Explorer Pacific Coast Internet Speeds

Clarea

I'll attempt to provide periodic internet speed results during the next 7 days.

These tests will all be using the Surf & Stream level package.

Download: 3.93 Mbps

Upload: 0.72 Mbps

Ping: 612 ms

IP: Harris CapRock

Facetime was usable, but a bit jerky That could be because the other end of link was on cellular.

I'll attempt to provide periodic internet speed results during the next 7 days.

These tests will all be using the Surf & Stream level package.

Download: 3.93 Mbps

Upload: 0.72 Mbps

Ping: 612 ms

IP: Harris CapRock

Facetime was usable, but a bit jerky That could be because the other end of link was on cellular.

Missed you by a week.

Last week, some days were quite slow, others were somewhat OK. The 2 sea days seemed to be the worst.

Now almost to the Pacific Ocean out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca:

Ping: 607 ms

Download: 1.29 Mbs

Upload: 0.53 Mbs

Jackie, gotta go, maybe Biker can explain the numbers.

John, I'll try to take some photos, but I'm not sure if I will know what antennas are for the internet. If I run into the IT manager, I'll try to get him to point them out.

Now almost to the Pacific Ocean out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca:

Ping: 607 ms

Download: 1.29 Mbs

Upload: 0.53 Mbs

Jackie, gotta go, maybe Biker can explain the numbers.

John, I'll try to take some photos, but I'm not sure if I will know what antennas are for the internet. If I run into the IT manager, I'll try to get him to point them out.

On Freedom it's two by Sky Bar and Two above main pool

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Bob, if you or anyone else had the time would you please provide the "Speed for Dummies" class? What do these #'s mean? I tried to Google it but came away more confused.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Here is how I think about it:

Download: Measured in Mega bits per second (Mbps) this is how fast internet content (video, photos, webpages, email) is loaded from the web onto your computer or device. When a video buffers or a webpage slowly populates, what you are experiencing is a slow download speed.

Upload: Same measurement of speed as download, but this is how fast your computer or device sends information to the web or another computer. When you hit 'Submit' on an order or send an email with a lot of photos and the little spinning dial appears, what you are seeing is your computer uploading the information. How long that spinning dial is there is dependent on upload rate.

Ping: If my computer asks your computer "Are you there?", this is how long it takes your computer to respond "Yes, I am." Measured in milliseconds, it's an indication of how slow or fast the connection between our computers is working. The Ping itself is an indication of if your computer is actually there, on, or able to respond.

IP: This is your computer's or the computer you are talking-to's Internet Protocol address. Think of it as the computer's street address if you were mailing a letter or putting your return address on an envelope. It's how the computers know where to send all the information they are uploading and downloading so furiously.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by JoyMouse

Download: Measured in Mega bits per second (Mbps) this is how fast internet content (video, photos, webpages, email) is loaded from the web onto your computer or device. When a video buffers or a webpage slowly populates, what you are experiencing is a slow download speed.

Upload: Same measurement of speed as download, but this is how fast your computer or device sends information to the web or another computer. When you hit 'Submit' on an order or send an email with a lot of photos and the little spinning dial appears, what you are seeing is your computer uploading the information. How long that spinning dial is there is dependent on upload rate.

Ping: If my computer asks your computer "Are you there?", this is how long it takes your computer to respond "Yes, I am." Measured in milliseconds, it's an indication of how slow or fast the connection between our computers is working. The Ping itself is an indication of if your computer is actually there, on, or able to respond.

IP: This is your computer's or the computer you are talking-to's Internet Protocol address. Think of it as the computer's street address if you were mailing a letter or putting your return address on an envelope. It's how the computers know where to send all the information they are uploading and downloading so furiously.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is an EXCELLENT summarization. May I ask another question? What #'s are considered good to great?

Thank you for taking the time to explain it all!!

That is an EXCELLENT summarization. May I ask another question? What #'s are considered good to great?

Thank you for taking the time to explain it all!!

Here's a little comparison. The bottom three numbers were when I had just VOOM Surf on the Grandeur in July. The middle two numbers were also on the Grandeur but after I upgraded to Surf & Stream. The top three numbers were from my wifi at home.

5d43204bdec8726ff94d22be87896cc0.jpg

Here's a little comparison. The bottom three numbers were when I had just VOOM Surf on the Grandeur in July. The middle two numbers were also on the Grandeur but after I upgraded to Surf & Stream. The top three numbers were from my wifi at home.

5d43204bdec8726ff94d22be87896cc0.jpg

The most significant number on this is the ping. Even with a relatively slow down/up speed (say 1Mbps), what you experience while web surfing can be quite good if the ping is low (less than 100 ms). Unfortunately on a ship (without O3B like Explorer), you are 25K+ miles from the nearest internet connection (up to the sat and back) - the physics of that won't allow for pings much better than about 600 ms. That translates to real slow page loads (which depends on both ping and down speed).

O3B equipped ships have an advantage in that the sats they use are much closer (lower altitude), allowing pings in the 200 ms range - and a much better web surfing experience.

The slowness experienced my most on a ship is mainly due to the ping. not so much the download speed (unless download speeds get real bad like below .5 Mbps). You can have plenty of download speed (the 4 Mbps that Bob showed is plenty fast for all apps) but the ping will make things slow. A web page and lots of other internet uses, have to fetch data in different chunks. Every fetch is limited by the ping rate. So it doesn't matter how fast the data is delivered when the initial request for the data (and acknowledgement of receipt) is real slow (due to the high ping).

The analogy would be that on a ship you are getting USPS ground mail speeds and at home you are getting FedEc next day air (on O3B equipped ships you get 2nd day FedEx). The size of the package doesn't matter much.

Edited by Biker19

Somewhere south of the Columbia River in the Pacific Ocean heading towards San Francisco.

Download: 4.04Mbps

Upload: 1.04 Mbps

Ping: 651 ms

The numbers don't seem to bad until you consider that I've had to log in 4 times to post this message.

Docked in San Francisco about 2 hours ago. Clear, sunny day. SUpoosed to get up into the 80's.

Download: 1.90 Mbps

Upload: 0.85 Mbps

Ping: 608 ms

Found out the log-in problem. They told us we had a 5-device package, but it's really a 1-device package, so my wife and I have been knocking each other off.

Docked in San Francisco about 2 hours ago. Clear, sunny day. SUpoosed to get up into the 80's.

Download: 1.90 Mbps

Upload: 0.85 Mbps

Ping: 608 ms

Found out the log-in problem. They told us we had a 5-device package, but it's really a 1-device package, so my wife and I have been knocking each other off.

Thanks for the chuckle. :D

:p - that's funny.

Funny thing was that we had a multiple device package for the first day, and then the management decided that they had made a mistake and cut it back to 1 device with no notification. So we got used to both using it at the same time and didn't realize the problem until someone explained about the policy change. Typical RC.