Dave’s Trip To, Around and Into Australia, Sept. 26 – Nov. 23, 2016

RetiredMustang

I’ve decided to do another cruise blog, this time about our trip on Maasdam across the Pacific to Sydney

More later,

Dave

Looking forward to reading your reports.

We were on this same cruise as you only we would have boarded in Honolulu but the long sea days from here to Sydney was a tad too long!

We opted to go on an Asian cruise and leave in just about three weeks. HAL of course!

Safe journey Dave!

Sept. 27, Vancouver (Cont.)

We crossed under the Lions Gate Bridge just before daylight, and were morred just before 7 a.m. Here is a photo of the bridge I took as we were passing:

Lions%20Gate%20Bridge_zpsk0tart0c.jpg

Canadian authorities cleared the ship about 7:45 and passengers leaving the ship in Vancouver we invited to go ashore. We decided to wait until about 9 a.m. to leave. We went ashore and did some shopping for prosaic things like shampoo, and then had a coffee at a Tim Horton’s.

We had been told that we could return after 11, so we decided to do that, so we could beat the rush with U.S. customs. While waiting a few minutes, I got a shot of Maasdam moored at Canada Place:

Maasdam%20at%20Canada%20Place_zpsjpbx89a6.jpg

We then we went to the terminal, and found out that the agents were delayed by at least an hour. Instead of sitting in the terminal, we went to a pub we had seen on the way and had lunch (and a pint of real ale for me).

When we came back about 12:30, we were able to join the crowd and process through and back onto the ship. It went OK, but was quite a line, which we had tried to avoid.

We went to a reception for four and five star Mariners at 2 and had a drink and chat, and then returned to our cabin for a while. Boat drill is going on as I write, but it is only for those passengers who boarded today. Announcements are also being made for passengers from several cabins to go see customs .. right now!

More later,

Dave

Can you enlighten us on the "automatic handwashers" referred to in the first On Location? I wonder if they differ from the Purell dispensers?

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

It was super easy

insert your hands in the openings.

Let the washers do their thing.

Take hands out and dry with the paper towels.

FYI Paper towels are often used in food service.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Can you enlighten us on the "automatic handwashers" referred to in the first On Location? I wonder if they differ from the Purell dispensers?

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

They work very well. They actually wash the hands. That being said I wish I had them at work.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Some replies:

erewhon: our room cards are valid for the whole 52 days, and they list the table, so our presumption is that we keep the table throughout.

Thanks to all for your encouragement!

More later,

Dave

Thank you for your reply.

We lazed a bit on our balcony, enjoying the views of the Burrard Inlet and the far shore:

Vancouver%20harbor%201_zpsufvp0w2v.jpg

Vancouver%20harbor%202_zpsc5uoitlj.jpg

We also were captivated by the great number of seaplanes that were taking off and landing:

seaplanes%202_zpsstbjtqio.jpg

seaplanes%201_zpskwqh5csi.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

After some time admiring the views and action from our balcony, we went to the Ocean Bar for the first happy hour of the cruise, and enjoyed some wine and conversation with fellow passengers, before going into early fixed dinner. The boat drill completed without incident, and all the truant passengers were accounted for, and we cast off while DW and I were in the Ocean Bar. The captain came on the announcement system and apologized for the glitches with U.S. customs, but noted that we were now pre-cleared for Honolulu, which would speed up the process of us all transferring from the ship to the beach. He also offered everyone a gratis glass of champagne at dinner for the inconvenience of today.

Here are the MDR dinner and dessert menus:

27Sep_MDR%20dinner_zpsakosqxlp.jpg

27Sep_MDR%20dessert_zpsamp1iy2u.jpg

DW had the baked brie and the tri-tip steak main dish, while I went with the spinach and mushroom salad and the German pork chop. For dessert, DW had the cherries jubilee sundae, while I had the German Whisky Chocolate Torte. Here is a shot of the cake:

chocolate%20whiskey%20cake_zpsfqic7scv.jpg

More later,

Dave

Sept. 28, at sea

This is the first of several days at sea en route to Honolulu. I will post daily as long as the internet connection holds, but if/when it drops, I will keep adding to the blog and will post updates in Hawaii.

