britannia condition

philipsw285

I think you've missed the point - which was that the wear and tear /rust etc. was significantly worse on Britannia than you would expect for a ship of her age. She was in worse condition than Eclipse which is 6 years old.

No,I haven't but some people just seem to want to find fault and in particular with Brittania....if they don't like it don't sail on it !

No,I haven't but some people just seem to want to find fault and in particular with Brittania....if they don't like it don't sail on it !

If you sail on different cruise lines it is impossible not to make comparisons with the different ships, and even though I now cruise mainly with P&O because they have more round trip Southampton sailings, I have to agree that their exterior maintenance is inferior to both Princess and Celebrity, which I have also cruised on regularly.

My other complaints about Britannia relate to the under sized lifts, the bland decor, compared with its Princess sisters, and the poor layout which applies to all Grand/Royal class ships.

But that would not stop me from cruising on Britannia again, if the price and itinerary suited me.

Hi philipsw285 I have no comment to anything in this thread as I haven't been on any of these ships but...I was wondering where you got the profile pictures of the ships on your page they are amazing do you know if Cunard one are available? Thanx Allison

Why don't we just moor the ships up not allow passengers onboard and then we can all admire them because we will not see them subject to wear and tear or the depredations of being at sea.

Get real people a ship is a living thing of course they will never look pristine after leaving their building/ refit dock we as passengers go aboard we spill drinks/food and walk on the carpets we bump into things, those in wheelchairs also bump against walls tables etc, the sea and sea air causes unsightly rust stains all over the ship.

I have read numerous comments about ongoing maintenance such as balcony handrail varnishing/ painting taking place while passengers are aboard and they are complaining at this work taking place we can't have it all our own way a ship requires ongoing maintenance 24 hrs a day 365 days a year, as to carpets etc how often do you replace your household carpets I have been married and occupied our marital home for 30 years we only replaced our original very good quality carpets in 2012.

During all of our cruises I have observed crew members carrying out Hull Painting in every port, balcony/handrail/deck fixture maintanence on most occasions causing me no great problem/inconvenience .

No shipping Company/Hotel will replace fixtures and fittings until they have to, most cruise ships are refitted on a five year basis.

If we demand every cruise ship to be pristine 95% of us can forget about cruising as prices would shoot through the roof, before you start complaining about cruise ships perhaps you should have a look at your own home.

Why don't we just moor the ships up not allow passengers onboard and then we can all admire them because we will not see them subject to wear and tear or the depredations of being at sea.

Get real people a ship is a living thing of course they will never look pristine after leaving their building/ refit dock we as passengers go aboard we spill drinks/food and walk on the carpets we bump into things, those in wheelchairs also bump against walls tables etc, the sea and sea air causes unsightly rust stains all over the ship.

I have read numerous comments about ongoing maintenance such as balcony handrail varnishing/ painting taking place while passengers are aboard and they are complaining at this work taking place we can't have it all our own way a ship requires ongoing maintenance 24 hrs a day 365 days a year, as to carpets etc how often do you replace your household carpets I have been married and occupied our marital home for 30 years we only replaced our original very good quality carpets in 2012.

During all of our cruises I have observed crew members carrying out Hull Painting in every port, balcony/handrail/deck fixture maintanence on most occasions causing me no great problem/inconvenience .

No shipping Company/Hotel will replace fixtures and fittings until they have to, most cruise ships are refitted on a five year basis.

If we demand every cruise ship to be pristine 95% of us can forget about cruising as prices would shoot through the roof, before you start complaining about cruise ships perhaps you should have a look at your own home.

I fully accept all these points. However, to me, this discussion is about the relative state of Britannia compared to other ships ( on other lines). My view is that the quality of fixtures and fittings and level of maintenance is worse than other ships. I'm not expecting perfection, but I went on a 6 year old ship this year which was in a better state of repair than Britannia when she was a few months old. Just my observation. I'm not saying Britannia is a poor ship, just that I would have expected better.

I should also explain that when I mentioned rust on the balcony - it was not the usual rust coming through the paintwork which I would expect - it was the unpainted posts that support the balcony handrail ( presumably made out of a type of metal that is not meant to rust)

Edited by Spike11

The biggest problem we found on Britannia was soot on the decks and chairs, really dreadful. We had some soot on an aft balcony on Arcadia but nothing as bad as on Britannia. There was also,a problem with toilets, never seen so many out of service, including those near the buffet. We would never cruise on her again,

"LIKE" ! Thank you for your post Sanjam cruisers...you write such a lot of sense!

