Sign the Petition to Home Port a ship in LA

John&LaLa

Would love to have a ship out of Los Angeles or San Diego. We did the Mexican Rivera so many times with carnival and the only reason for that is sometimes you just want to drive to port and take 3-4 days vacation or 7 days. NCL AND Princess cruise out of California few months out of the year so why can't RC do the same???? To accommodate her loyal customers. It is hard for seniors to always, always have to fly to cruise with their favorite cruise line. I would sighn if I thought it would matter I just don't think it will make change

This is ridiculous. Are people actually taking this seriously? You think a publicly traded corporation is going to make a major decision that will affect it's financial performance based on an online petition and the arguments might by a self declared well learned, yet wholely anonymous bunch of message board rats?

Seriously, move on to something more useful, like playing tic tac toe by yourself.

This is ridiculous. Are people actually taking this seriously? You think a publicly traded corporation is going to make a major decision that will affect it's financial performance based on an online petition and the arguments might by a self declared well learned, yet wholely anonymous bunch of message board rats?

Seriously, move on to something more useful, like playing tic tac toe by yourself.

Since you are on the EAST coast it isn't as important to you to have a ship near by like it is on the WEST coast?

So, some of us would like to have some input that may go no where..... but we had our say?? We don't have a RCL ship on our Coast year round.

Since you are on the EAST coast it isn't as important to you to have a ship near by like it is on the WEST coast?

So, some of us would like to have some input that may go no where..... but we had our say?? We don't have a RCL ship on our Coast year round.

I get wanting a ship on the west coast. But simply put, RCI has far more knowledgeable people making the sound financial decision. Petitions and ongoing self assuring dialogue is pure frivolity. Yet people are getting fired up like this all means anything....

I just heard from an insider high up at Royal that this is absolutely going to happen if this petition gets 100 signatures by the end of the day.

I just heard from an insider high up at Royal that this is absolutely going to happen if this petition gets 100 signatures by the end of the day.

I find that hard to believe---one can hope?

But it is nice to be able to sign and say what we would like. Better than sitting and wishing and not voicing your wishes. Sometimes a squeaky wheel can get some attention.......:)

Okie dokie, just having fun. Maybe I'll go waste some time sitting on my balcony and reflecting on wasted time. :rolleyes:

enhance

Moneys where its at.

If Explorer of the Seas starts selling out and the price goes up then we will see another ship out there.

Its one thing to put your name on some webpage somewhere....

....but money talks.

-Sean

Agreed. That's why we booked Jewel last year on day one. Those two Jewel Cal Coastals sold well (and the prices only went up after day one). We did not book Explorer this year as the DW wanted a warmer cruise.

I also think RC is looking at old Mariner data to say they lost money on the west coast. Mariner arrived just as swine flu hit. Truly bad timing. Other lines seem to do well on the west coast including Princess.

Wow, since last update, 11 people looked at it and only two signed. :eek:

Edited by John&LaLa

RCI has done the RT Hawaii cruises from LA with Serenade and Radiance, maybe other ships as well. There are all sorts of reasons why they left, but I've never understood their pulling out of the 3-4 night market. The 3-nighters made enough money to hit the budget for a full week (or so I was told by more than one hotel director who presumably sees the numbers). And they introduce the 40 million or so people who live in the western US to the concept of cruising. I think that RCI is likely operating with a razor thin margin for error, given all of the new builds and accompanying debt, so they can't afford the "lose money to make money" philosophy that seems to make sense. I've no idea if Princess, et al., make money, but I have to believe that they do. Otherwise they'd have left again.

I don't remember seeing a RT Hawaii on either the Serenade or Radiance. Unless one was doing a B2B. It's always been a seasonal cruise. Even back in the days when they would either start or end in Enscenada.

I went on a short cruise out of LA once on the Viking Serenade many years ago. It was primarily a party boat for Californian's. The fares were deep discounted. Can't imagine it being an itenerary that one would want to fly in for. Although I did it once out of curiosity I wouldn't do it ever again. But it is attractive for West Coasters. I agree with you on the Margin part.

Princess invested in a new dock in San Fran. My guess is that San Fran is a great destination port. They too end up discounting the California Coastals as many cancel close to final payment. But I think they also use San Fran and LA as a means to keep their ships on the West Coast during off-season. Alaska I would think is one of their biggest markets. Some ships start and end in CA during the summer.

LOL. Probably not but it is good entertainment to talk about the petition.

