Formal nights on the Grandeur

Giantfan13

First I have to say, this is our first cruise on Royal Caribbean so I have a few questions that I would love some help with.

We are on the Grandeur, 12 night cruise out of Baltimore Dec 10, 2016. How many formal nights are there for this cruise and when are they?

Also, do you have to 'dress' to enter the main dining room? To be honest, I haven't dressed (even a jacket and tie) in many years of cruising and have never been denied access to the MDR. We always dress neatly, slacks and shirt, but dressing up (jacket and tie) just isn't our thing. Will we be able to still eat in the MDR on formal nights?

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

They enforce the dress to some degree on the ship. They do not let you in if you have shorts, t-shirts. You will see men tux and ladies in cocktail dresses or long dresses. We always enjoy dressing since we do not get to dress up at home. We are also lucky that we can drive to Baltimore so the additional dresses, tux and shoes does not make a difference to us. Enjoy your cruise. Grandeur is a great ship with a great crew.

There are probably 3 formal nights. Someone on our roll call for our 12 night 31 Oct cruise reported there are 3 after they contacted RCI. Our one other 12 night cruise on EX a few years ago also had 3. Your 12 night is very similar to ours except we're doing Antigua and you're doing Dominica. Otherwise, ports are the same.

Edited by BND

We'll be on the same cruise. Personally, we love to dress up on cruises since we have so little opportunity to do so otherwise. I understand people want to be casual these days, but there's something so nice about seeing everyone dressed up every now and then.

To each his own.

First I have to say, this is our first cruise on Royal Caribbean so I have a few questions that I would love some help with.

We are on the Grandeur, 12 night cruise out of Baltimore Dec 10, 2016. How many formal nights are there for this cruise and when are they?

Also, do you have to 'dress' to enter the main dining room? To be honest, I haven't dressed (even a jacket and tie) in many years of cruising and have never been denied access to the MDR. We always dress neatly, slacks and shirt, but dressing up (jacket and tie) just isn't our thing. Will we be able to still eat in the MDR on formal nights?

Cheers

Len

Len, a 12 night cruise on the Grandeur out of Baltimore in December tends to skew older. This crowd, for the most part, dresses VERY nicely. You will find few, if any, not dressing up at least to some degree for formal night.

Will you be turned away without a coat and tie? Absolutely not. Will you be more out of place that you might be on another ship at another time? Probably.

Have a great cruise.

You will not be turned away. A growing number now wear smart casual. Sometimes, I just wear the jacket with no tie.

Thank you all for the excellent responses. I now have the info I was looking for.

Not to knock anyone who wishes to get dressed up, but it just isn't our thing anymore. We do dress smartly and my DW will probably wear a skirt, but that's about it for us. Will I feel out of place, maybe. Won't be the first time and probably not the last either, but we'll survive. And no disrespect meant to anyone who warned us. :D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Cheers

Len

As of December 2015 it is no longer mandatory to wear formal attire on RCI cruises.I will be on the 11/28 to 12/10 cruise .I shall be wearing button down shirts and chinos for every dinner meal .I did the same on the Grandeur in December ,2015.

Lenny

As of December 2015 it is no longer mandatory to wear formal attire on RCI cruises.I will be on the 11/28 to 12/10 cruise .I shall be wearing button down shirts and chinos for every dinner meal .I did the same on the Grandeur in December ,2015.

Lenny

Thanks Lenny from LI, I'm Len from LI.

Neighbors :D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

As of December 2015 it is no longer mandatory to wear formal attire on RCI cruises.

For the longest time it has been a suggestion, not a mandate. Nothing really changed in December. You might be confusing RCI with the de-formalization on Celebrity.

We were on the Grandeur a couple months ago... the dress was very lax. We saw a bit of everything. There were shorts in the dining room, even on formal night.

We saw tank tops on other nights.

A pair of pants and a collared shirt would be appropriate. You will see some in a suit and tux also... but you will see plenty who aren't.

RCCL doesn't enforce the policy much, if at all, IMO

I will be on the Grandeur in October and for the first time , do not plan to wear a tie and jacket on formal nights. Each cruise they show up less and less. As a mainly Celebrity cruiser, I have now gotten spoiled concerning formal nights. IMO, eventually Royal will also relax dress suggestions and change to a lesser standard.