Sanjam, I am sure I would really enjoy your company on a cruise and have many interesting discussions with you. However I have to agree with CrispyBacon, on another thread, this is a discussion forum where everyone is allowed to air their views, and it is perfectly acceptable for anyone to disagree with those views and give their reasons for it, which you do. But what I object to with anyone on these forums/Fora, the latter never really sounds correct, is when they appear to want to refute the other persons opinion entirely.

We are all entitled to our own views and I would never suggest that yours are incorrect, but I would expect the same courtesy from all other members of the forum.

The biggest problem we found on Britannia was soot on the decks and chairs, really dreadful. We had some soot on an aft balcony on Arcadia but nothing as bad as on Britannia. There was also,a problem with toilets, never seen so many out of service, including those near the buffet. We would never cruise on her again,

Way back in the days of QE2 it was well known that she had a problem with, at times, soot on the open decks. The difference then was that you could get clothing laundered for free. I can't imagine P&O offering that.

If you went into any reasonable hotel and the paintwork was shabby and the carpets frayed you would not be too impressed. But of course you are not paying reasonable hotel prices. P&O are building another massive ship so they are obviously aiming for near the bottom of the market. Can't see things improving much really.

David.

Way back in the days of QE2 it was well known that she had a problem with, at times, soot on the open decks. The difference then was that you could get clothing laundered for free. I can't imagine P&O offering that.

If you went into any reasonable hotel and the paintwork was shabby and the carpets frayed you would not be too impressed. But of course you are not paying reasonable hotel prices. P&O are building another massive ship so they are obviously aiming for near the bottom of the market. Can't see things improving much really.

David.

At least the new ship wont have a soot problem!

Hi philipsw285 I have no comment to anything in this thread as I haven't been on any of these ships but...I was wondering where you got the profile pictures of the ships on your page they are amazing do you know if Cunard one are available? Thanx Allison

Its http://www.cruise-ships.com, yes they have Cunard on there!

Sanjam, I am sure I would really enjoy your company on a cruise and have many interesting discussions with you. However I have to agree with CrispyBacon, on another thread, this is a discussion forum where everyone is allowed to air their views, and it is perfectly acceptable for anyone to disagree with those views and give their reasons for it, which you do. But what I object to with anyone on these forums/Fora, the latter never really sounds correct, is when they appear to want to refute the other persons opinion entirely.

We are all entitled to our own views and I would never suggest that yours are incorrect, but I would expect the same courtesy from all other members of the forum.

Can I use this John when people have a go at me for having the nerve to Like P&O.

Just a thought. :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! I think we all have the gist of this one now, although no doubt someone will continue !

Haha ! I will, but not as you are maybe expecting!

Just to say in response to Balf that my white trousers got badly spotted by soot on a sailaway on Oriana recently and they were laundered for free...and they got the soot out....

Can I use this John when people have a go at me for having the nerve to Like P&O.

Just a thought. :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know just how you feel Dai, I get very upset as well when people demand that I must not criticise P&O on this, their very own, forum.:rolleyes:;):D

Spike 11 I apologise if you feel I was critizing your post I had no such intention I have not yet sailed on Britannia but will be doing so in 2018 and will be interested in her overall condition.

Mystical mother thank you for your reply to my post.

Terrierjohn. I always read your posts with interest and have no doubt yourself and I could have a very interesting "Chin-Wag" about ships and cruising perhaps with a small modicum of suitable alcoholic beverage while watching the ships wake and the sunset.

Very happy cruising to you all.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

Just came into this soot debate.

Note guests appear pleased the ship cleans the beds, decks etc., plus kindly sending their soot stained clothing for cleaning.

However, it would apoear everyone is missing one salient point. What about the potential carsnegenics one inhales, or has digested?

Food for thought?

Just came into this soot debate.

Note guests appear pleased the ship cleans the beds, decks etc., plus kindly sending their soot stained clothing for cleaning.

However, it would apoear everyone is missing one salient point. What about the potential carsnegenics one inhales, or has digested?

Food for thought?

Again I was surprised that a new ship was still chucking so much soot into the sea. I had assumed that technology had moved on and most could be filtered out.

On our recent cruise we were in a mini suite on Aurora.

Internal decoration looked up to scratch. Didn't see anything that leapt out at me.

Our cabin decoration looked alright. Except for the wooden balcony rail. OH was not impressed, took a pix and wandered down to reception. They said it didn't look in a good state. We were told it would be dealt with at the next port of call.