I agree with you on the bring back RCCL to New Orleans. Loved going out of there on RCCL (and Princess when they were testing the market). I am not so sure RCCL will be back due to the mega ships they are creating. They can't make it up the river. But even a old ship is better than the Carnival Dream out of there. Tried that once and it was a bit let down. :(

Agreed. That's why we booked Jewel last year on day one. Those two Jewel Cal Coastals sold well (and the prices only went up after day one). We did not book Explorer this year as the DW wanted a warmer cruise.

I also think RC is looking at old Mariner data to say they lost money on the west coast. Mariner arrived just as swine flu hit. Truly bad timing. Other lines seem to do well on the west coast including Princess.

The Mariner was in California (part of the time) when the economy and stock market were falling and people retirement accounts were going nothing but down. no one was traveling any were. We cruised the Mariner at that time in a promenade balcony for 500.00-600.00 for 2 but now time has changed and doing 2-3 nights cruises for 3-4 months straight like Princess for one season to see how it works would have been nice gesture to us. If after one season they still don't make the money they want than I can understand.

Nope, but I'd quite enjoy a Mexican Riviera, Pacific Coastal, Hawaii round trip, Panama Canal, etc...

Something tells me I'm going to burn out on East/West Caribbean

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Agreed. Any of your choices are also mine. So much cheaper for Western Canadians - in terms of cost and travel hours. Am already tired of the Caribbean.

>snip<

Princess invested in a new dock in San Fran. My guess is that San Fran is a great destination port. They too end up discounting the California Coastals as many cancel close to final payment. But I think they also use San Fran and LA as a means to keep their ships on the West Coast during off-season. Alaska I would think is one of their biggest markets. Some ships start and end in CA during the summer. >snip<

Regarding Princess, you are likely referring to Pier 27, the cruise terminal that opened in San Francisco in 2014. We docked there on the Jewel OTS last year in September and it is a beautiful terminal. On non-cruise days it converts to an event center. The Explorer OTS recently docked at Pier 27 and it is used by many cruise lines, including Princess, Crystal, NCL, Celebrity, Disney, HAL, Seabourn, Silversea (and The World will be there during sailings next Spring and Fall).

I took my sister on her first cruise back in 2001 on the ol' Viking Serenade and we had a blast. :D

p.s. Nice view from your balcony, John!

Regarding Princess, you are likely referring to Pier 27, the cruise terminal that opened in San Francisco in 2014. We docked there on the Jewel OTS last year in September and it is a beautiful terminal. On non-cruise days it converts to an event center. The Explorer OTS recently docked at Pier 27 and it is used by many cruise lines, including Princess, Crystal, NCL, Celebrity, Disney, HAL, Seabourn, Silversea (and The World will be there during sailings next Spring and Fall).

I took my sister on her first cruise back in 2001 on the ol' Viking Serenade and we had a blast. :D

p.s. Nice view from your balcony, John!

Yes. Pier 27 is much better than Pier 35. It didn't dawn on me there were other cruise lines using it. That's how much I cruise out of CA. :p I think it was the early 1990's when I went on the Viking Serenade. They did the Baja route out of San Pedro back then.

Pier27.jpg.35a13667319cf9b2ba6167434ad280b6.jpg

Okay, I have signed it, because competition stimulates business, and for the sake of completeness of having all important major cruise line @West Coast.

But my preferred cruise lines (Princess, NCL, and maybe HAL soon) sail there so actually it won't make any difference for me if RCCL sails from West Coast or not.

Sadly RCCL has stated some very showy comments, they're "offering an onboard experience they cannot provide at low prices. All other lines sailing West Coast sell such cruises @very low prices. RCCL spends more money on food, entertainment and the onbaord experience than others do." :D :rolleyes:

Now Holland America and Princess are low-cost-carriers - you never stop learning.

Does RCCL not manage to compete with e. g. Princess or Carnival at West Coast?

Carnival deploys three ships year-round from LA - Inspiration and Imagination on short runs, Miracle on weekly runs.

Princess sells 10 days Baja Mexico/Sea of Cortez at $900 - 1100 in an inside stateroom, that's low cost? :o

Also Princess has a strong presence at West Coast, with many ships: Ruby, Emerald (from fall 2017), Crown (until fall 2016), Star, and Grand Princess, all featuring different sailings between 7 and 10 nights mostly, from LA, SFO, and Vancouver. Added by Coral and Island Princess transferring from California to Alaska via West Coast.

Too much and hard competition for RCCL?

Edited by shipfriend_max