Dramamine Naturals Ginger

SwimCarrie

Hi cruise lovers,

Has anyone tried the new (or new to me, anyway) Dramamine? Has it worked for you? My son and I both get motion sickness and we're tired of sleeping through dinner in the MDR!

I finally asked my MD for the patches but my son is too young to use them, so when I was out getting Dramamine, I found the Naturals.

Any experience with either the ginger pills or the patch? Preference?

Thanks!

I have not tried the Dramamine natural, but ginger has been a used as a motion sickness preventive for a long time. I always use Meclizine Hydrochloride. The brand names are Bonine or Draminine, Less Drowsey. I purchase the chewable tablets and carry a few around all the time while on the ship. At the slightest thought of motion sickness I take one. It is one tablet/day and you can take up to two tablets. I have never felt sleep taking meclizine.

Hi cruise lovers,

Has anyone tried the new (or new to me, anyway) Dramamine? Has it worked for you? My son and I both get motion sickness and we're tired of sleeping through dinner in the MDR!

I finally asked my MD for the patches but my son is too young to use them, so when I was out getting Dramamine, I found the Naturals.

Thanks!

My wife is very, very susceptible to all types of motion sickness & has enjoyed dozens of cruises by taking meclizine when necessary.

That's the much less expensive generic version of Bonine or Dramamine Less Drowsy. It's an antihistamine that prevents motion sickness & since like other antihistamines it can cause drowsiness she takes it at night. But even with wine at dinner she has no problems with sleeping through dinner. ;)

She discovered meclizine after experiencing adverse side affects from the patches which has more potential severe side affects which is why it requires a prescription in the US.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi cruise lovers,

Thanks!

My wife takes ginger with her all the time. On or last cruise a girl was feeling seasick she took some of the ginger and felt better in less then one hour. We take Puritan's Pride Ginger Relief 550MG for nausea. Trader Joe's has Organic Ginger mints. This is what my wife gave to the girl that was sick also from Trader Joe's Uncrystallized Candied Ginger /Sweet & Smooth. I hope this helps!!!!

Tony

Another vote here for Meclizine HCI 25 mg.

No droziness

Chewable

And the best part is I get it at my local Sam's club at the Pharmacy, No

Prescription needed.

Very inexpensive too

4.00 or 5.00 for a bottle of 100

Dramamine puts me to sleep 😠

I also get gin gins ginger drops from T J Max or Marshall's for those excursions

where I'm in the back of the van on those beautiful trips on the Amalfi Coast..

And I'm good to go..

Chris

Found out I was air and sea sick on my first cruise- aka my honeymoon! Fell in love with traveling though but I did notice the Dramamine the ship sells knocks me down, the kind from the store has less of whatever active ingredient- still keeps me feeling ok but also awake. Not sure if you were always getting it on the ship or bringing it with you from home.

Found out I was air and sea sick on my first cruise- aka my honeymoon! Fell in love with traveling though but I did notice the Dramamine the ship sells knocks me down, the kind from the store has less of whatever active ingredient- still keeps me feeling ok but also awake. Not sure if you were always getting it on the ship or bringing it with you from home.

Man up and get on with it :)

There is Dramamine Less Drowsy which is the same as Bonine...and the generic of both is inexpensive meclizine.

Well,suppose on your honeymoon you wouldn't be out of the cabin much anyway :)

No droziness

Chewable

Prescription needed.

Very inexpensive too

Dramamine puts me to sleep [emoji34]

I also get gin gins ginger drops from T J Max or Marshall's for those excursions

And I'm good to go..

Chris

Another vote for this. DW and I both take it, no drowsiness and like you said $4 a bottle at Costco is just right!

Hi cruise lovers,

Thanks!

All I know is that Mrs Gut used to get violently ill, then she started Ginger (tablets, pieces, tea, doesn't seem to matter what form) and green apples, no worries since.

No droziness

Chewable

Prescription needed.

Very inexpensive too

Dramamine puts me to sleep 😠

And I'm good to go..

Chris

Another vote for Meclizine. I have dealt with motion sickness for my entire life. Car rides as a child were torture. As I got older, there was no improvement. Dramamine would make me sleepy and crabby.

Meclazine has been a life changer for me. Not only can I go on amusement park rides that I missed as a kid, I can go an entire 14-day cruise without getting sick! Like others, I take it nightly before bed beginning on the day before the cruise and continuing through the cruise with no negative side effects. I get mine on Amazon.

I have used the patch on each of my cruises. I have always gotten violently seasick - I first found out in high school when we crossed the English channel on a ferry, and again when I crossed from the North Island to the South Island in New Zealand. Yes, they were smaller boats, but when I was a child I could read in the car no problem and now I get so motion sick in cars, on rollercoasters, etc - that I was super nervous for my first cruise.

I actually wore the patch starting the evening before we left, and it fell off on Day 2 at the beach (it got stuck in my hair). I felt fine until we hit really choppy water on the last night, and I spent a lot of that laying down wishing I had reapplied the patch at the first sign of waves.

I got my own prescription for the past two cruises and they've been a godsend. Not only for the ship, but in port on super windy roads on St. Lucia. I experience zero side effects from the patches, so they are worth it to me.

I still am going to take ginger pills and a small pack of meclizine for my husband. He is good most of the time, but sometimes when it is rough out needs one.

Meclazine (chewable) for my DH who tends to have motion sickness. He can't use the patch due to other medication reactions. I also bring along a few cans of gingerale. That is an old family tested recipe! He takes the first dose about an hour before sailing and does very well with one every 24 hrs for the first couple of days, and then only on rough seas. No drowsiness!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Also haven't tried the naturals. Like others I've gotten motion sick my entire life, but love traveling too much to let it stop me. :)

I generally use SeaBands, but sometimes I find that they will irritate my wrist (if I've worn them for a day or two straight.) I also found the Queasy Pops http://www.threelollies.com/Home.aspx (I generally buy the ones marketed as Preggy Pops because I can pick them up from Babies R Us, or Buy Buy Baby, and they always have them in stock.) I still take Dramamine when I fly, and would usually take more after a long layover. For our honeymoon, I took the candies on a flight from Honolulu to Maui. They were perfect and I didn't feel groggy or tired like I usually do when we landed.

I also make sure I have a lollipop or two in my purse or pocket for tender boats as they work instantly and like magic!

Sorry that doesn't answer your question, but hope it helps.