Hurricane Threat

Mr. SAS

Weather Update – 9/30/16 – 10:00PM (EST)

We continue to monitor Hurricane Matthew in the Caribbean. According to the last projected track, we have made the following changes to ships sailing this weekend.

Carnival Sensation – 10/1/16 departure

We will need to cancel our calls in Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk and replace them with visits to Costa Maya, Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico. Please find the new itinerary below.

Day*****Port*****************************Arrival**************Departure

Sat*******Miami, FL******************************************* * 4:00PM

Sun******Fun Day @ Sea

Mon*****Costa Maya, Mexico***8:00AM****** **** 7:00PM

Tue******Cozumel, Mexico*********7:00AM********* 10:00PM

Wed*****Fun Day @ Sea

Thu******Miami, FL******************** * 8:00AM

Carnival Splendor – 10/2/16 departure

We will need to reverse the order of our port visits. Please find the new itinerary below.

Day*****Port*****************************Arrival**************Departure

Sun******Miami, FL******************************************** 4:00PM

Mon*****Fun Day @ Sea

Tue******Cozumel, Mexico**********7:00AM*********3:00PM

Wed*****Grand Cayman*************9:00AM*********5:00PM

Thu******Ocho Rios, Jamaica*****7:30AM********3:30PM

Fri********Fun Day @ Sea

Sat*******Miami, FL******************* ***7:00AM

All other sailings departing on or after Saturday, October 1, 2016 continue to operate as scheduled.**In the event we need to make a change to the itinerary, we will update our guests.**

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships will maintain a safe distance from the storm at all times.

For the latest information regarding your sailing, please continue to monitor this site.**We will post the next update after 8:00PM on Saturday, October 1, 2016.

Yeah much better the captive Cubans endure the storm than folks who could whole up in Miami for a day... [emoji849]

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but that just sound bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's the mountains of Cuba that could hopefully knock it down a bit.

For those crusing to Jamaica later this week:

Looks like Matthew will be well north of Jamaica mid-week. However, will it have enough infrastructure for cruise visitors just after getting hit by a Cat 5 hurricane? I know it's too early to tell, however I have my doubts.

For those crusing this weekend, please stay safe. I'd cruise. But a Cat 5 isn't anything to mess with. Matthew is one big bully. Ain't nothing gonna breaka his stride.

Edited by LadyBeBop

Do they ever give the option to cancel the cruise with a full refund, in situations like these?

Yes they can. But they try to do it before embarcation day so people don't travel. also they try to find alternative ports if possible.

This is why you need to pay close attention to what the cruise line communicates to you via email and have trip insurance in advance.

For those crusing to Jamaica later this week:

Looks like Matthew will be well north of Jamaica mid-week. However, will it have enough infrastructure for cruise visitors just after getting hit by a Cat 5 hurricane? I know it's too early to tell, however I have my doubts.

For those crusing this weekend, please stay safe. I'd cruise. But a Cat 5 isn't anything to mess with. Matthew is one big bully. Ain't nothing gonna breaka his stride.

One of the local hurricane guys here, happens to think the models are wrong on the sharp turn and that Matthew continues west, missing the impact of the cold front and jet stream currents that are projected to steer it abruptly north. so who the heck knows what going to happen.

Lady Bebop... Off topic, but who's your fav bebop artist? Hopefully not the S. Korean pop group.:rolleyes: I enjoy listening to them all but have a preference for Dr. Roach, as I met him several times in the 70s; Bud Powell; Red Callender; and Eddie"lock Jaw" Davis.

I cannot believe Carnival hasn't posted a new itinerary for Pride yet.. It currently puts us in Grand Turk and Bahamas Wed-Fri. I don't see that happening.

Dying to know about pride also! Luckily we r only 40 minutes from port. Can't imagine my stress if we were flying in!

Dying to know about pride also! Luckily we r only 40 minutes from port. Can't imagine my stress if we were flying in!

Thankfully, we're driving down too..from Harrisburg. I'm so glad we don't have to fly. I'd be a hot mess lol

I cannot believe Carnival hasn't posted a new itinerary for Pride yet.. It currently puts us in Grand Turk and Bahamas Wed-Fri. I don't see that happening.

Same here. Waiting to see where we are going so I know what to pack.

