taking a thermos of coffee off the ship?

BuckeyeMark

Oh no worries - we have established not to take stuff off the ship in Chile! I might not get of the ship in Chile!

I really can't wait for this cruise ... Newport, Boston, St. John, Halifax and Chile. Might be a day at sea between those two last ports...:D

Haha. My response was not for you but for the person I quoted in the message. That's how message boards work, you see. :rolleyes:

Exactly. In Mexico we were not even allowed to take off a bottle of water. I think they wanted us to support the local economy. Well' date=' given that I won't eat or drink in Mexico, I turned around and reboarded the ship. How's that for 'contributing" to the economy. Now I don't book cruises that go there.[/quote']

Not sure who you think they are. However, the rules are set by country. Most of the countries in North and South America have very strict rules concerning food and other agricultural products, including the US. The laws are not to encourage local consumption, they are designed to prevent pests, and agricultural diseases from transferring between countries.

We were told in at least one country (Mexico?) upon disembarking that it was ILLEGAL to take food or beverages off the ship. So be sure to check ahead of time!

I frequently take food off the ship in Mexico. I take several boxes of the packaged cereal from the buffet. I give it to the tour guides for their kids. They love it. Call me weird.

I frequently take food off the ship in Mexico. I take several boxes of the packaged cereal from the buffet. I give it to the tour guides for their kids. They love it. Call me weird.

Hi, Weird! :) LOL. Prepackaged foods are not a problem in Mexico.

Exactly. In Mexico we were not even allowed to take off a bottle of water. I think they wanted us to support the local economy. Well' date=' given that I won't eat or drink in Mexico, I turned around and reboarded the ship. How's that for 'contributing" to the economy. Now I don't book cruises that go there.[/quote']

We have had no problem taking water off the ship in Mexico. (Princess even sells water bottles on your way to the gangway.)

Funny story, last time we were in Princess Cays the young man helping us find a good spot and moving our lounge chairs for us was fascinated by the size of the cup. If this had been our last stop I would have given it to him, but since it was the first stop and we had 3 more beach days ahead I didn't offer it. He wanted to know where I bought it. I told him 7-11 and he had no idea what I was talking about. He had never been off the island of Eleuthera. Try explaining the concept of 7-11 to someone who had never been to one!

As a frequent visitor to the US, one thing that amazes me. Does anyone actually buy those hotdog rotating away in a 7-11, I'm sure they are the actual same hotdogs I see every visit .......

Funny story, last time we were in Princess Cays the young man helping us find a good spot and moving our lounge chairs for us was fascinated by the size of the cup. If this had been our last stop I would have given it to him, but since it was the first stop and we had 3 more beach days ahead I didn't offer it. He wanted to know where I bought it. I told him 7-11 and he had no idea what I was talking about. He had never been off the island of Eleuthera. Try explaining the concept of 7-11 to someone who had never been to one!

As a frequent visitor to the US, one thing that amazes me. Does anyone actually buy those hotdog rotating away in a 7-11, I'm sure they are the actual same hotdogs I see every visit .......

Apparently. They are quite popular at the 7/11 about a mile from my house, which gets a heavy business from landscape crews and similar.

We have had no problem taking water off the ship in Mexico. (Princess even sells water bottles on your way to the gangway.)

after several cruises with port visits in Mexico ,thats thats my experience also...

Here's different perspective with regards to the thermos. Granted I love to leisurely sip coffee, and it sounds marvelous I would refrain for risk of losing your thermos. You may be able to walk off with it, but coming onboard is another issue. The thermos may be considered as another way of bringing alcohol or drugs on board. Your thermos would be confiscated and tossed by any port authority clearance you may go through before even arriving at the Princess security check-point. I would not want to risk even being put into this situation.

Did you ever think about opening the bottle to show there wasn't anything inside. :rolleyes:

I really have never heard of anyone losing a thermos to security. While I have seen security look at a bottle of water to see if it is really alcohol (the alcohol will be a bit swirly when shaken), that's always been shoreside security on embarkation day. I would not allow them to take anything of mine without a polite argument in which I invite the guy from the ship who's always hanging around near security to intervene.

