HAL"cooking up exciting news" ?

ETinCA

It's actually the new version of America's Test Kitchen. Chris Kimball, the originator of the show was let go last September after a disagreement with the new CEO. The season airing now is Kimball's last.

America's Test Kitchen has been expanding their brand by becoming an online store for products that they have rated highly, they're engaging in sweepstakes with prizes, etc., in an attempt to generate more income and liven things up.

Full disclosure, I'm one of those people who didn't think the show needed livening up and am very disappointed that, besides their own books, they are now selling products that the show has rated as "best". It's probably all perfectly legit, but I don't think they're familiar with the old saying, "Caesar's wife must be above reproach"; that absent any devious activity, there can be no appearance of devious activity either.

Edited by Ken_W

It'll be onboard cooking classes hosted by America's Test Kitchen.

Is is the Cooks Magazine? Group - it is fascinating when they deconstruct a recipe in the magazine.

Frankly the recipes at other HAL cooking demonstrations were very weak and little was learned about technique or recipe adjustments to maximize the educational experience.

It was not even really "entertainment", except when the staff occasionally did "mystery ingredient box" type shows.. Was not a highlight worth the dedicated space, in my opinion. Upping the educational value of this feature could be a good thing.

The hands-on classes will be $39 per person. The cooking demos will be free.

Depending on the recipes/topics offered, that is reasonable.

I love cooking and learning about cooking and prep technique. I hate cleaning however so no cleaning, thus I am happy.

Edited by fatcat04

It's actually the new version of America's Test Kitchen. Chris Kimball, the originator of the show was let go last September after a disagreement with the new CEO. The season airing now is Kimball's last.

America's Test Kitchen has been expanding their brand by becoming an online store for products that they have rated highly, they're engaging in sweepstakes with prizes, etc., in an attempt to generate more income and liven things up.

Full disclosure, I'm one of those people who didn't think the show needed livening up and am very disappointed that, besides their own books, they are now selling products that the show has rated as "best". It's probably all perfectly legit, but I don't think they're familiar with the old saying, "Caesar's wife must be above reproach"; that absent any devious activity, there can be no appearance of devious activity either.

I'm with you on that. Sorry that Chris is leaving. This will likely be the last season I watch.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't this basically the same thing they've done in the CAC for the past several years? It was just with a different sponsor, right? I'll check it out since I happen to be on the Westerdam when it is first introduced. I'm not familiar with the show; I don't think it is shown in Canada.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't this basically the same thing they've done in the CAC for the past several years?

Sounds like that's exactly what it is. If so, then HAL is probably getting a higher fee from the sponsor.

But it also sounds as if it won't be a HAL chef who is doing the classes, perhaps. If that's true, then what level of staff is being replaced to make room for the new trainers? There are only so many crew beds, and cabin/table stewards are already stretched thin.

Sounds like that's exactly what it is. If so, then HAL is probably getting a higher fee from the sponsor.

But it also sounds as if it won't be a HAL chef who is doing the classes, perhaps. If that's true, then what level of staff is being replaced to make room for the new trainers? There are only so many crew beds, and cabin/table stewards are already stretched thin.

No, according to the wording in the press release, it will be HAL "chefs trained by America’s Test Kitchen culinary experts". So, no extra beds required. Although, I suppose it's possible that on the first cruises, as this is being rolled out, there may be the culinary experts onboard. I'll let you know in 26 days (but who's counting?)!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

No, according to the wording in the press release, it will be HAL "chefs trained by America’s Test Kitchen culinary experts". So, no extra beds required.

Whew. That's a relief. Missed that in my reading. Got to wonder, though, just how much "training" HAL chefs should be needing.

Yes, please do let us know what you find with all of this. I'm sure I won't be the only one looking forward to your reports.

I imagine needs to be "training" in demonstration and presentation in this culinary setting - camera angles, timing, set-up, dialogue, etc. They can be great cooks to start with, but not necessarily good public performance artists.

Actually, this can be a good skill set to acquire for a possible new career on land, since cooking classes and shows are currently very profitable with the possibility of "stardom" for the lucky few who successfully put the two skills together.