My family and I are booked on the Dream departing from New Orleans on Sunday with ports of call in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. Our kids will be out of school on fall break, so we rolled the dice with booking during hurricane season.

Of course, six days before our departure, a tropical disturbance is forming in the Atlantic. The National Hurricane Center is "predicting" a track right across our cruise path for late next week.

Does anyone have any experience with how the cruise line handles a hurricane threat? I can only imagine how much lost revenue a cruise would suffer from drink sales alone if they got anywhere near a major storm. I can envision a "worst case scenario" where Carnival might just write off Belize and Roatan and we hit Progreso, Cozumel and Key West instead.

Thoughts?

Don't worry about it. Carnival takes good care of their guest! My family and I were out during Hurricane Katrina. We were kept abreast of the storm by the Captain. At one point we were 80 miles from the eye of the storm. We were-routed to Ft. Lauderdale and transportation was handled by Carnival and we arrived home safe.

Focus on having a wonderful Carnival Cruise!

FYI--back in 2005(?) several cruise lines sent their ships leaving from Baltimore and NYC on foliage cruises along the coast in the Northeast instead of the Bahamas/Bermuda to avoid storms.

Passengers didn't find out until they arrived at the docks, and we're not packed for fall weather, they were packed for sunshine. Not saying this will happen, but I am just pointing out that it has happened in the past, and it's something to keep in the backs of your minds.

Hopefully Matthew will lose a lot of steam as he passes over the mountains of Cuba, the Cubans will weather the storm well (it's not their first rodeo and they seem to be able to manage large storms better than many) and it will continue as a fish spinner between mainland US and Bermuda and have minimal impact in lives and property.

For those dealing with changes to their cruise, keep it in perspective

compared to what many will be handling in the aftermath.

Not to be to dramatic, but I urge those travelling to the Caribbean on any of the boats to rethink your decisions. My brother Bill was being me this will be the deadliest hurricane since Katrina. It is so big and destructive, they are looking at catagorying it at a Cat 6. Would be a first. Please, if you decide to go against my advice, make sure you have your life vests with you at all times!

Not to be to dramatic, but I urge those travelling to the Caribbean on any of the boats to rethink your decisions. My brother Bill was being me this will be the deadliest hurricane since Katrina. It is so big and destructive, they are looking at catagorying it at a Cat 6. Would be a first. Please, if you decide to go against my advice, make sure you have your life vests with you at all times!

Yeah cause a life vest will do tons of good in a swirling mass of rain and waves of 35 feet.

Seriously? Carnival is not going to cruise into the hurricane, they will reroute and keep the crew, passengers, and their mega million ships safe.

Kindly leave your life vests in your stateroom but if you do decide to wear it non stop bling it up some for elegant night. Pearls may be a good choice.

Really?, it was a 5 now a 4 so who said 6? Lol

LMAO! What is this trash? Carnival WILL NOT put their boats or passengers in harms way. Give me a break.

On a personal level. I am on Sensation on 10/15 with stops at Half Moon 10/17 and Grand Turk 10/18. It looks like Matthew is going to hit Half Moon dead on with the latest weather guidance. Does anyone know how long it takes them to get HMC back into shape for guests? It is one of our favorites and to miss it would stink for sure.

John Heald made a video this morning discussing what happens behind the scenes when a hurricane is forecasted and what the ship changes are today. Most interesting.

WOuld you happen to have a link to that vid? I cant find it on his blog. Thanks!

NVM. Found it thanks!

Edited by clskinsfan

Carnival hasn't posted anything on the Ecstasy's changes either. With us on the east coast and it may come around Charleston anytime the day we are due back, I hope they don't cancel the cruise altogether. They wouldn't cancel the cruise the night before our departure would they? SO READY TO CRUISE.:confused:

Carnival hasn't posted anything on the Ecstasy's changes either. With us on the east coast and it may come around Charleston anytime the day we are due back, I hope they don't cancel the cruise altogether. They wouldn't cancel the cruise the night before our departure would they? SO READY TO CRUISE.:confused:

Wow. I cant believe they havent changed your destinations. You are going to be right in the path while Matthew is coming through. I am sure they will change you tonight. I doubt they will cancel the cruise though.