Australian cruises charge for using credit card

windsor26

It has been advised that Princess will be charging 1.5% on credit cards when used for on board accounts for all cruises out of Australia

So folks from USA bring plenty of dollars and save yourself that extra cost.

It has been advised that Princess will be charging 1.5% on credit cards when used for on board accounts for all cruises out of Australia

They charge it in the US, too, it is just 'built-in' to the fare or prices of onboard purchases. US law does not require disclosure as is the case in many other countries.

Edited by thinfool

They charge it in the US, too, it is just 'built-in' to the fare or prices of onboard purchases. US law does not require disclosure as is the case in many other countries.

Where do you get this info? So, you're saying that if one settles up in cash at the end of a cruise he can save 1.5% or whatever hidden fee Princess has tacked on?? Questionable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where do you get this info? So, you're saying that if one settles up in cash at the end of a cruise he can save 1.5% or whatever hidden fee Princess has tacked on?? Questionable.

Adding on 1.5% for credit card purchases is pretty common in Australia. All the hotels I have stayed at in the last several years add 1.5% and it is also done for many other large purchases like electronics and appliance stores, plus many taxi companies.

For hotels, typical practice in Australia is to use a credit card at check in and when you check out, either use cash or a debit card for the bill. This avoids having a hold put on your debit card during your stay.

So it's no surprise Princess is doing this in Australia since they've already converted their ships sailing there to be in AUD currency, built-in tips for cruises booked in Australia, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope, not saying that. It is a fact that processing fees in the US, sometimes amounting to 3% of the total purchase, are built into the price of the product.

So if you pay for an Aussie cruise in the US you will pay an amount that includes a credit card processing fee. Even if you pay cash, because Princess does not offer a 'cash' discount. When you get to the ship in Oz, you have the choice to settle onboard in cash, with no processing fee, or with a credit card and the attendant fee.

It used to be illegal for a merchant, in the US, to offer a 'cash' price and a 'credit' price. You see this occasionally at the gas pump. It is now legal, but no large retailers that I know of do it. Nor would you find this on a Princess cruise out of North America.

Edited by thinfool

It used to be illegal for a merchant, in the US, to offer a 'cash' price and a 'credit' price. You see this occasionally at the gas pump. It is now legal, but no large retailers that I know of do it. Nor would you find this on a Princess cruise out of North America.

It has never been "illegal" to offer a lower price for cash vs credit card in the US. What most credit card processors have in their terms of service for merchants is that they are not allowed to charge a premium for using using a credit card at purchase (or in effect offering a lower cash price). They do this obviously to ensure they are not discouraging the use of credit cards for payment. To my knowledge, this is still common practice in the US.

It has never been "illegal" to offer a lower price for cash vs credit card in the US. What most credit card processors have in their terms of service for merchants is that they are not allowed to charge a premium for using using a credit card at purchase (or in effect offering a lower cash price). They do this obviously to ensure they are not discouraging the use of credit cards for payment. To my knowledge, this is still common practice in the US.

No there actually was a law that prevented merchants from charging a different price for credit card vs cash. The law changed several years back. That is when you started to see the different prices at gas stations for cash vs credit.

There are still a number of states that laws requiring same price, such as new york, but there are ways around them.

The credit card processing agreement requiring same price have been beaten in court by a number of legal cases.

Edited by RDC1

No there actually was a law that prevented merchants from charging a different price for credit card vs cash. The law changed several years back. That is when you started to see the different prices at gas stations for cash vs credit.

There are still a number of states that laws requiring same price, such as new york, but there are ways around them.

The credit card processing agreement requiring same price have been beaten in court by a number of legal cases.

You're right. But it does vary by state, no blanket law that covers the entire US.

Is this a 'new' charge then? They never had it before?

And, you sure it is 1.5% service charge on credit cards?

I ask because my info just received from Princess is that it is a 1.1% service fee. Or are they charging different service fees depending on where you come from?

