The little chocolates...

A funny little story:

After the chocolates were discontinued, DH & I were cruising in cabin next to our cruise friends. I brought a small bag of Hershey miniatures and had the stateroom attendant put one on each of their pillows during 'turn down' service. On the 3rd night at dinner they mentioned they were still getting chocolates. I became indignant and wanted to know why we weren't getting them. 2 nights after that, at dinner I said, "Soo, are you STILL getting chocolates??" They said they didn't want to upset us so hadn't mentioned that they were still getting them. That was it. DH & I started to laugh and explain that the chocolates were from us. Fun stuff. We cruise in 4 weeks next to them again (different cruiseline). I need to think of a new 'sneaky'.

Why and when did Royal get rid of the little pillow chocolates at turndown?

I really miss those.[/QUO

I don't think they were "real" chocolate but rather "chocolate flavored confections" - the term used on cheap chocolates. They certainly didn't taste like real chocolate.

A funny little story:

After the chocolates were discontinued, DH & I were cruising in cabin next to our cruise friends. I brought a small bag of Hershey miniatures and had the stateroom attendant put one on each of their pillows during 'turn down' service. On the 3rd night at dinner they mentioned they were still getting chocolates. I became indignant and wanted to know why we weren't getting them. 2 nights after that, at dinner I said, "Soo, are you STILL getting chocolates??" They said they didn't want to upset us so hadn't mentioned that they were still getting them. That was it. DH & I started to laugh and explain that the chocolates were from us. Fun stuff. We cruise in 4 weeks next to them again (different cruiseline). I need to think of a new 'sneaky'.

So cute ! You'll have to think of something new

I melted a chocolate on my cabin bed before. But I wasn't drunk. I was coming back later than my cabin mate. We had two twin beds. So I didn't turn the light on. Just crawled into bed. When I woke up I had a melted chocolate under my shoulders.

I feel like the chocolates are a symbol of just how CHEAP the cruise lines have gotten. So different cruising these days compared to the last two decades I have cruised. Every year they just take more away.

Edited by LovetheSea

I don't get chocolates at luxury hotels anymore either. Has very little to do with money - the cost of those pieces of chocolate were probably a penny (or less) per piece. No-one cares about it anymore. Just like how turn down service is now disappearing in most luxury hotels as well; most consumers don't miss it.

I noticed that too and remember the nightly chocolates in our cruises years ago. Not a big deal with all the food but what i missed were the daily towel animals. We got about 3 during the week instead of every night.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

Royal Caribbean has about 80,000 berths * 365 days per year = 29.2 million passenger nights (or 29.2 million chocolates) assuming they cost RCCL about 2 cents each; that's $584,000.

Annual revenue in 2015 was $8.3 Billion. Pre-tax gross income was $665 million. Assuming your numbers are correct, those chocolates were .007% of revenue and .09% of gross income. Assuming a double-pax stateroom, it works out to a whole 28 cents per stateroom, per week. Not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. They would save much more money by giving each room steward an extra room or two to clean (which they have, which explains why you see less towel animals)

Ok, I did like the chocolates, but I miss nightly towel animals more. We cruised Carnival and each night had a new little critter waiting for us. When we were on Oasis, in 7 nights we got 2 animals.

Now we are going on Navigator for 4 nights, over Thanksgiving. I wonder if they will do turkey towel animals?

:)

I wish companies like RCCL would understand that it's always better to reduce costs that are not so blatantly obvious to the customer. When you've had those little chocolates on the bed for 10 cruises and then POOF they're gone, the customer IS going to notice. There are many ways to reduce costs that are not immediately visible to the customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that more people chucked them than ate them. If I recall they were pretty low end and waxy and we chucked them. If we were in the majority, it's no wonder it was something they would cut. Just like airlines cut mystery food in most flights. It all ended up going to waste.

It's not just the cost of the chocolates but shipping them, etc. I'm guessing they were closer to five cents a piece, and a million dollars a year is a significant line item, regardless of the gross revenue.