Gratuities

Spot on.

As for being "good money", it's fine if you're young without dependants or expenses, but if you're in your 30s, trying to build a family it won't get you far on rent or mortgage costs in a big city. $34k pre-tax isn't much compared to the cost of living here.

That works out to about $2100/month after tax, or about $525/week. How much is rent? Dream on about having a mortgage... And then food, electricity, utilities, transport. Appliances? Going out/entertainment? And forget about cruising!

Well just for starters, they don't pay tax.

Spot on.

As for being "good money", it's fine if you're young without dependants or expenses, but if you're in your 30s, trying to build a family it won't get you far on rent or mortgage costs in a big city. $34k pre-tax isn't much compared to the cost of living here.

That works out to about $2100/month after tax, or about $525/week. How much is rent? Dream on about having a mortgage... And then food, electricity, utilities, transport. Appliances? Going out/entertainment? And forget about cruising!

I just checked, the average monthly wage in the Philippines is $279.

I guess this is one reason they are happy to with $34k pre-tax.:):):)

No change in behaviour from me, I always prepaid them.:D

Same here Mick, always pre pay and then tip more, and now it will be all in the one structure, so we stop hearing people telling other people on board, just go remove them :)

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/15356012_10209040335578344_43786276_n.jpg?oh=c91f130a87e2ca5ff9a3567ed86460e0&oe=5846E8C9

It was a figure that Big M came up with, not sure where they got it from.

OK, will wait for source then as that seems a very high number compared to anecdotal numbers, which may or not be even close, and now we have posters quoting that number to make points. I must say I have no idea about what crew get paid, and would never presume to ask, nor to be told the truth if I did.

I guess some will be thinking wow, $34K tax-free, full board on ship, see the world and tips - where do we sign on??? Better than Maccas :)

I just checked, the average monthly wage in the Philippines is $279.

I guess this is one reason they are happy to with $34k pre-tax.:):):)

That would be true! But the 34k figure was the tangent about Australian McDonalds workers, not cruise income. Sorry as it seems it wasn't clear. :o

Edited by The_Big_M

We have never cruised on a cruise that does this tipping/grat thing, but tip handsomely at the end of cruise.

Like I've said before Upwards of $400 for steward.

$50 each for waiters and assnt In the mdr.

$50 each for our fav bar people.(3)

$20 for the cleaner who cleaned the restrooms.

All on a 10 day cruise.

Total=$670.

What are we doing wrong,:confused::confused:

Opps last cruise $0 for the steward, he barely did his job

$50 each for fav bar-people(3)

$20 for public cleaner.

$50 each for waiter and assnt.

$100 for tour guides.

$100 miscellaneous tips.

Total=$470

Is this wrong.

Edited by mrs and mrs
shiraz spelling

Actually they do. The same as Australians and most nationalities overseas, you also pay tax on offshore earnings.

Check again Big Feller, they don't.

It is for this very reason that they don't employ Australians on ships that work out of Australian ports, if they do then they have to pay tax. If they are working out of overseas ports they don't pay tax. It is one of the built in perks for ships crew worldwide.

The regulations for payment and conditions of ships crew are on an international basis, not on a country by country basis.

However it has become evident to me that trying to convince people that ships crew are not treated and paid like slaves is a futile effort.

Believe what you will folks, one of our cruising group of friends spent 35 years at sea so I think he might just know what he's talking about.

However it has become evident to me that trying to convince people that ships crew are not treated and paid like slaves is a futile effort.

I have often felt like that also. :) The cruiselines have to comply with the regulations of the International Labor Organization on pay and conditions.

As an example - on Princess ships where tipping is in place, currently the cruiseline only pays a nominal amount per month for those staff who are part of the tipping pool. That includes room stewards, dining room staff and buffet staff. Passengers pay $12.95 US per day in auto gratuity (if they are in suites it is more). On average there are two passengers in each cabin. When I saw the break-down of the tips, one-third went to the cabin steward. That is $8.63 per cabin per day. On our recent cruise our steward looked after 18 cabins - $155.40 per day = US$1,087.80 per week. Add to this the personal tips they receive.

When Princess removed the auto tips on Australian based ships (1st May 2011) they had to bring the stewards' contracted monthly pay to equal what they would get on a ship operating with auto-grats. At the time Princess announced this would happen. Anyway, if they didn't, no-one would work on the Australian ships.

All crew have free medical and pharmaceuticals, free transport to and from the ship, free uniforms, free laundry of company-supplied clothing. Their internet access is at a very cheap rate (virtually free). Obviously their room and board is supplied as part of the job.

The downsides - The obvious one is that they are away from their home and family for extended periods, but that happens with people working on merchant ships, or in the Military. Those working on cruiseships are paid only while they are on the ship. There is no holiday pay and no superannuation. Recently a MDR steward commented that they used to have 2 months between contracts, but it is now 4 months without pay. It would appear that Princess has increased the number of people employed as stewards, maybe in anticipation of a new ship or ships joining the fleet. While on board they have to work up to 70 hours per week. On Princess that is the maximum allowed. Time off in port is at the discretion of their supervisor.

I am sure that they get paid well enough or they wouldn't continue to sign up again. That said, I wouldn't want to do it and if I did, it would need to be a lot more than what they get now, and speculation as to what that figure is, is still far too low for me.

