Botox or Fillers

CaroleV

OMG...do NOT do that! These are MEDICAL PROCEDURES! The folks on the ship are not even trained or insured in America!

If you want some medical thing done....even teeth whitening.....DO IT AT HOME...before you cruise!

The most I'll do on a ship is a massage! That's it....that's all....not even a freaking haircut!

Edited by cb at sea

OMG...do NOT do that! These are MEDICAL PROCEDURES! The folks on the ship are not even trained or insured in America!

If you want some medical thing done....even teeth whitening.....DO IT AT HOME...before you cruise!

The most I'll do on a ship is a massage! That's it....that's all....not even a freaking haircut!

Ditto. What is your recourse for complications? Save a few bucks for???

I agree. Just wondering if they really offer this invasive procedure onboard.

Sadly...Yes they do. On our recent (May) cruise on Adventure, there was a (Dr :eek:) standing in the Promenade each night soliciting business :eek::eek:

I have to ask. What are fillers?

Juvaderm is an example of a filler. It is collagen injected into wrinkles to fill them out so they no longer are wrinkles. They can also be used in the lips to create a fuller appearance.

I looked into it all a few years back, but was talked out of it by my husband. He thinks I look great, and that's what really matters. :)

Just out of curiosity, I took a peek at the Salon/Spa menu and the Botox and filler treatments are the only thing that does NOT have a price. :eek:

They can't give a price until they consult and let you know how many vials will be needed to complete the work you'd like done. I'd say a starting point is probably at least $500. My friend is an MD who owns a medspa. She told me how much a vial of Botox costs her, but then added that four years of medical school is what her patients are actually paying for.

I love using the spa. I get a facial, a hot stone massage, a body scrub. None of these things will have adverse effects on my health unless I have some sort of completely unexpected adverse reaction--has never happened in 20+ years of spa-ing. The skin in my face is sensitive, and I always let them know this during the pre-treatment conversation. They always have used gentle products made for sensitive skin and I have never had a problem.

But a chemical peel? Injections of any type? Teeth whitening? Uh, no way. That's like allowing someone doing a pedicure on you to shave your callouses. Use a Emory type file, yup. Shave? You're nuts.

I think the curiosity and questions are good.

Depending on what it is that you want to do as others have said you can expect swelling and bruising particularly with the fillers. This can last a few days or more and you might need ice packs and heavy concealer for a few days of bruising.

For Botox at forehead for example, probably not so much but Botox takes a bit to have its effects kick in, it's not instantaneous.

I'd suggest your best bet it to have your treatments at home if you are looking to have a get ready refreshing. The results can be very uplifting and positive. You can catch yourself in the mirror and surprise even yourself with how subtle the effects can be.

Has anyone ever had a procedure done on a ship?

South Florida may be the plastic surgery capitol of the world and procedures such as botox and fillers and very reasonably priced by board licensed doctors because of so much competition.

My own dermatologist does Botox for $99 an area and that is a pretty common price.

I would imagine it is much more expensive on the ship.

I would do it here on vaycay before I'd do it on a ship.

I agree with you. They had a special when I was onboard. I spoke with the so called doctor. He said if there are any problems you would have to come back to Ft. Lauderdale"s hospital. I asked where his diplomas were, he responded "There in my office and can get them if you want".