Kids' gratuities and costs

Frogmill0

Thanks to everyone else who replied. I know the whole question of gratuities seems to polarise opinions but because it hasn't in relation to my question I guess we have to hold our hands up and concede that we should pay up with a smile.

The charge that some mistakenly call a gratuity should simply be considered an unadvertised cost of the ticket. They make it pretty clear that the charge is how the crew gets paid.

Once you realize and accept that it is how the system works you'll do better.

Will tgyhey take showers, use bath owe;t s;leep in beds, eeat in the rewestaurantss? stewards will be providin g the same services for them abed s have to be made, the bathrrom cleaned afterheir beds hey shower etxc. O fc ourse, all buestss should bd gtipping.

Edited by sail7seas

No, I haven't disappeared. I've been assimilating the comments.

Thanks to everyone else who replied. I know the whole question of gratuities seems to polarise opinions but because it hasn't in relation to my question I guess we have to hold our hands up and concede that we should pay up with a smile.

I feel, though, I should point out that my wife and I are experienced cruisers (Diamond members with RCL) and we are well aware that cruise companies do everything they can to get every last cent out of their customers. And in reply to LHT28 and cheeseclan it is not the case that we can't afford it. This cruise is costing nearly £16K and for RCL to charge gratuities for the kids as well seemed to be taking the mickey.

If your cabin selection was financially life changing why didn't you book more affordable cabins?

But you chose to sail RCL & being experienced cruisers you know they expect the gratuities to be paid

You have how many people sailing for 16K ?

we spend that much for 2 of us but we still pay up

If you feel strongly about having to pay tips for the twins go to reception when you board & ask for them to be removed

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5524

Guess I just see it differently because it doesn't say anything about removing them, only adjusting them. In addition, it says the adjustment can be made for unsatisfactory service. What would be the OP's reason for asking them to be removed when they board?:confused:

"Taking the mickey"? That's ridiculous. Quite apart from the fact that the twins will be creating extra work for the steward because of the sofa bed, they'll be creating extra work for the steward and the dining staff because they're young children. And it's even MORE ridiculous to complain because you are spending over 16K pounds on a cruise and then complaining about a few extra pounds. Good grief.

Guess I just see it differently because it doesn't say anything about removing them, only adjusting them. In addition, it says the adjustment can be made for unsatisfactory service. What would be the OP's reason for asking them to be removed when they board?:confused:

I never said they COULD be removed

I said ask for them to be removed ...will it happen maybe or maybe not :rolleyes:

***.....?

[As has been statedd a numre of gtimes. the gtwins will redfce3ive qnde re3 t5h3 werfice qall guestss get. QLL gueswstss should pay the gratuitiewws

As has been stated a number of times, the twins will receive and get the service all guests get. All guests should pay the gratuities.

My son who was 4 on our last cruise got the best service out of the lot of us, our waiter team would always make sure his drink of choice was waiting for him, one of them was rounding up 2-3 red jellos a night just for him every night. And he certainly made enough of a mess in the cabin with his toothpaste squeezing skills and tendency to leave a trail of crumbs wherever he goes. The staff definitely earned their gratuity that week.

I can see where you are coming from to an extent, if you haven't really cruised with children before and are not used to having to pay for things for them. It would seem like they are going to take up less space and eat less food etc, but the reality is that they often make more work for the staff than most adults do. Of all the places where a child discount might make sense, the gratuity is not one of them.

OP appears to be from the UK since they paid 16,000 pounds. In the UK tips are less common.

This may be a case of buyers remorse and I think you cannot cancel or downsize in the UK.

I suggest they pay the gratuities, enjoy the cruise, and try to minimize further expenses like planning ports since independent tours for a group of 6 can often be done for less than excursions.

I wonder if it is possible to switch out the drink package for OBC since the cruise line usually offers a choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

OP appears to be from the UK since they paid 16,000 pounds. In the UK tips are less common.

This may be a case of buyers remorse and I think you cannot cancel or downsize in the UK.

I suggest they pay the gratuities, enjoy the cruise, and try to minimize further expenses like planning ports since independent tours for a group of 6 can often be done for less than excursions.

I wonder if it is possible to switch out the drink package for OBC since the cruise line usually offers a choice.

OP has noted his considerable experience with the line - citing his status. He can hardly clam inexperience - he simply feels entitled to cut his costs, at the expense of those providing personal service to him and his family.

It is easy to see how this might happen with people from the UK, although sailing with RCCL for years this was probably as a couple with wife and not with children.

If they had sailed with P&O UK for years children up to twelve years of age will not be charged auto tips.

Then all of a sudden an extended family cruise occurs with daughter, partner and step children of 5 years old when you are of a different mindset from past experience.

How much does the average American tip a London bus driver for a normal local bus ride?

Regards John

It is easy to see how this might happen with people from the UK, although sailing with RCCL for years this was probably as a couple with wife and not with children.

If they had sailed with P&O UK for years children up to twelve years of age will not be charged auto tips.

Then all of a sudden an extended family cruise occurs with daughter, partner and step children of 5 years old when you are of a different mindset from past experience.

How much does the average American tip a London bus driver for a normal local bus ride?

Regards John

Americans don't tip normal local or long haul bus drivers, only tour bus drivers.

But the OP is not cruising on P & O so moot point in this thread

Most UK cruisers are more likely to sail on their national cruise line and as such would likely assume that all lines worldwide would have similar customs particularly in relation to tips. Many people I know would think it strange that children are charged tips.

Regards John

Most UK cruisers are more likely to sail on their national cruise line and as such would likely assume that all lines worldwide would have similar customs particularly in relation to tips. Many people I know would think it strange that children are charged tips.

Regards John

But, the OP is Diamond on Royal Carribean so that's a decent amount of cruises on a non-British line.;) Granted, they don't have many posts but that doesn't mean they couldn't have been reading in their four years on CC. Also, in all their Royal cruises did they never read all the information available from the cruise line?

When we went on our first cruise, we read all the info any number of times and I still read it just to see if anything has changed. We've cruised on four different lines and always review for each line's policies.

I think the point is when we book a cruise, we expect the cruise line to honor allt ERMS of our booking. Why whoul we not honor all theterms?. When we book,we know automatic tipping Is how they operate. I DON'T CONSIDER it very honorable to enter this agrement, expect the cruise line to honor all terms but the cruiser chooses to disregard gterms they agreed to.

Edited by sail7seas

I believe everyone should pay their gratuities/service charge and being an experienced cruiser, the OP knew what they were signing up for when they booked the cruise. If the OP decides to reduce/remove the tips for the twins, he should make sure he tells the Cabin Steward not to worry about making up the sofa bed they will be sleeping on, not to bring extra towels for the twins and that the family will clean up any mess they should make.