I am sure that they get paid well enough or they wouldn't continue to sign up again. That said, I wouldn't want to do it and if I did, it would need to be a lot more than what they get now, and speculation as to what that figure is, is still far too low for me.

I think it is reasonable to state the true state of affairs. I don't like the suggestion that the crew are almost like slaves. It is not fair to the image of the cruiselines. I feel the 'low pay' idea is often put out there so they get higher tips. Yes - their monthly pay might only be $50, but that is not the main part of their remuneration.

Edited by Aus Traveller

You set yourself a futile task (by your own admission), which no-one asked you to do, and now you complain that we are not convinced of your argument. It is my experience that many have 'a friend' that makes them an expert, but that seldom a compelling case it maketh.

Not sure of you angle on all this, but clearly you have a passion to reveal the truth about how well-off those working on cruiseships are - good luck with that.

For me, I will pay my fare and tip in accordance with what is customary on that ship, and treat the crew with respect & not worry about how much they make, and perhaps in a moment of thought, reflect how good my life is.

Happy cruising.

We have never cruised on a cruise that does this tipping/grat thing, but tip handsomely at the end of cruise.

Like I've said before Upwards of $400 for steward.

$50 each for waiters and assnt In the mdr.

$50 each for our fav bar people.(3)

$20 for the cleaner who cleaned the restrooms.

All on a 10 day cruise.

Total=$670.

What are we doing wrong,:confused::confused:

Opps last cruise $0 for the steward, he barely did his job

$50 each for fav bar-people(3)

$20 for public cleaner.

$50 each for waiter and assnt.

$100 for tour guides.

$100 miscellaneous tips.

Total=$470

Is this wrong.

Because Australians and those from over the ditch find the whole tipping thing awkward, most cruise lines sailing out of Australian ports include tips in overall price. You really are paying a bit extra for your cruise.

Are you doing the wrong thing? Hell no, I bet the crew love you for your generosity, and of course for being you.

For me, I will pay my fare and tip in accordance with what is customary on that ship, and treat the crew with respect & not worry about how much they make, and perhaps in a moment of thought, reflect how good my life is.

Happy cruising.

Agreed, great post.

a little 'bit' off the gratuities tag..... but sticking with the extras....

with RCL.... we're off to Vietnam in a few weeks (HK to Singapore on the Voyager) - and I emailed them a week or so ago about the 'visa' cost....

... two emails back saying that 'someone' is looking at it.. and nothing since. A simple question not answered.

... and news stories that the cost is $U5 from Vietnam sources.... one HOPES that RCL aren't going to take us for a ride on this !!! (anyone on what the actual visa cost is - considering we are returning to the ship each night ???)(

I'm late to this question and you might already have your answer... we cruised to Vietnam last month with 2 ports of call and RCI provided the visas for $6 pp.

Check again Big Feller, they don't.

It is for this very reason that they don't employ Australians on ships that work out of Australian ports, if they do then they have to pay tax. If they are working out of overseas ports they don't pay tax. It is one of the built in perks for ships crew worldwide.

The regulations for payment and conditions of ships crew are on an international basis, not on a country by country basis.

That's not right. It's the employee that pays income tax, not the company. So the employer doesn't refuse "to employ Australians on ships that work out of Australian ports," as how much income tax is paid by the employee is not their concern or problem.

And in any case there _are_ Australians on that ships that work out of Australian ports - but just like Americans, English and generally those who get good incomes in their home country they are very few. This is because the incomes generally aren't great compared to what they would get in their home country, especially compared to the downsides.

And lastly, as an Australian you do pay tax whether the income is earned here or overseas, and working on a cruise ship in either place doesn't give you an exemption from that.

That's not right. It's the employee that pays income tax, not the company. So the employer doesn't refuse "to employ Australians on ships that work out of Australian ports," as how much income tax is paid by the employee is not their concern or problem.

And in any case there _are_ Australians on that ships that work out of Australian ports - but just like Americans, English and generally those who get good incomes in their home country they are very few. This is because the incomes generally aren't great compared to what they would get in their home country, especially compared to the downsides.

And lastly, as an Australian you do pay tax whether the income is earned here or overseas, and working on a cruise ship in either place doesn't give you an exemption from that.

I read Russell21's comment differently from you. When he said "It is for this very reason that they don't employ Australians on ships that work out of Australian ports, if they do then they have to pay tax. If they are working out of overseas ports they don't pay tax" I believe he meant that the Australian employee has to pay tax when working on ships out of Australian ports. What would be a reasonable wage if it was tax-free, suddenly isn't very good. We have encountered Aussies working on ships based in USA, but naturally we did not discuss income or whether they pay tax.

This suggestion about tax is confirmed by what one CD told us several years ago. She has dual Aust/US citizenship and said she was employed using her US nationality so she wouldn't have to pay Aust income tax. I don't know if she had to pay it in the US or whether it was a lower rate.

I agree that since the ATO closed the loophole ten or so years ago, now Aussies working overseas are supposed to declare their income and pay tax, but how many do? :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

I read Russell21's comment differently from you. )

He said check again in response to my statement on "Australians and most other nationalities" so that is the context.

Most residents of developed countries are liable for tax on onshore and offshore earnings. It's not tax free in any case.