Gratuities

It can be annoying what with the gratuities and the fees. taxes & fees being added on as you go to book.:(

First time I looked at Celebrity nearly gave up after what looked like a great price turned out to be crazy high.

• 2 months later...
I always said the competition will be fierce,in 2017, and 2018 will be worse.

Its going to be a case of last minute bargains.

Have ya bag packed and ready to go.

Princess seem to be dropping the ball and the others are about to move in like sharks.

Looking forward to it.

A rather odd article online today. Was not sure where it was heading, or if the writer new.

Anyway, provides some interesting commentary on the pay and conditions of cruise employees. Tipping gets a very important, but not well explained, mention.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/the-one-issue-you-should-consider-before-going-on-a-cruise/news-story/b38cc90b127bc6af5d15967c32a41902

A rather odd article online today. Was not sure where it was heading, or if the writer new.

Anyway, provides some interesting commentary on the pay and conditions of cruise employees. Tipping gets a very important, but not well explained, mention.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/the-one-issue-you-should-consider-before-going-on-a-cruise/news-story/b38cc90b127bc6af5d15967c32a41902

Well that's not the way I've heard it straight from several of those supposedly underpaid poor devils, but you believe what you want.

Anyone who quotes "Cruise Law News" to support their argument looses all credibility with me.

Thanks for the article. I suppose one thing I might mention. Is that in all the staff I have met and had more personal type conversations. Only one (first contract) said that they would never come back after their contract was finished. All the others have said they will look to renew or have renewed their contracts, some of them many, many times.:D

Thanks for the article. I suppose one thing I might mention. Is that in all the staff I have met and had more personal type conversations. Only one (first contract) said that they would never come back after their contract was finished. All the others have said they will look to renew or have renewed their contracts, some of them many, many times.:D

Yep.

One fellow we met was on his 25th contract, started as a dishwasher now a maitre'd. The head of housekeeping started as a Steward. F&B manager as a barman.

I know the hours are long and hey work 7 days a week with minimal time off, but so many return again and again, so the money cannot be that bad.

Let me just add, the money would be great to fantastic compared to what they could earn back home, perhaps not so great compared to Aussie wages.

Let me just add, the money would be great to fantastic compared to what they could earn back home, perhaps not so great compared to Aussie wages.

We have long supported an orphan/school in the Phillipines. The Principal earns about $80 a month and is by far the richest man in his town. The only one with a concrete block house, the whole village gathers there in bad storms.

One cruise we met a pen ex student that we had contributed towards through university, he was working on a cruise ship, said two years would give him enough to set up a school in his own village, the only way he could afford it.

So yep great money at home.

Yep.

One fellow we met was on his 25th contract, started as a dishwasher now a maitre'd. The head of housekeeping started as a Steward. F&B manager as a barman.

There are those who work at McDonalds from the beginning of their careers up to regional managers and more.

Doesn't mean that it's well paid for those who stay at the lower end though.

There are those who work at McDonalds from the beginning of their careers up to regional managers and more.

Doesn't mean that it's well paid for those who stay at the lower end though.

Actually it us good money.

But aside from that, if it's not, why do they stay?

There may be many reasons apart from money why some people stay in low paid work, but they tend to be an individual's reasons.

Spot on.

As for being "good money", it's fine if you're young without dependants or expenses, but if you're in your 30s, trying to build a family it won't get you far on rent or mortgage costs in a big city. $34k pre-tax isn't much compared to the cost of living here.

That works out to about $2100/month after tax, or about $525/week. How much is rent? Dream on about having a mortgage... And then food, electricity, utilities, transport. Appliances? Going out/entertainment? And forget about cruising!

Spot on.

As for being "good money", it's fine if you're young without dependants or expenses, but if you're in your 30s, trying to build a family it won't get you far on rent or mortgage costs in a big city. $34k pre-tax isn't much compared to the cost of living here.

That works out to about $2100/month after tax, or about $525/week. How much is rent? Dream on about having a mortgage... And then food, electricity, utilities, transport. Appliances? Going out/entertainment? And forget about cruising!

As I said previously, the money would be great to fantastic compared to what they could earn back home, perhaps not so great compared to Aussie wages.