I suppose you could dissolve drugs in water to get them aboard, but how would you then get them back? Some interesting possibilities there if the guy freaks out if told his bag is leaking ...

Coffee, an infusion of roasted and ground seeds, is generally not a threat to local agriculture or health. Customs officials are there for specific purposes, and while there are exceptions, are not out to give a hard time to passengers on the ship that lays the golden eggs.

Edited by Wehwalt

What port was it in Mexico?

Cabo, PV and Matzlan all let u bring H20 off, in fact they sell it as you r disembarking.....

One of our favorite pics is the two of us (taken by Princess photog) holding "To Go" cups from the IC upon disembarking at Barbados. Not a word was said about the coffee. As mentioned above, guess it depends on country visiting.

In Canada (maybe other places) they won't let you take a cup of coffee off the ship if from the IC. I think this has more to do with the disposable cups that it has to do with the coffee itself. As others have said, I would ask onboard but I don't think a thermos would be an issue.

But, I know the cruiseline does not want you taking their food off the ship. I understand why no fruit or fresh foods can be taken onto shore ... I always pack a sealed granola bar or snack of some sort of sealed snack for excursions and never had an issue with that. But .... there are some countries where even that is not allowed. The US and Canada are not in the list of those countries that prohibit this.

Funny thing about Cabo they were checking like crazy one morning for food & a week later at around 12 noon they could hardly care less.

You just never know.

Esenada is the same way, sometimes they have the dogs checking every bag and you walk right thru an hour later with no check.

Just the life of cruising..... you can count on it never being consistent even on B2Bs you can have total different experiences....

In Canada (maybe other places) they won't let you take a cup of coffee off the ship if from the IC. I think this has more to do with the disposable cups that it has to do with the coffee itself. As others have said, I would ask onboard but I don't think a thermos would be an issue.

But, I know the cruiseline does not want you taking their food off the ship. I understand why no fruit or fresh foods can be taken onto shore ... I always pack a sealed granola bar or snack of some sort of sealed snack for excursions and never had an issue with that. But .... there are some countries where even that is not allowed. The US and Canada are not in the list of those countries that prohibit this.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful.

The rules are generally driven by the country the port is in together with the other countries on the cruise. North as South American countries have fairly strit agriculture restrictions. Did not have any in Iceland on recent cruise.

This has been our experience too....some ports they are strict and others there is no problem....do not believe there is a yes or no answer to the proposed question unless you are onboard and ask....:)

On our last Alaskan cruise 2 years ago....

I do not remember what port we were getting off the ship the Princess crew gave everyone a new bottle of water as we got off the ship for the day.

I am not sure if this is normal or why they even did it...just different but nice to bc I drink a lot of water!

Edited by nanabananna

On the Ocean Princess in Iceland two years ago, I brought oranges ashore with me because I was doing a hike and wanted nourishment. Nothing in the patter, no customs search. I guess the state of the Icelandic citrus industry is beyond anything we can do to affect it!

On the Ocean Princess in Iceland two years ago, I brought oranges ashore with me because I was doing a hike and wanted nourishment. Nothing in the patter, no customs search. I guess the state of the Icelandic citrus industry is beyond anything we can do to affect it!

I hope you stayed out of greenhouses. :D

(AP) Reykjavik - Today Iceland announced that they are officially ending all attempts to grow citrus. Many had thought the effort was in vain due to Iceland's growing season lasting only 17 hours a year but government officials announced that wasn't the problem. "We had the grow lights. We were ready for the endless darkness and cold." However, officials said, a strange citrus mite has infected both of Iceland's citrus trees, killing them stone dead. "Our citrus industry is gone. Gone. And we think it happened when a cruise passenger brought oranges ashore for a hike." A full investigation will follow, the government said. Until that can be completed Iceland is pleading with all nations, especially Canada, to bar coffee thermoses from entry."