There are a lot of activities scheduled today, including a CC Meet and Greet at 10. We were also happy to see from the On Location that the ship will have Exploration Speakers.

Here are the first four pages of the On Location:

28SepOL_1_zpsrpgbt88i.jpg

28SepOL_2_zpswa1wmucp.jpg

28SepOL_3_zpsnolpehiq.jpg

28SepOL_4_zpskpfxxg4f.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Sept. 28, at sea (Cont.)

Here the other two pages of the On Location:

28SepOL_5_zps6ig64icj.jpg 28SepOL_6_zpsrmwuxii8.jpg

As we hoped, we also received the Explorer packet yesterday. Here is the front page with our itinerary for the Pacific crossing segment, showing the suggested attire for each day. There are four Gala nights scheduled:

Explorer%20cover%201_zpsuoqm0aya.jpg

More later,

Dave

Big Bad Dave

I'm so glad you are on another cruise adventure. Always love your notes and photos. Send some photos of your cabin and ship interior if you will. Looking forward to a daily view of what's going on.

Cheers,

Paul in St. Paul

Sept. 28, at sea (Cont.)

It’s been a good day so far. I went to the CC Meet and Greet at 10 and enjoyed talking with fellow cruisers. We had lunch in the Lido and then sat on our balcony for a while – it has been a great sunny day, and it was warm in the sun, but there was still a little chill in the air.

I got a couple of shots around the ship, and will take more as I go. Here are shots of the Lido and Sea View Pools:

Lido%20pool_zpsvar5k9xe.jpg

Sea%20View%20pool_zpswylqf6ne.jpg

And of the interior of an elevator, to show the decorations and color scheme:

Maasdam%20elevator_zps3cikstlx.jpg

More later,

Dave

Thank you for letting us cruise with you. What a great itinerary. I may have missed this in the "On Location" pages, but do they give you the outdoor temp? The Sea View Pool seemed a bit empty with such beautiful sunshine. We have been having such warm temps on the west coast I thought it might be warm as you cross the Pacific. All the info and photos make me want to book a nice long cruise. Thank you again for including us, Cherie

Thank you for letting us cruise with you. What a great itinerary. I may have missed this in the "On Location" pages, but do they give you the outdoor temp? The Sea View Pool seemed a bit empty with such beautiful sunshine. We have been having such warm temps on the west coast I thought it might be warm as you cross the Pacific. All the info and photos make me want to book a nice long cruise. Thank you again for including us, Cherie

Cherie,

The On Locations gave the forecast temps for Seattle and Vancouver, but I notice they are not included on the at-sea days so far. Basically, it is getting ncer and warmer as we go.

Dave

Sept. 28, at sea (Cont.)

We went into the Ocean Bar for happy hour tonight, and we asked a bartender to confirm what we thought we had heard the night before – is there a cost limit to the drink for qualifying for the second one for one dollar during happy hour?

He became the second bartender to say that any drink was eligible, including one of the most expensive drink on the bar menu, Remy Martin – you pay the regular price for the first, and the second is one dollar.

We stuck with our usual drinks, but I thought I should pass that on. I don’t know if it is fleet-wide, or only on Maasdam, but now you know FWIW. Ask the question on your next cruise.

After happy hour, we went to dinner in the MDR. Here are the dinner and dessert menus:

28Sep_MDRmenu_zps25swn6bg.jpg

28Sep_MDR%20dessert_zpsqaxe8g3z.jpg

DW and I both had the salad for starter, She had the flank steak for main dish, while I chose the wiener schnitzel. For dessert, DW had the cherry crisp, and I went for something lighter, the raspberry sorbet.

More later,

Dave