount is also stiffing the crew - although to a lesser degree. :D

By the way, I believe that passengers should pay the auto-tips on ships where this operates because the waiters/stewards' pay scale is set on the assumption they will also get part of the tips pool.