Edited by GandM-nq

Is this a 'new' charge then? They never had it before?

And, you sure it is 1.5% service charge on credit cards?

I ask because my info just received from Princess is that it is a 1.1% service fee. Or are they charging different service fees depending on where you come from?

Is this service fee in using credit card for on board charges only, or including cruise fare?

Yes it appears Princess Australian cruises are matching the rules used by P&O Australia and Carnival Australia in that debit cards and cash to cover your on board account is free but there will be a charge to use credit cards

We had hoped a few years ago that Australia were going to make charging for the use of credit cards illegal but it never got to parliament

Yes it appears Princess Australian cruises are matching the rules used by P&O Australia and Carnival Australia in that debit cards and cash to cover your on board account is free but there will be a charge to use credit cards

We had hoped a few years ago that Australia were going to make charging for the use of credit cards illegal but it never got to parliament

But waaaaay back when Bankcard was first introduced it was actually illegal.

if paying with a debit card there's no fee but if using your credit card its 1.5%

I have just received an email from Princess for my upcoming Golden cruise advising the following:

ONBOARD CURRENCY AND FOLIO CHARGES

As a reminder, all onboard charges for this voyage will be charged in Australian Dollars (AUD).

As is common practice in the Australian market, please be advised that onboard folios settled with a credit card will incur a 1.1% service charge. Folios settled in cash or with a debit card will not incur a fee. (Please note that using a debit card to settle your folio may result in an authorization hold which may take up to 30 days to clear.)

The information was called Emergency Notification so I wonder if things have changed.Note that the amount is given as 1.1% not 1.5%.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Nope, not saying that. It is a fact that processing fees in the US, sometimes amounting to 3% of the total purchase, are built into the price of the product.

So if you pay for an Aussie cruise in the US you will pay an amount that includes a credit card processing fee. Even if you pay cash, because Princess does not offer a 'cash' discount. When you get to the ship in Oz, you have the choice to settle onboard in cash, with no processing fee, or with a credit card and the attendant fee.

It would not be very popular with US costumers if businesses tried to pass credit/debit surcharges on to the customer. They may try but people's business would go elsewhere and there is just to much competition for it to take hold.

The fees mentioned are for Visa or MasterCard. For most places in Australia using an Amex or Diner's club card will set you back up to 3 or 4%. All fees are listed.

As for carrying a large bag of cash around calculate 1.5% of $2000. Is it worth it for the convenience of plastic?

....... please be advised that onboard folios settled with a credit card will incur a 1.1% service charge. Folios settled in cash or with a debit card will not incur a fee.

The information was called Emergency Notification so I wonder if things have changed.Note that the amount is given as 1.1% not 1.5%.

On our P&O (Australia) cruise in August/September 2016, there was a 1.1% charge to pay onboard accounts by credit card. We were given written notice of this when we checked in and there were also notices at the check in counter and on the desk at Passenger Services once onboard.

The fees mentioned are for Visa or MasterCard. For most places in Australia using an Amex or Diner's club card will set you back up to 3 or 4%. All fees are listed.

As for carrying a large bag of cash around calculate 1.5% of $2000. Is it worth it for the convenience of plastic?

The 1.1% came about as a change from the 1.5% blanket rate that Princess had on credit card fees up until a few weeks ago (for fare sales) They have now split the rate to 1.1% for Visa/Mastercard and 2.3% for Diners/Amex. I might be off by a fraction on the Amex rate as I paid for our last cruise on the way to the airport headed for Bali when our Princess cruise consultant let me know the bad news :)

As for the changes to onboard fees, this is the first I have heard of it nothing received by email other than our passage contract dated 8 Sep which has no mention of onboard cc fees.

In Canada and USA we don't get any extra charge for using credit cards fare billed in US/CA dollars.

The UK is different again some charge and some do not for using credit card.While in UK one can draw currency out in UK with CA. debit card but cannot be used in retail shops one has to use a credit card or cash.