Went ashore , returned, and not only were they sanding/varnishing the rail ,we also had men out there painting all the white bits (there were rust stains showing through ,but we had not mentioned them, as you sort of expect that on a ship)

Looked very nice and very happy. A little while later in the cruise (or the one after) notices appeared on all the doors along that deck saying balcony maintenance going on...didn't think ours would be touched as it had been dealt with.

Lo and behold another few coats of varnish applied. Positively gleaming after that. You could nearly see your face in it.

When we had last travelled on Aurora a few years ago we remembered buckets all over the place collecting water from leaks. None of that this time. They were also painting the outside of the ship during ports of call. Plus little men going up and down and along the outside of a ship in a cradle doing things (not sure what)

On our recent cruise we were in a mini suite on Aurora.

Internal decoration looked up to scratch. Didn't see anything that leapt out at me.

Our cabin decoration looked alright. Except for the wooden balcony rail. OH was not impressed, took a pix and wandered down to reception. They said it didn't look in a good state. We were told it would be dealt with at the next port of call.

Went ashore , returned, and not only were they sanding/varnishing the rail ,we also had men out there painting all the white bits (there were rust stains showing through ,but we had not mentioned them, as you sort of expect that on a ship)

Looked very nice and very happy. A little while later in the cruise (or the one after) notices appeared on all the doors along that deck saying balcony maintenance going on...didn't think ours would be touched as it had been dealt with.

Lo and behold another few coats of varnish applied. Positively gleaming after that. You could nearly see your face in it.

When we had last travelled on Aurora a few years ago we remembered buckets all over the place collecting water from leaks. None of that this time. They were also painting the outside of the ship during ports of call. Plus little men going up and down and along the outside of a ship in a cradle doing things (not sure what)

That is heartening to know TEL, they obviously knew you were on board and after pointing out their balcony rail deficiency they wanted to make sure everything was OK this time.

After complaining about a drain smell in the cabin and poor shower water pressure on our last cruise, I am now hoping everything will be sorted on our next cruise and I can enjoy a power shower every day.;)

With regard to the soot problem on Britannia this would appear to be a problem on both her sister ships Royal and Regal Princess, after the first of class came into service and the problem was identified they increased the height of the exhaust outlets, the second of the class came into service with her outlets and of course Britannia was built with two funnels instead of one large grouping, it would appear that none of these changes have fixed this particular problem perhaps it will be fixed on the fourth ship to come into service.

With regard to the soot problem on Britannia this would appear to be a problem on both her sister ships Royal and Regal Princess, after the first of class came into service and the problem was identified they increased the height of the exhaust outlets, the second of the class came into service with her outlets and of course Britannia was built with two funnels instead of one large grouping, it would appear that none of these changes have fixed this particular problem perhaps it will be fixed on the fourth ship to come into service.

We had an aft balcony on Britannia and only had very minor issues on our balcony with soot. Never really noticed much before breakfast but the cabin steward always cleaned the balcony as part of his morning schedule and other than that the very occasional small amount of soot was quickly wiped off with a cloth.

By the way do not no for certain but don't think Britannia having 2 funnels is anything to do with a modification to do with soot and was led to believe that one was "fake" and for visual effect.

We had an aft balcony on Britannia and only had very minor issues on our balcony with soot. Never really noticed much before breakfast but the cabin steward always cleaned the balcony as part of his morning schedule and other than that the very occasional small amount of soot was quickly wiped off with a cloth.

By the way do not no for certain but don't think Britannia having 2 funnels is anything to do with a modification to do with soot and was led to believe that one was "fake" and for visual effect.

I guess it depends on the weather conditions, speed etc. We had an aft balcony and for most days it was not a problem. However, on two days the balcony was full of bits of black rusty soot - some the size of a 10 pence piece. We've had aft balcony cabins on many ships but never had anything as bad as this. The sunset bar was also covered in it. The question for me is why new ships are still churning out so much soot into the sea.

Majortom

Have not sailed on Britannia yet having to wait till 2018 for that, Interesting to hear that one of the funnels is a dummy as it would not be easy to amend the design to split the exhaust up takes, personally it is the one thing that I do not like about Britannia is the funnel design I would have liked them more rounded/elliptical rather than what has been stuck on I may change my mind once aboard.

As to the soot problem as it only seems to appear in the mornings it must caused by the increase in overnight speed just the same when in a car we apply the pedal to the metal for the initial burst of acceleration, I suppose on a large ship as in a large heavy vehicle that first speed increase takes longer to achieve than on a lighter vehicle/ship hence soot deposits of a heavier nature for longer.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers